BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks, I've bought and sold a lot of sportbikes, but this is the first instance I've been after a dual sport. I yearn to explore backroads gravel and the odd trail... With highway in between. Problem is, I don't want to sell the sportbike, or I'd go with the KTM I was within a few hundred bucks of getting with my bid, decided against going higher.

I can live with small power, like even a 250 sherpa, as I'm not trying to impress anyone or doing anything wild (that's what the sportbike is for, for me), just puttering up and down logging roads looking for fishing and hunting spots primarily. Doesn't have to be a new model either, just reliable.

So... Anyone able to assist on a good, cheap ($2500 and under, very roughly, can go either way but that's a good figure) dual sport suggestion? I'm simply at a loss at what to look for, and found 250 super sherpas surprisingly expensive! :eek I would go used KTM for the price of a newish 'sherpa, geez...

Thanks folks for any advice!

·
Registered
8,785 Posts
Like all the other 10 calls a week for years from dream world looking for a good $2500 dualsport.

$2500 = 10 years plus in age and usually garbage that's right any XL XR Honda is unreliable unless it's been rebuilt. Minimum new valves, cam chain, piston......with the possible exploding con rod / crank bearings. These were great bikes but everything has a time limit and it's been hit with the old Honda's. We rebuild about 10 a year.

I'd buck up to the $4000 range and get something good.

·
damn broken leg!!!!!!!
1,610 Posts
Having recently (yesterday) purchased a dirtbike, I can speak from experience. You want to spend a little more money. The bikes in your price range (most anyway) are going to need repairs (tires, breaks, chain & sprockets, fork seals, not the mention the internals of the motor) often bringing you to or above the next step in bike prices. Have a look at your range and then some above it and you will see what I mean.

If you don't know what you are looking for take it to a bike shop that you have a relationship with. Most will have a quick look and point out the problems. They often do this for free because when you buy the bike they know you'll be back for stuff down the road.

·
Got Hammer?
5,552 Posts
:laughing that perfectly describes the overpricedshittybikeitis syndrome. I have several and the only cure is to get rid of them or throw in more money. What I'm having trouble finding is a good used DRZ400 SM-dirt package. Something worth buying with some extras. And in my range price wise. Dare to dream.....

gixxer_76 said:
Having recently (yesterday) purchased a dirtbike, I can speak from experience. You want to spend a little more money. The bikes in your price range (most anyway) are going to need repairs (tires, breaks, chain & sprockets, fork seals, not the mention the internals of the motor) often bringing you to or above the next step in bike prices. Have a look at your range and then some above it and you will see what I mean.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys, duly noted. I can get into a nice KLR or something for not much more, so perhaps I should just postpone the dually purchase a little longer and spring for something in that range. Cheers :)

·
Get outta the fast lane!!
1,335 Posts
You'll probably have to spend more money to get something reliable in the 250cc range that's not so old you can hardly get parts anymore.

The TTR125's that Bill from 5th gear rents seem pretty peppy but physically on the smaller side but include headlights, etc. Not sure when those first came out. Might be in the price range if they came out 4-5yrs ago.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts