BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
11,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
... and I'm wondering how much to spend.
Bear in mind that I do not need the latest and greatest, nor something that is able to jump tall buildings in a single bound.
I just want something I can ride on the street, on some easy trails and just cruise around on.
I don't want to spend a lot, but I also don't want a piece of crap that's going to break every second time out.
Any brand suggestions? And what price should I be aiming for?
Cheers!

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
SpideRider said:
... and I'm wondering how much to spend.
Bear in mind that I do not need the latest and greatest, nor something that is able to jump tall buildings in a single bound.
I just want something I can ride on the street, on some easy trails and just cruise around on.
I don't want to spend a lot, but I also don't want a piece of crap that's going to break every second time out.
Any brand suggestions? And what price should I be aiming for?
Cheers!

a few years back I picked up a simple mountain bike from Costco for $200 or something like that, used it for 2 years to get me to work and back untill some SOB stole it.

I put about 10km/day 5 days a week on it, so about 2500kms/year or so. It never skipped a beat.

As long as you maintain the bike well, it'll last a long time. For just light casual use, that would be my max budget.

·
Formerly kanelupis
5,252 Posts
I spent $300 on mine.

If you're doing a lot of trail stuff, I think you should go with just front shocks. Dual shock bikes look cool and all, but they're reallly reallllly heavy ($300 price range). Of course, if you decide to do some downhill racing, then dual shocks is nessesary.

R

·
0 Posts
Stolen bicycle auction at Able Auction is comming up in a month or so.

R

·
0 Posts
try police auctions if you want something thats good and cheap. My friend got a bike for around 200 thats worth over 600 retail.

Also, try ti figure out its primary use. If you're going to do a lot of distance travelling on it, get an actual street bike. Don't get a mountain bike to do long distances. If you've seen a street bike and a mountain bike go at it, there's no way a mountain bike even comes close in terms of speed on a level plane.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Jester666 said:
a few years back I picked up a simple mountain bike from Costco for $200 or something like that, used it for 2 years to get me to work and back untill some SOB stole it.

I put about 10km/day 5 days a week on it, so about 2500kms/year or so. It never skipped a beat.

As long as you maintain the bike well, it'll last a long time. For just light casual use, that would be my max budget.

Well, normally i would never endorse a costco bike or any bike from walcrap crappy-tire or Searscrap. This is coming from some experience working at Caps. We would service these bikes, and they all have the cheapest components possible but make them attractive to the average buyer by throwing on features...ie.shocks that suck more monkey balls than my phillipino brother in-law(they eat all sorts of weird stuff). But...if Jester says he had a reasonable bike with some regular maintenance, i dont see why he would lie.

On that note, if anyone does a quick bike maintenance tutorial in the city, it would be worth your time to learn how to set-up a derailleur. Maybe you already know.

With that said i would suggest targeting yourself for a $400 bike with some front suspension although maybe not even necessary. That price seemed to be a sort of line, where it seperates the crap from the start of decent bikes. And although Kanelupis is correct that bikes with dual suspension are heavier, its really not going to be that significant of a difference unless you bought yourself a very expensive DH bike. it will jack the price up unnecessarily though.

get something aluminum, with mid range components(deore, aliveo) as cheap derailleurs suck. I'd suggest to check out the trek 4500, which im sure you could get for $400.

As for brand, I think you'll find good and bad in every group, and that will mostly be determined by price.

·
Gear whore
2,922 Posts
Trek 4500 would probably cost close to $500 and more after taxes etc.

I got my girlfriend a Trek 3700 last year and it came up to a bit under $400 after taxes after a bit of a discount. Bought it at Caps in New West.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
hm. you should be able to get a discount off of the retail price... Id think at least 10% anyway. But that still makes you right...around 500. I think caps often has these "pay no tax" days. see if you can get that deal(equals about 12.3% or something).

·
Fastronaut
6,508 Posts
Narrow down where you live/work/hang out and I might be able to name a couple places.

Your best bet is normally used, but that can be a bit dicier out here where bikes get hammered in a very short time.

·
Gear whore
2,922 Posts
savagebovine said:
hm. you should be able to get a discount off of the retail price... Id think at least 10% anyway. But that still makes you right...around 500. I think caps often has these "pay no tax" days. see if you can get that deal(equals about 12.3% or something).
yeah, sticker price on the 3700 was $400, so i saved on the tax after just asking for a bit of a discount :)

·
Happy Camper
2,698 Posts
Go to London Drugs. For some reason, they carry cheap, basic bikes.
As long as the bike has been assembled correctly by the bike dude at the store, it will serve just fine as a basic mode of transport.
Don't expect it to take huge abuse.

$130 for a basic mountain bike with cheap front suspension.

If you want something better on a budget, get a used bike from the Buy and Sell or a local Pawn Shop. Pawn Shops are always full of bikes. Just make sure you check the serial number with the cops.

·
Fuelled by rice
4,463 Posts
talk to a bike shop first to see what they recommend, then shop around. Front shocks are good and disc brakes make a huge difference in the rain. Check out Simon's bike shop on Robson. Rocky mountain is nice if you want to stay Canadian

·
builder of bikes
4,802 Posts
racerboy88 said:
Check out Simon's bike shop on Robson
I think a bike shop in Kelowna is closer for him. No one in the Fraser Valley should be travelling to Simon's which is overpriced anyhow.

·
rain? whats that!
5,834 Posts
I bought a 50 dollar pawn shop special.

Its special because:

- in the rain, all the u-brakes do on the steel rims is induce vibration and noise
- it weighs close to 50 lbs, you get your workout in the city!
- the titanium splash guards I made for it (while working at the airport) are worth more than the bike
- the bike is painted a nice, spray bomb green
- other than regular maintenance, the bike has never had any problems
- tough-as-nails commuter bike
- wont cry if it gets stolen

·
Ridin hard n dirty
4,080 Posts
Go See Johnny at tail wind next to 5th gear...good guy rides motorcycles

D

·
0 Posts
sports junkies, if you have one nearby. consignment goods always come down in price as they sit on the floor. it's a matter of timing. i've seen some pretty nice bikes going dirt cheap.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts