BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Rhinotillexomania
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this is a mild repost but we really need something like this in BC.

www.lojack.com

LoJack for motorcycles uses a small, silent transmitter that's hidden within your motorcycle. Once police enter a stolen vehicle report, LoJack is automatically activated and enables the police to track and recover your motorcycle.

It actually has a 2 year warranty offering your money back if it isn't recovered in 24 hours.

Honestly I'm surprised that it isn't available here, with the bait car program and stuck here. I guess we don't have a large enough market for it unlike California.

·
Registered
118 Posts
You have insurance. . .Why bother with the LoJack? If it's recovered, you probably don't even want it back. Cuz I know I don't want it back. . It won't drive the same anymore..

·
Gear Driven Cams
4,411 Posts
gixxstar said:
Talk to Talon. They have a GPS alarm.
I would have one of these, but there's a problem with them: They come with a monthly fee.

What I want is a GPS- and Cellular-based system that can share the cell contract that I already have. It will never be used unless the bike is stolen, so it should cost *nothing* until the alarm goes off. And even then, it should be using the unused minutes that I have each month on my current contract.

Build a system like that, and i'll buy it.

Oh, and the GPS should be active whenever the bike is running, and it should have bluetooth so I can read it with my organizer. That way I don't need to carry *two* GPS' on the bike.

·
Registered
66 Posts
same here if my bike got stolen they can keep it thats why i got fire and theft on my bike!who wants a damaged bagged out bike back not me.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Spike said:
Oh, and the GPS should be active whenever the bike is running, and it should have bluetooth so I can read it with my organizer. That way I don't need to carry *two* GPS' on the bike.
the GPS should also be able to automatically dispatch EMS, 911, Fire Truck in case you crash.. a voice should come on and ask if you are okay.. if there is no answer, emergency services will be dispatched to your location..

F

·
0 Posts
Some guy on kawiforums.com had a lojack on his 636 that got stolen (funny thing is it was sitting next to an non-lojack Ducati, silly thieves) and the cops traced it to some guys garage and they found a few more stolen bikes in there. It's a sweet idea but I think it's like $750 US, might as well pay for the insurance.

T

·
0 Posts
schnitzer said:
You have insurance. . .Why bother with the LoJack? If it's recovered, you probably don't even want it back. Cuz I know I don't want it back. . It won't drive the same anymore..
I'd get it just to nail the fuckers.

·
... as in "off my bike?"
397 Posts
Spike said:
I would have one of these, but there's a problem with them: They come with a monthly fee.

What I want is a GPS- and Cellular-based system that can share the cell contract that I already have. It will never be used unless the bike is stolen, so it should cost *nothing* until the alarm goes off. And even then, it should be using the unused minutes that I have each month on my current contract.

Build a system like that, and i'll buy it.

I'll take one of those as well!

Sure, insurance pays for *most* of what you lost when stolen (provided you've paid for theft coverage) but as someone who has lost multiple vehicles to theifs (cars only so far *knock on wood* -- and both had "regular" alarms) I'll pay the extra for an alarm where I can catch the [email protected]$%ers red handed!

·
Gear Driven Cams
4,411 Posts
schnitzer said:
the GPS should also be able to automatically dispatch EMS, 911, Fire Truck in case you crash.. a voice should come on and ask if you are okay.. if there is no answer, emergency services will be dispatched to your location..
You jest, but everything I want on my feature list is already available cheaply. A standard bluetooth GPS will log the track and output an NMEA string through bluetooth. Tie the power too the ignition, and that takes care of the GPS side. The cell side is already there too, there are a few cell-based alarms for bikes now.

The killer features are (1) putting the two together, (2) freeing the bluetooth stream for use by an organiser, and (3) having the cell share your current cell plan without needing a new contract.

·
I make grown adults cry!
344 Posts
Honestly I'm surprised that it isn't available here
The cops won't respond to the info on this side of the border. In other words, when the company phones the cops, the cops will take a report, say "Uh-huh, it's a 123 Bloggins Street, yeah, we'll get on that...later."

·
Registered
292 Posts
I'm thinking of going with a GPS... That way if it gets stolen I can retrieve it myself (and by myself i mean with 10 guys with baseball bats and a budget van in case they have something i want to steal from them).

·
Ridin' Dirty
852 Posts
:laughing :laughing you guys are too funny, some great ideas for payback :laughing :laughing I'm taking applications for the meanest, biggest bad ass dog. Who needs alarms and high tech gadgets or the cops for that matter. Dogs like to bury things :evilgrin

·
Gear Driven Cams
4,411 Posts
Ciebien said:
I'm thinking of going with a GPS... That way if it gets stolen I can retrieve it myself (and by myself i mean with 10 guys with baseball bats and a budget van in case they have something i want to steal from them).
How do you find it? The GPS position info has to be transmitted somehow. You'll either need an amateur radio setup, or a cell-based setup like Talon sells.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Spike said:
How do you find it? The GPS position info has to be transmitted somehow. You'll either need an amateur radio setup, or a cell-based setup like Talon sells.

You can track it with anything with internet setup... cell phone... computer...

·
What? I can't hear you...
110 Posts
There is a product like LoJack in Canada. The first, and largest is called Boomerang, and the second's name escapes me but it is ideal for most uses. It comes in two variations, one of which is constantly monitored by yourself via the interweb, and tracks all the bike's movements. Not only does this guarantee recovery within 24 hours (as the company does) but it also means you can look back in time to see how fast you were going at a certain time, giving you additional evidence should you choose to dispute a speeding ticket. Beyond that it has user-controllable outputs, including engine kill and the like.

The second variant is appealing to those of you who shy away from monthly bills... it is identical to the first, however, the cellular unit in the box doesn't get activated until you call your bike in as stolen. The company then charges you 50 bucks to activate the unit and get a fix on the bike (which apparently takes 10 minutes or less), a fee I think most of us would gladly pay when our baby goes missing.

Both systems retail for $299, with the monthly fee version costing you an additional $9.95 US a month. If anyone is interested I will look back in my records and find the manufacturer.

·
Gear Driven Cams
4,411 Posts
Ciebien said:
You can track it with anything with internet setup... cell phone... computer...
Ah, okay, so you're going to use one of the alarms with a monthly fee. I was looking for something without the monthly fee.

The ideal setup would allow you to clone your SIM card from your cell phone, and then it would only power up when the alarm was set off. I'm not sure if it's possible to clone a SIM card though, or what would happen if two identical SIM cards suddenly connected to the same Cell network...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts