BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
100% Asshole
3,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm curious how many have swapped to a lithium battery from a conventional one. Was it worth the money? Have you had any issues? Did you have to purchase a different charger and do you have any regrets on the money spent?

·
Beer League Racer/Asshole
5,226 Posts
I run Shorai batteries and I have the charger for it. The RC and the Ducati, the high compression twins, it cranks way better/easier with the lithium. I don't notice a difference on inline4s though. No regrets on any of the money spent on the Shorai. They seem to last just as long as conventional, but seem to provide better/more cranking amps.

·
Premium Member
11,196 Posts
I would not swap it until the old one dies. But if you don't mind the extra bucks they work great. And a lot lighter to boot. You'd only need the special (actually not that special) charger if you don't run it in the bike often enough. And that's pretty rare since they hold their charge amazingly well. Even over winter.

I got one so it would fit all three bikes. The small size fits the smallest battery compartment easily. But it also easily starts the engine that had the biggest battery.

The charger you need is not expensive either. But finding the proper cell balancing cable can be an issue. The chargers are common in the electric powered radio control model world. You just need to find the right connecting cable to go from the battery to the charger.

·
100% Asshole
3,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Awesome thanks guys the old lead acid is now dead and a new lithium is on order along with a charger. Surprisingly cheaper than what I expected and not a lot more than the cost of the Yuasa I purchased a few years back

·
That shine guy
139 Posts
They are the way to go.
I have a FullSpectrum battery in the R1 with matching tender. They have some cool features like a reserve. So if you have done something silly and left the key on or something, the battery has a button on top of the battery. You can push this button and it will give you enough juice for one more attempt at starting.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts