BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question 1) Does anyone know if LIDAR has judicial notice in BC? If it doesn't the prosecutor technically has to bring in an expert witness saying that LIDAR is an effective tool in measuring speed.

I tried searching for "judicial notice" and LIDAR on this forum and on google but can't find anything on it. I did find that Ontario has given LIDAR judicial notice, but I have not read anything about it in BC.

If BC has not given LIDAR official notice then it's a simple way to try and get out of a speeding ticket.

Question 2) Also, does anyone know why the police officers don't write the distance the vehicle was at when the LIDAR "clocked" you. I would think that this is a piece of vital information since without it, I can not properly determine how wide the laser beam actually was when it hit the vehicle/bike. Some places (esp in the States) are actually required to write this distance down.

Question 3) Does anyone know if the rules for VPD require that officers get a visual estimate before the use of LIDAR/RADAR?

Anyways, just looking for ways to get out of a ticket. Thanks for your input.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
If you're looking to get out of a ticket, your best bet is probably just to have a valid reason why you cannot go to court on the date you received, and to ask for a postponement to a later date. The chances are already in your favour that the cop will not show up, and they'll be even better if you can get the date postponed.

·
Gear Driven Cams
4,411 Posts
Were you actually speeding, and now just trying to weasel out of it, or were you actually driving within the limit?

Speeding? Pay the fine.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts