BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

Looking to import Used bike from USA (WA, OR) - Where to do my shopping online?

1K views 22 replies 12 participants last post by  03terminator 
#1 ·
Hey guys...
I'm considering bringing a bike over from the states...Ive gone over the process pretty thoroughly(sp) and it doesnt seem that hard...

now the problem is I dont know where to do my used bike shopping...I would prefer to do find one in washington state or oregon..that way i can drive down and haul it back up and save some money on shipping (and make a weekend trip out of it if its in OR)

Does anyone know of any online sites like this BCSB club.forum thats in WA or OR? or does anyone have any ideas of other places to shop for one??

Please help me out..
Thanks
Nick

#2 ·
A great place to start is craigslist; they have motorcycle classifieds for Seattle and Portland which should be a big help. Ebay is another alternative as you can drive down to view it or pick it up.....motorcycle trader can be helpful as well but not many listings are from the Pacific Northwest.

While the process does not seem difficult (and it is not) I just want to mention a couple things so you do not get stuck:

* Check the Admissible Vehicles List, the bike MUST be on it or you will have to go through a massive process to get it insured.
* The bike has to stay in the US for 3 days after applying to export it (paperwork must clear) so you need to store it somewhere.

You may already know the above in which case just ignore it. :)

#4 ·
vrecksler said:
A great place to start is craigslist; they have motorcycle classifieds for Seattle and Portland which should be a big help. Ebay is another alternative as you can drive down to view it or pick it up.....motorcycle trader can be helpful as well but not many listings are from the Pacific Northwest.

While the process does not seem difficult (and it is not) I just want to mention a couple things so you do not get stuck:

* Check the Admissible Vehicles List, the bike MUST be on it or you will have to go through a massive process to get it insured.
* The bike has to stay in the US for 3 days after applying to export it (paperwork must clear) so you need to store it somewhere.

You may already know the above in which case just ignore it. :)

I've looked at the inadmissable bikes list...surpsingly almost any new bike built in the USA is admissable...for example...I looked under yamaha...and they did not have a single bike that was inadmisable...which was a good sign

as far as exporting from the states...from what I understood, you have to send in your papers and stuff 72 hours ahead of time...that way when you do arrive at the border 72 hours or more later..the paperwork is complete and i can just bring it across...that was my understanding...
are you sure about how you translated it?

Thanks for the quick tips...checked out craigslist already...I will check out cyclertrader now...

Thanks

Nick

#5 ·
yes you can fax your bill of sale and title to us customs,then after 72 hours go there (between 9-3 mon-fri)to let them view (bike)so you can get the release stamp that you need for canada customs.its all just to be sure it's not stolen.btw don't forget the recall clearance letter (from the company bikes from)

#7 ·
BabyPimpin said:
I've looked at the inadmissable bikes list...surpsingly almost any new bike built in the USA is admissable...for example...I looked under yamaha...and they did not have a single bike that was inadmisable...which was a good sign

as far as exporting from the states...from what I understood, you have to send in your papers and stuff 72 hours ahead of time...that way when you do arrive at the border 72 hours or more later..the paperwork is complete and i can just bring it across...that was my understanding...
are you sure about how you translated it?

Thanks for the quick tips...checked out craigslist already...I will check out cyclertrader now...

Thanks

Nick
The list is fairly complete, but surprisingly bikes like KTM (which are street legal and sold in Canada) are not on the list but if you are looking for a Japanese bike you will be OK for sure.

You are correct in the export procedure, I just mentioned it because a few people I know were unaware that they had to export the bike from the US. :)

#9 ·
Cycletrader didnt have much..

Craigslist has been the best so far..

I was hoping to find a BCSB like forum for the greater north west...but i guess there isnt one...

If anyone knows of one..let me know!!

Nightstalker- Nice Lid!! i love mine...I think i was probably one of the first in Vancouver to get it 2 years ago heheh....straight from Japan =0) Its sad that they now sell it in the states..it will no longer be unique...

#11 ·
BabyPimpin said:
Cycletrader didnt have much..

Craigslist has been the best so far..

I was hoping to find a BCSB like forum for the greater north west...but i guess there isnt one...

If anyone knows of one..let me know!!

Nightstalker- Nice Lid!! i love mine...I think i was probably one of the first in Vancouver to get it 2 years ago heheh....straight from Japan =0) Its sad that they now sell it in the states..it will no longer be unique...
Craigslist is going to be your best option, followed by ebay. There is a forum of sportbikers for the northwest...www.pnwriders.com check us out sometime.

#12 ·
To those guys that have bought bikes from the south...

THe digital speedometers on the bikes im interested in are all in MPH...do I have to swap out the whole set of guages to a Canadian one wiht KM/H? or do the american ones have a switch to set it to km/h??

#13 ·
BabyPimpin said:
To those guys that have bought bikes from the south...

THe digital speedometers on the bikes im interested in are all in MPH...do I have to swap out the whole set of guages to a Canadian one wiht KM/H? or do the american ones have a switch to set it to km/h??
I would check. CBR's newer than 2000 you can switch between imperial and metric, so do Suzuki's and probably other newer bikes. But to be sure just check (either by posting or phoning a local shop that deals in the brand), if not you will have to swap out to a metric cluster for your inspection.

#14 ·
The bike at the top of my list is an 02+ R6...does anyone know if the guage cluster can switch b/w imperial and metric??

any info would be great!!

OH YEAH!!

Has anyone brought an R6 over from the states?? If so...was there anything major that they needed to change for the inspection?? as far as i can tell...from common sense....I cant see anything other than a speedometer reading MPH as a problem....everything else on the bike should be totally fine to bring across without changing right??

any tips on the R6 specificaly would be great!

Thanks

G
#17 ·
BabyPimpin said:
The bike at the top of my list is an 02+ R6...does anyone know if the guage cluster can switch b/w imperial and metric?
I don't want to seem confrontational but, the R6 is common as dirt in Canada, Vancouver even.

Why the need to buy one south of the border?

Just curious.

#19 ·
SportBike West said:
I don't want to seem confrontational but, the R6 is common as dirt in Canada, Vancouver even.

Why the need to buy one south of the border?

Just curious.

Cuz I found a wicked deal on an 03 black w/ red flame R6 mint mint condition, full hindle exhaust system, power comander, undertail kit, and a bunch of other little mods and such...just under 8000 miles...mint mint condition..not a scratch...

working on the price...its already really good...probably about 1500 bux less than it would be buying it local..and thats after paying for the import fees, exchange rate conversion AND 14% tax... Plus Im planning on sellin it at the end of the season...which allows me to at least get back what I paid =0)

Yes its common as dirt...Black w/ red flames NOT as common...and hell..u gotta admit..its a nice looking bike =0)

Spike: I think that if the speedo can convert to imperial...im sure the odo also swaps to imperial...that would make sense...

And yeah..i just read the link 03 terminator posted...and you can change it which is awesome!!

Thanks guys..I love this board...
answers come quick!!

see you all out there soon!! Hopefully!!

G
#20 ·
sounds like a great deal. Just be carefull.

Remember "if its too good to be true."

I hope you see the bike and check it [vin #'s etc etc] out before parting with your dough. I'm not suggesting you're incompetent, just passing along a warning.
G'luck and maybe see you on the road.

#21 ·
BabyPimpin said:
Cuz I found a wicked deal on an 03 black w/ red flame R6 mint mint condition, full hindle exhaust system, power comander, undertail kit, and a bunch of other little mods and such...just under 8000 miles...mint mint condition..not a scratch...

working on the price...its already really good...probably about 1500 bux less than it would be buying it local..and thats after paying for the import fees, exchange rate conversion AND 14% tax... Plus Im planning on sellin it at the end of the season...which allows me to at least get back what I paid =0)

Yes its common as dirt...Black w/ red flames NOT as common...and hell..u gotta admit..its a nice looking bike =0)

Spike: I think that if the speedo can convert to imperial...im sure the odo also swaps to imperial...that would make sense...

And yeah..i just read the link 03 terminator posted...and you can change it which is awesome!!

Thanks guys..I love this board...
answers come quick!!

see you all out there soon!! Hopefully!!

Was it on ebay for $3500 because you can get the same thing right here in the Buy&Sell

#22 ·
lol..nono...this is a private sale from someone who was a longtime member on another board...Im definately going down to check it out if a price is agreed upon...defiantely run teh vin before I head down too...

I'm actually glad you brought it up SPortbike West....i guess aside from the import procedures necessary to bring this up...theres the safety procedures on my part that I should definately go through...one of which is getting the vin checked out...

Where would i get the vin of a US bike checked out??
And im still waiting for his reply...but considering the fact that im driving 3 hours to see the bike...im not some kid looking for a joyride...so Im sure he will definately let me take the bike for a test ride...

What are some things I can do that can make sure everything is good? I mean..of course the best thing to do is get it chekced out by a shop down there etc...but that takes tons of time etc....do people usually do that when buying a biek down south??

Anyways...any tips on things I can do to protect myself from getting a lemon would be great.

Thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.