BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, another new rider new bike question.

I'm going to get L license next week (finally ICBC opened those kiosk to more general public) and will likely attend one of the motorcycle class in Vancouver (likely ProRide) and now I'm looking for new bike that I could use for while.

Looked into lots of YouTube reviews, local bike shop websites and narrowed it down to following bikes:
  • Z400
  • MT-03
  • SV650X
  • CB300R
They are all in similar price range (around $3-400 difference, SV650x is on sale), and available in local bike shop.

Few things about me:
  • This will be my very first motorcyle and no motorcycle experience
  • Lots of biking though, from Road Cycling, MTB, to BMX
  • I live in apartment in DT Vancouver, so space is limited to 1 bike
  • I want to just ride around city, highway, and maybe do day trip to Whistler, Pemberton, Kelowna or States, but not really long touring (not sure, I might change my mind if I get hooked to riding :) )
What do you guys suggest?

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
SV all day long. A much loved Suzuki model that has been around forever. Not crazy power but enough to keep you interested for some time.

Z400 if insurance cost is an issue. Will be a LOT cheaper.

The honda would be last on my list for one good reason ....gutless.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
@oldgixxer thanks for quick replay!

When you say insurance is a LOT cheaper, how much difference is there? I'm ok with insurance cost as long as it's below my car ($175/mo).

I can afford higher insurance cost, but just can't justify paying more than car haha (I got 2015 mazda5, which should worth more than bikes mentioned above). But whatever ICBC do doesn't make sense...

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Basic insurance doubles between a 400 cc bike and a 650. Best ask your friendly neighborhood insurance person for the numbers.

Both bikes are swell rides. Have you sat on them? Which one feels/fits the best?

Good luck!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
@Young Lion hmm, now i'm starting to lean more towards z400
@oldgixxer damn that's quite a hike for mere 250cc diff... Haven't sat on them yet, I was waiting for ICBC to open tests, but I might go and sit on both of them over the weekend.

Thanks guys!

·
Super Moderator
5,481 Posts
Sit on the bike and see which feels better, is more comfortable when it comes to seating position, how to reach the controls etc. You didn't mention how tall you are / inseam high. Not sure if fit is an issue. I think the bikes you listed all have pretty low seat height, great if you're under 6' but if you're 6'6" for instance, that could be a consideration.

And then see which simply appeals to you most. Most important thing after getting good training is to get seat time, and to keep learning and honing your skills. Having a bike that really appeals to you helps you get out (in case you need help ;) )

Good luck!

·
Registered
581 Posts
My wife has a ninja400 which is basically a fairinged z400. Impressive bike, fantastic performance for its size. I think the Kawasaki is the clear winner out of the small displacement bikes.

·
Been there, Wrecked that!
2,208 Posts
+1 for the SV!!

I bought the 1st '99 in this area 21yrs ago (21yrs? :-O) and rode the wheels off it riding all over BC & Alberta and had so much fun doing it!

·
Registered
7 Posts
How is the hunt going? Long time rider just coming back after 20 plus years off and wanted something fun, reliable and quick for its size (310 CC) and the Yamaha R3 had the complete “Package” after doing all of my research and watching 1000 YouTube videos I decided to go with the 2018 Yamaha R3. They have them on sale at Daytona Motorsports in Vancouver for $3,999 brand new... smoking deal and a great bike. They were great to deal with, tell Patrick that Graham sent you (I just picked her up last week and loving riding her ;)
I also live downtown in the west end.

Let us know how your riding progress and bike selection is coming along.
Ride Safe! Cheers ~ Graham

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
How is the hunt going? Long time rider just coming back after 20 plus years off and wanted something fun, reliable and quick for its size (310 CC) and the Yamaha R3 had the complete “Package” after doing all of my research and watching 1000 YouTube videos I decided to go with the 2018 Yamaha R3. They have them on sale at Daytona Motorsports in Vancouver for $3,999 brand new... smoking deal and a great bike. They were great to deal with, tell Patrick that Graham sent you (I just picked her up last week and loving riding her ;)
I also live downtown in the west end.

Let us know how your riding progress and bike selection is coming along.
Ride Safe! Cheers ~ Graham
That is a smoken deal. Was that including freight, pdi, and documents?

·
Registered
7 Posts
That is a smoken deal. Was that including freight, pdi, and documents?
$4,821 inc freight, PDI & Doc fees.
$5,400 Inc all taxes.
Still a great price for a new R3 out there door with full warranty.

Daytona Motorsports even has the Suzuki GSX 250 with ABS on at $2,999 but I have heard they may be lacking in power but probably a great city ride too ;)
Check then out at New Instock Motorcycle Inventory | Daytona Motorsports

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hey all, OP here!

I ended up Z400 here, mostly since it's my first bike and don't think i could use all that 70+ HP and I think Z400 have enough power at 48HP (claimed...) and also keeping insurance cost low (FYI $50/mo from ICBC for minimum and $250/yr with Beacon for everything else).

Also I had most pleasant experience at Burnaby Kawasaki (although Daytona was good service as well, others... were ok, but not even close to those 2), which also pushed to me towards Z400.

Thanks all and happy riding!!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Nice man! She looks sweet! Nice colour and lines. I just finished a nice ride around Vancouver, Spanish Banks and UBC. Some nice turns but man even on our smaller bikes you can get in trouble quick (one tight turn came up quick on me.... gotta be careful). I can’t imagine getting out of second/third gear around here on a 600/1000 lol.

Ride Safe Brother!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts