BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, ive searched this forum and read almost everything on getting a custom paint job, but everytime someone asks how much the paint job costed they never get a reply. I have no clue how much it costs, and the whole quality to price payoff.

If possible can people post a pic of the bike they got painted and how much it costs, or if you got a deal and dont want to tell people about it, say how much it would cost for jo blo like me to come in and get the same paint job done.

Thanks guys
:court

·
Registered
82 Posts
If you're looking for a price, why don't you just go get an estimate? It doesn't really matter what one person pays, because it will certainly differ every time. Good luck

·
:) you'll live longer
1,112 Posts
from $500 to the sky... i think it varies on how much prep/ repairs needs to be done as well. Try phoning borderline, or swinging by so he can give you a better idea

·
Formerly kanelupis
5,252 Posts
Profesional paint is expensive....

That's why I'm gettin my own spray gun and paint and doing it myself.

If I'm successful on my bike, I'll need volunteers to test my technique! whada ya say?

·
Registered
622 Posts
Macco will do a bike for $350ish last time I checked. Keep in mind, you get what you pay for.

R

·
0 Posts
looking for PAAAAAIIIIINNNNTTT??

haha sorry, made me think of russell peters >_>

·
contradiction incarnate
2,748 Posts
Remy said:
yah same goes for me, i want to get my bike paiting as well.. the whole bike
what? the whole bike? you know the cool people only paint the front right?

:laughing

·
Sex Appeal
1,560 Posts
-_-"

REALLY!!!! WELL I WANT TO BE COOL1!!!!!

lol some people only get parts of there bike painted, i was just stating i want ever thing painted on it, well all the plastics at least and the tank

·
contradiction incarnate
2,748 Posts
hehe... no worries.

I just found it amusing how you put it. :thumbup

·
Sex Appeal
1,560 Posts
hahaha yah

now that i read my post i can see where you were coming from, is that suprising? my post are usually horrible lol.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
hahaha i guess even when someone comes out an asks the question directly, "How much did you pay for your paint job" he wont get an answer. Yes i know borderline does good paint jobs, yes i know there is a guy burnaby kawasaki sends people too and does good work, yes i know some guy has a little shop beside his house which someone said he saw nice stuff comming out of. Like I said, I searched and read eveything,

I was just wondering how much people paid, if i wanted quotes on how much it would be to paint "my" bike i could call every place in the phone book and get quotes of different types of work, but i still wouldnt know how much you guys paid, how well your paint jobs were done and who does the best work for the dollar. I think its a pretty beneficial questions to everyone on here who has ever just had the idea run through their minds of getting a custom paint job.

Thanks guys

·
Registered
276 Posts
PM them....

giving an estimate without seeing the bike... knowing the year model and what you want done pigeon holes them and could result in a flame war... price war... its just not good business.... that came out wrong but you need to PM them at the minimum not start a public thread

·
Woof?
1,011 Posts
Driftland said:
hahaha i guess even when someone comes out an asks the question directly, "How much did you pay for your paint job" he wont get an answer. Yes i know borderline does good paint jobs, yes i know there is a guy burnaby kawasaki sends people too and does good work, yes i know some guy has a little shop beside his house which someone said he saw nice stuff comming out of. Like I said, I searched and read eveything,

I was just wondering how much people paid, if i wanted quotes on how much it would be to paint "my" bike i could call every place in the phone book and get quotes of different types of work, but i still wouldnt know how much you guys paid, how well your paint jobs were done and who does the best work for the dollar. I think its a pretty beneficial questions to everyone on here who has ever just had the idea run through their minds of getting a custom paint job.

Thanks guys

how about ya stop being a cheap ass. Go out to the shops let the dude see ur bike.. take a look at what they have on the go or whos bike they've done... and move on from there... ya cant go wrong with someone who has repeat clients. esp since most of em are on bcsb... any negative feed back, you'll hear about.
"I was just wondering how much people paid" how is that going to matter? dude with busa, wants some really complicated candy paint vs guy with a naked bike only wants a single simple colour..... one was $$$ the other one not so much $$$.

·
Registered
2,887 Posts
I do a little painting on the side...i charge like about 150 to do a bike, (plus paint) so either you buy the Canadian Tire spray cans of the color of your choice, or I buy 'em and charge you for 'em. Also, I "bake it" on (using a hair dryer set on "high")

It'll look facken SWEEt! LOL

F

·
0 Posts
best part is nowadays there are so many choices for paint shops willing to do bikes .BRADA,D&B custom,leedam ,ask the motorcycle delaers who they get to do thier paints there is a few on the board that dont advertise but from what ive seen and heard to great work ,check any other paint posts and pm or visit as many as you can .

expect to pay prob 600-900 and for show stuff it can go through the roof .
some dont let you leave the bikes in shop or take them apart or put em back together etc ,but lots of people to choose from

·
Registered
517 Posts
Custom paint varies in price due to several reasons.
1.How many pieces
2.Is there damage (not just cracks and holes, but surface scratches)
3.Prep work
4.Type of paint and cost
5.Finishing work.
Everyone wants "a good deal". so they go to collision repair shops and get thier budies to splash n' dash thier parts for them for 300 to 500 bucks on the side. Any custom shop (paint or otherwise) worth thier salt, will strip parts down as far as possible and work from there. This is to ensure that the "art" they are putting on is on a good "canvas".
Consider this....
To strip a mint ZX10 it takes 6 hrs to strip to plastic and shoot epoxy/sealer.
2 hrs to scuff and shoot high build surfacer.
3 hrs to block wetsand (to 600) surface and wash/wipe for paint.
1.5 hrs to shoot black base( 4 coats)
1.5 hrs to shoot clear (4 coats)
4-6 hours to block wetsand and polish surface to a mirror finish.
So far you're at 18 hours...+ materials cost. This is a job that will stay mint for 20 years, a well preped/layed/finished job.

F

·
0 Posts
agreed ,,and BRADA is only talking one color 18 hrs X $min 50 per hr =$900 and thats before the shop pays for materials

and if your using quality products like PPG or heaven forbid something like House of Kolor or 3 stage candy's or pearls big $$$ and if you want more than one color ,or custom masking ,airbrush ,if you want the main body or the entire bike incl all filer panels ,inserts etc it varies big time .

take what BRADA described (trust me he knows ,hes been painting a LONG time ) and thats $400-450 in supplies no matter what with minor damage
example -
wax/grease remover
80/180 /220 /320/400/600/1000/2000 sandpaper,
tape in variious sizes
filler /filler catalyst
primer /primer catalyst /thinner (possibly twice )
base /thinner
tack rag
clear /clear hardner/thinner
heavy cut polish /swirl remove /finish polish

then add gunwash 3 or 4 times,the cost of overhead of a shop ,the cost of guns,suplies ,heat .power blah blahdy blah

then its about $400 in suplies that is not recoverable ,,and thats if everything goes well and nothing goes wrong ,cuz customers dont pay for our mistakes .we do .If it has to be redone or fixed etc ,its out of our pocket so not a big margin for fuk ups.

so consider that most shops are not around to get stinking rich of painting bikes ,the market has decided on what people are wiling to pay an if you tell them 1200 or 1500 for a candy pearl yippee doo da sanded and polished paint ,it seems like a lot ,BUt if you need to see ask the shop to see his bills corresponding to your job and youll see if that shop had more than one guy on your job ,thay aint driving hummers and taking fishing trips to mexico .

Dont get me wrong ,shops do MAKE money and they arent a charity,and if you can do 3 or 4 of those a week ,your gona make a really good living so dont take what ive said as a complaint ,thatsprob all id be willing to pay as well for a decent job .So if the shop is quick and good ,the money is there for them ,its just not as easy to do that job as throwing some cheap paint on it and sending it on its way .Personally i would like to see the general paint prices higher and accepted as that .but the market dictates and its YOUR money so your free to pay whatever you want and lots of guys are willing to paint stuff for the cost of suplies or a case of beer etc ,and they may be awsome jobs and the money shops may suck .

just trying to give a bit of insight ,i wish more paint folks would get on this board and open thier books so people can make informed decisions ,

as BF what he payed for that CRAZY CORONA bike done by his painter,airbrush ed,several colors and from what i heard dead mint ,,i think as a favour it was 2g's ,,and thats a friend favour ! imagine if it was some nobody ,,but after it all if the guy said 4gs ,,id agree and pay it .

1 - 20 of 28 Posts