BC Sport Bikes Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
My 2 cents...

1) bike stand? - not absolutely needed, but makes it incredibly easy. I got mine off craiglist for $60. If you plan to riding for awhile, a bike stand saves you lots of frustrationj. You;ll need spools as well (~$30)

2) oil and oil filter? Go to Burnaby Kawi or EMS. Some people swear by different brands, but the fact that you are changing it is probably the big bang for your buck.
If you have a Ninja 250 - the oil and filter will run you just over $30 at EMS

3) chain lube - again, many differing opinions. I use the PJ blue label chain lube (as recommended by Burnaby Kawi).I am sure others would work fine too.

4) clutch cable too loose - try adjusting it at the adjuster at the clutch lever, but also at the end of the clutch cable (sits ontop of where you pour in the oil). There should be a nut you can adjust down there as well.

5) +1 on getting the manual and doing the PRS course. Or you can find a friend that has done this before and buy him a beer. I'd offer (as I have all the equipment) but I am out of town this weekend).

Good luck!

·
Registered
258 Posts
If it is a 2008+ ninja 250, you don't need a special tool to remove the oil filter. Just a standard socket wrench. Use socket wrench to remove the oil filter cover- the oil, filter and bolt will come out. Should be clearly illustrated in the manual. Once you do it once, it is much easier and enjoyable the next time.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.