BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
I am going to be doing some minor servicing to my bike this weekend and i had a few questions about some things i want to work on.

Here's what i want to do:
Change oil (filter + oil)
Clean Air filter
lube chain
tighten clutch cable (The clutch level is a bit loose due to a loose cable)

With these things in mind, do i absolutely need a bike stand to do all of these? can any be done without?

Is the stock Air filter on an 09 ninja cleanable? or do i have to just replace it? if so where is the best place to go for a new one?

Where should i get a new oil filter and oil from, and what oil filter and oil should i get?

What kind of lube do i use for the chain and where is the best place to get it?

And finally how do i go about tightening the clutch cable? my clutch level is pretty loose..

Oh and where should i go for a bike stand as i eventually want to get one, and how much are they? :S

Even if you can only answer one or two of these questions it is greatly appreciated =D

Thanks in advance.

·
farmer
1,432 Posts
bike stand? No i do all and more without one
aircleaner just throw it away unless its a k&n filter
kawasaki dealer for your oil and filter ask the countersales at the back.
chainwax is a good one should do it after a ride and let it sit.
I use wd40 to clean the chain first

Get a manual for your bike...........

·
Registered
8,725 Posts
You have so many questions about basic maintenance.
I would suggest you take your bike to somewhere like EMS for a service and while you're there, have them explain how things are done and you'll be fine for the next one.

But here's a few answers:
Rear stand not needed but makes it so much easier.
Filter not washable, buy a new one at the dealer.
Oil, make sure it is "Motorcycle oil" as car oil is different.
Chain Lube, I use Amsoil, but everybody has their preference, just make sure it is lubed, that's the important thing.

·
Eyes set on the rubbarb
1,990 Posts
Learn from those who have made previous mistakes.

Don't run the bike to clean the chain. It ends badly.

Bike stand makes cleaning the chain really freakin easy. If you plan on doing your own maintenance in the future I suggest you buy one.

None of what your asking to do is difficult, but unless you have prior mechanical experience I'd say take the bike to EMS. And read over the service manual to gain proper procedures for doing it next time =]

·
farmer
1,432 Posts
You can pick it up on the exhaust side hanger and lift it off the kickstand if the bikes in neutral and spin the tire with your free hand while spraying it takes a few spins but i do it all the time...

Yea don't run the bike you will be missing your hand if you do...

·
Zulu
231 Posts
After having taught myself the art of motorcycle maintenance i have a couple of suggestions.

Your not in the pits so take your time doing stuff.

Get the proper tools. (Lordco/Imperial etc)

Get bike stand (150.00 for a pair at Imperial good deal and also think of the stuff you can do on the bike later when you are more comfortable doing stuff.

when you change oil you will need a new washer make sure you have everything before you start. Canadian Tire has Amsoil on sale the synthetic at 13.99 a lit.

Do not force any thing and when you are putting stuff back make sure you tighten enough lots of aluminum parts strip easy check the torque specs search forum and gather data before you start drop me pm if you require help and are stuck.....

·
Registered
258 Posts
My 2 cents...

1) bike stand? - not absolutely needed, but makes it incredibly easy. I got mine off craiglist for $60. If you plan to riding for awhile, a bike stand saves you lots of frustrationj. You;ll need spools as well (~$30)

2) oil and oil filter? Go to Burnaby Kawi or EMS. Some people swear by different brands, but the fact that you are changing it is probably the big bang for your buck.
If you have a Ninja 250 - the oil and filter will run you just over $30 at EMS

3) chain lube - again, many differing opinions. I use the PJ blue label chain lube (as recommended by Burnaby Kawi).I am sure others would work fine too.

4) clutch cable too loose - try adjusting it at the adjuster at the clutch lever, but also at the end of the clutch cable (sits ontop of where you pour in the oil). There should be a nut you can adjust down there as well.

5) +1 on getting the manual and doing the PRS course. Or you can find a friend that has done this before and buy him a beer. I'd offer (as I have all the equipment) but I am out of town this weekend).

Good luck!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the suggestions guys.
I am not worried about my ability to do these tasks as i am pretty decent with car maintenance already so this should be not problem. I just wanted to to be sure of everything and gather opinions and data from all available resources first to be sure, as this is my first time doing any sort of 'bike' maintenance.
As for the manual I managed to download one online :p
Looks like I'll be hitting up EMS, and Canadian tire =D
Thanks for the large amount of input all! Looks like its gonna be a fun Saturday taking care of my baby!!

·
Registered
238 Posts
Hey guys,
I am going to be doing some minor servicing to my bike this weekend and i had a few questions about some things i want to work on.

Here's what i want to do:
Change oil (filter + oil)
Clean Air filter
lube chain
tighten clutch cable (The clutch level is a bit loose due to a loose cable)

With these things in mind, do i absolutely need a bike stand to do all of these? can any be done without?

Is the stock Air filter on an 09 ninja cleanable? or do i have to just replace it? if so where is the best place to go for a new one?

Where should i get a new oil filter and oil from, and what oil filter and oil should i get?

What kind of lube do i use for the chain and where is the best place to get it?

And finally how do i go about tightening the clutch cable? my clutch level is pretty loose..

Oh and where should i go for a bike stand as i eventually want to get one, and how much are they? :S

Even if you can only answer one or two of these questions it is greatly appreciated =D

Thanks in advance.
my two cents... and this is my first season as a rider.

* A bike stand helps for chain lube and cleaning, but not necessary. it does make it sooo much easier when you can just spin your rear tire, might as well get one.. and save the money doing all the work yourself if you can. Youtube has everything you need and just ask for help. If you get a stand remember to buy some spools, they are cheap should be able to get some for like $30, a stand should cost no more than $100. I got mine at Modern and you really only need 1 rear stand.

*air filter - buy new and replace. straight forward. use a manual to see how to gain access to it.

*oil and oil filter. i use motul 5100. buy enough for oil change and filter replacement. see manual on how much you need. oil filter, buy new. you may need to get a tool to remove the filter, can get it at any bike shop (i.e. Modern). Remember to buy a crush washer.

*buy lube clean or wd40 or kerosene, buy a 3 sided grunge brush if you can, makes cleaning chain really easy. then lube it , again many examples on youtube

*haven't had to adjust my clutch cable, but you should be able to do that at the clutch end or open the clutch box and tighten it in there. while your in there might as well apply some cable lube

good lucks.

·
+1
2,281 Posts
highly suggest a service manual even for basic stuff. Considering the popularity of the 250 is there an aftermarket service manual?

Canadian Tire seems to carry most lubes, oils and such but a bike shop is probably easier.

·
Registered
258 Posts
If it is a 2008+ ninja 250, you don't need a special tool to remove the oil filter. Just a standard socket wrench. Use socket wrench to remove the oil filter cover- the oil, filter and bolt will come out. Should be clearly illustrated in the manual. Once you do it once, it is much easier and enjoyable the next time.

·
Registered
754 Posts
A simple suggestion

I usually use a bike stand for chain maintenance.

However, for the CBR125R, I didn't have a stand for it. And I remember other members talking about the use of a stick to prop up the rear swing arm. So I picked up the first 2x4 laying around and placed it underneath the axle bolt head on the side opposite of the side stand. Before I did that, I had the front brake taped to the handle bar to applied the front brakes to prevent the bike from moving. It literally took a few pounds to lift up the rear wheel and put in the 2x4. Something very easy and convenient to do. And it was sturdy. Thanks guys for the idea.

I got to say I was lucky in that the very first 2x4 I picked up was the right length. The 2x4 only has to be just a little longer than distance between the underside of the rear axle bolt head (or nut) and the ground.

I find this jacking method to be so handy since I can just leave the 2x4 around and no one would give it a second look, and thus making it very accessible and convenient to use.

YMMV.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Wow! i am definitely going to msg that guy about the cheap bike stand =D
Went to Canadian tire this afternoon and found a bottle of WD40 and a bottle of PJ blue label chain lube as well as a pack of steel (or whatever)bristle brushes.
Then about 20 min ago i went at er' in my buildings parking garage. (just a word of wisdom for others who haven't done this before, I suggest doing it in a 'well' ventilated area as that PJ lube stinks!) It was no problem to do the entire chain with no stand and only took about 15+ min to do ^__^ tomorrow its onto tightening up the clutch cable (took a look in the manual and it looks like this wont be too big of a problem to accomplish)
Thanks all for the awesome help and input!

·
Registered
7,695 Posts
After having taught myself the art of motorcycle maintenance .....

when you change oil you will need a new washer...
LOL....Obviously self taught. Don't say that...this kid will grab one out of grandma's junk drawer and put a WASHER on the bike FFS :laughing

What you meant to say was a "crush gasket", buy it from the dealership when you pick up an OEM filter as well.

I'll bet thousands of people don't change that gasket.:surrender

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ok so I currently just have one more item to ask about.
I get this lovely sqeaking noise from my front tire all the time!
I don't think its the breaks cause breaking and not breaking don't affect it, however sometimes the noise will go away and sometimes it comes back for no reason, also it doesn't happen at very slow speeds but becomes more noticeable at higher speeds. I heard that it might be the odometer cable? (the one on the left side of the tire, and that i should grease that, any one know a grease that Canadian tire has that i should get for this? If greasing this piece doesn't make the squeak go away where should i look next?

·
Registered
7,695 Posts
Ok so I currently just have one more item to ask about.
I get this lovely sqeaking noise from my front tire all the time!
I don't think its the breaks cause breaking and not breaking don't affect it, however sometimes the noise will go away and sometimes it comes back for no reason, also it doesn't happen at very slow speeds but becomes more noticeable at higher speeds. I heard that it might be the odometer cable? (the one on the left side of the tire, and that i should grease that, any one know a grease that Canadian tire has that i should get for this? If greasing this piece doesn't make the squeak go away where should i look next?
The cable's coming from the factory too dry or just plain old DRY. It's stripping the plastic gear in the hub and eventually....the back of the guages where it mounts. I've had to order two guages for customers already. Get the cable off....strip and grease it... reasseble and put grease in the hub portion as well.

As a matter of policy, we are doing this on the PDI on all 250 Ninja's now and anyone that comes in for service. Takes about 10min to do.:2cents

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The cable's coming from the factory too dry or just plain old DRY. It's stripping the plastic gear in the hub and eventually....the back of the guages where it mounts. I've had to order two guages for customers already. Get the cable off....strip and grease it... reasseble and put grease in the hub portion as well.

As a matter of policy, we are doing this on the PDI on all 250 Ninja's now and anyone that comes in for service. Takes about 10min to do.:2cents
How much does it cost to get that done?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts