BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that the bike fight's usually just gets rants from brand loyals but I'm wondering what opinions you guys have of this years bikes. My understanding is that almost all bikes are so damn close most riders wont notice a difference.

I guess a better question would be is there a dealership in Van that I could actaully test drive an r6? My last bike was a 2000 gsxr-600 and I had a great time on it, but want to get a feel for some others before making a decision. I'm 6' 3'' so hopefully I can find a bike that's comfortable (suprisingly I found the gixxer quite comfortable dispite some reviews that said the oposite, all up to the rider I guess)
thanks

my old baby

-arai-

·
moving pylon
1,428 Posts
wait till march 1st and see what yamaha is unveiling then decide?

i think you should get a kawi
who's with me?

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
I'm 6'1" and find the R6 to be fine. I probably look a little big on it, but not overly so. The R6 is a small bike, not so much in the numbers but just in overall appearance. But with small - gets you so much joy. :D

I was able to test ride one before I bought mine at Pacific Yamaha, the guy put me through the ringer a little to make sure I wasn't just going to stunt it (which I still can't do if I tried), otherwise a nice ride around town for an hour..

Carter's always been good at letting me test ride stuff too.

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
Well Manny and I hit approx. 7-8 bike shops today, with Manny trying out everything from old to new F4i, F4, GSXR600,GSXR750, R6,R1,ZX7R,ZX6R.....and he's basically come back to the 6R....you should try all of them.....they are all good bikes, but I think you can separate the 4 jap. bikes int o2 groups.

Group 1

R6/R1 and the GSXR600/GSXR750/GSXR1000

Take your pick of these wazoos, I prefer the R6/R1 in this category, I simpley believe the finish is better, the little details...

Group 2

F4i and the ZX6R

I find group 1 is more for the track, and good on the high end power, but if you aren't going to be on th track most of the time go for group 2, the F4i, has 1 more HP than the 6R, but there is little wind protection and the seat sucks.....the 6R, it'sa bigger bike, more heavier but it's engine's strong, great brakes, and basically I love it......not to mention it being cheaper than the F4i

·
Registered
725 Posts
Human said:

I find group 1 is more for the track, and good on the high end power, but if you aren't going to be on th track most of the time go for group 2, the F4i, has 1 more HP than the 6R, but there is little wind protection and the seat sucks.....the 6R, it'sa bigger bike, more heavier but it's engine's strong, great brakes, and basically I love it......not to mention it being cheaper than the F4i
The funny thing is that most people seperate track and street bikes by what magazines say and the focus of each bike (ie marketing)

but from what i have experienced the bikes you mentioned in the two group, in particular the f4s they are some of the easiest bikes to ride fast

they inspire confidence rather than being twithcy and scaring the hell out of you, i was very impressed when i road an f4i on the track and how easy it was to ride it fast compared to the other bikes i road that day (R6, 929, and 748)

at your size i actually think most sportbikes would be relatively comfortable although some will be more than others (ie ducati 748 etc are not comfortable at all)

just out of curiousity how heavy are you cause for bigger guys big ccs are nice, thats why i like bikes like that for doubling people

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
If you're 6'3", have you considered going for a 900 or a 1000. If you like riding long distances, the extra room is priceless. If you're into handling and track days though, it won't be a good idea.

·
Super Moderator
5,114 Posts
be different, get the Triumph TT600 :laughing :laughing I have yet to see one of those on the streets of vancouver....

anyhow back to the question.... to test ride a r6.... hmmm.... why not look for a private seller in the buysell and test ride his bike :) then go to the dealership and buy a brand new one it if you like it :) :laughing

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm around 180.
I'm interested in staying in the 600's, one because the insurance hike with icbc with the litre bikes (there already killing me. I just got a quote at $2000 a year and thats WITH my 43% discount. My friend just bought a new 25000 dollar car and thats what he's paying *sigh*)
I also like a quick/nimble bike and with this years crop sporting around 100 hp I think the 600's will be just fine ;)

hopefully this weekends weather will cooperate so I can get some tests in :)

-arai-

·
Just Another Enthusiast
2,051 Posts
Gees, all this talk about all around sportbikes and the 929 and 954 are not mentioned anywhere? The CBR is one of the finest all around bikes made! :)

Do not leave me hanging here, someone back me up! :)

·
Registered
465 Posts
I am 6'3" ... and I agree ... the FIREBLADE is the finest allround sportbike ever made!!! It is very refined and yet (IMO) alot sportier than a ZX9R.

The 929RR was the bike I was targeting to buy new this past Christmas. At Richmond MotorX .. brand new out the door for $13,800. That is like the price of an F4i during peak season!!!

I was going to get the Erion Edition with Black frame.

Test rode it and the bike felt so planted. I guess the tires and susp made it feel more confident in the corners than the F4i. It had all the acceleration you would need. Well for me anyways.

Gotta go to class now =) later.

vrecksler said:
Gees, all this talk about all around sportbikes and the 929 and 954 are not mentioned anywhere? The CBR is one of the finest all around bikes made! :)

·
Registered
227 Posts
Canadian_Gixxer said:
be different, get the Triumph TT600 :laughing :laughing I have yet to see one of those on the streets of vancouver....

anyhow back to the question.... to test ride a r6.... hmmm.... why not look for a private seller in the buysell and test ride his bike :) then go to the dealership and buy a brand new one it if you like it :) :laughing
i actually saw one on the streets of richmond near kwantlen campus around fall time of last year...
a silver triumph tt with "digital fuel injection" plastered on the rear right of the fairing... :D
and the dood i believe riding it was asian with a white arai helmet with green n red stripes if i am not mistaken.
anyone know him?

·
Premium Member
11,195 Posts
vrecksler said:

All righty, I like the narrow feel of the 929 and 954. They feel like a 600 in width. Narrow bikes have always felt better to me. The reach to the bars is another story though. I class the CBR's in the same boat as the Gixxers in this area. But if you find them comfy then these are lovely bikes.

The Kawi 9R still gets my vote for the best at long hauling. No other bike has the blend of ergos and protective fairing/windscreen that the 9R has.

In the 600 category the bikes are all so close it almost comes down to color. FWIW I always liked the Honda because tank design has no top ridge to foul my knee. But I've heard of some people that have interference from the forward edge of the lower leg cutaway. Guess they have long upper legs. The Gixxer feels a little fat between the knees. It used to be that the rounded tail drove me away but they changed that so now I have no sound reason to hate the Suzi.

D

·
0 Posts
vrecksler I'll back you up man, I just bought my second honda, and its a 929, best thing on 2 wheels,.. (i know i'm gonna hear about that comment):p

·
Premium Member
11,195 Posts
dknite said:
,.. (i know i'm gonna hear about that comment):p
That's what they make Nomex underwear for............ :D :flip

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
arai said:
I'm around 180.

I also like a quick/nimble bike and with this years crop sporting around 100 hp I think the 600's will be just fine ;)

-arai-
Perfect weight, and as long as your under 6'2" the R6 will fit you fine.

When you say quick/nimble, there is no bike like the R6. All other bikes after you ride it will feel like crap. Trust me. Look what I own. :D

·
resident monkey boy
806 Posts
absolutdm said:

Perfect weight, and as long as your under 6'2" the R6 will fit you fine.

When you say quick/nimble, there is no bike like the R6. All other bikes after you ride it will feel like crap. Trust me. Look what I own. :D
so true

1 - 17 of 17 Posts