BC Sport Bikes Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Fastronaut
6,508 Posts
So we had the motorcycle parking gig. A swing and a miss.

Then we went out with some aftermarket pipes on a Harley and rode around the one place in the city where you can be pretty well sure the cops will tag you. Another strike though.

The next thing I would expect to see is a ticket for a non-DOT helmet.

Disappoint me and get dinged for riding that Ducati in your press photo while standing on the pegs. You'll get waves of support here on that journey.

·
Fastronaut
6,508 Posts
If they can ban loud pipes, they can easily ban sport bikes, or all guns following the same logic.
Loud pipes are already de facto banned.

Slippery slope means you start out with event A, and extrapolate that after that B, C, D, etc. must follow until the predetermined event Z is inevitable and inescapable.

The problem with this reasoning is that it avoids engaging with the issue at
hand, and instead shifts attention to baseless extreme hypothetical threats. The merits
of the original argument are then tainted by unsubstantiated conjecture

Let's bring on more new members/low posters in this thread though to support Ian; I would suppose it is mere coincidence they have selected this thread to join the site's discourse.

·
Fastronaut
6,508 Posts
This whole deal is a stinking pile of bullshit and it is my business because when wankers go out with an agenda that backfires and the ripples go out over the province it affects me. It is my business.

Every show off twat who crashes and raises the risk of insuring a motorcycle makes my insurance more expensive.

Every moron who draws attention to the fact a motorcycle will triple the current speed limit.

Every jackass who kills himself in what would have been a minor get off and pushes the need for more restrictions.

Let's look at the current agenda.

By coincidence we have a fellow who claims he doesn't like loud pipes but he winds up with a bike and exhaust system that can only gracefully called stupidly loud. He assures us he never turns up the throttle though so you can hear the pipes; he just wants to posses them.

By coincidence he's buddy buddy with BCCOM, the support group for folks who happen to live and die by several outdated and unrealistic credos. Things that were debunked in the 70's.

By coincidence he takes the motorcycle with loud pipes that he never uses to the place in the city were folks with similar bikes like to rip around and make as much noise as they can. It's gotten so bad the VPD has directed enforcement there.

By coincidence he finds what he describes as the "zealot" police officer and he wins himself a ticket. The then wraps himself in the flag of a freedom loving motorcyclist and he runs it all the way up the Supreme Court loosing all the way.

He bets it all, he looses it all, and he fucks the rest of us. And then after he's done that he drops in here to drum up some support but he finds in non-existent. What else could go wrong for him?

·
Fastronaut
6,508 Posts
Well at least one person in this thread is good on snow tires.

The rest of us will continue to live on the edge.

But thanks for the warning generic low post count user who signed up to contribute to the downtown parking thread and has now successfully posted in this conversation.

Congratulations; you have have earned a high score in facepalm.

·
Fastronaut
6,508 Posts
Hi new poster, you're new here so let's be clear.

Your boy Ian went looking for a fight. He found it, got his ass kicked and has now crawled on here and wrapped himself in the flag of a fellow rider to drum up support.

No sale.

What I do, and what I don't do, I do not post up on the web. No youtube videos, no thinly veiled descriptions of moonlight runs or any other self aggrandizing proof that I'm as much of an outlaw as the rest of the crowd.

I ride for myself and with myself. When I make a bad call I pull myself out of the shit. I also don't coincidentally put myself in ridiculous circumstances as the OP has here. If winding up where he did on that bike with that exhaust wasn't deliberate then it was criminally clueless.

I like reading the posts here from both riders that I agree and those that I disagree with. I post myself with no expectations of support or a pep rally.

We work by big boy rules here. Your background suggests you'll find some folks here that will share similar views but don't march in here expecting a red carpet.

PS, the little picture? It's because I'm stubborn too. It's just something I recognize as part of my personality though; not an excuse for bad behavior.

·
Fastronaut
6,508 Posts
At least he admits he just quickly read the post and didn't read the blog. This is definitely short attention span theater here.
No it is surely not.

This is "read between the lines theater" and I'm not surprised you and your shills find it frustrating.

Don't expect anyone here to change. We're stubborn; I'm not sure if you get that yet.

While you're at it though how about answering the other questions direct to you in this thread.

·
Fastronaut
6,508 Posts
Few people enjoy listening to loud bikes (not even me oddly) so one of the big reasons that I fought an uphill battle in Supreme court was prejudice against the proverbial loud Harley. Notwithstanding that fact, hopefully nobody advocates the practice of arbitrary charges and the creation of objective evidence that's not relevant to the charge.

Some of you have rightly observed I embarassed myself fighting the charge. I didn't fight the charge to save money, I fought it because I was charged for something I did not do (noisy operation) and the charge carries penalty points that I believe (and so should you) should be reserved for risk related vehicle operation. I did not get charged for loud pipes, rather noisy operation... there's a difference. For the record, I don't care about the money. It cost me a hell of a lot more than the fine to fight the charge.

I called the media because I felt the subject of OSMV appointed adjudicators, which are about to replace our traffic courts for disputes, should be questioned, particularly in light of the fact that police officers are today more than ever in a position of power with low burden of proof for evidence in justifying charges under the motor vehicle act. This cop, who's received a Chief's commendation for evidence gathering, who knew better ... corroborated his flimsy subjective evidence with useless and misleading objective evidence that he created. It took an immense amount of work to expose him.

Silly me, I miscalculated and thought the media might be interested in rogue cops, especially if we are about to eliminate traffic courts and become even more reliant on police integrity.

However, unfortunately the reporter sent to cover the story was not a court reporter and initially required a review in how Supreme Court worked (five minutes before my court appearance). So a weak story emerged online two hours later that completely missed the point. Subsequently, one of the senior editors at The Province, who has a hate on for loud bikes, saw the story, made some assumptions and voila ... I became the poster boy for the two days of editorials and letters that ensued.

For those of you that think I should have been swift enough to control what the reporter scribbled or wrote.... sorry I am just not that good.

Adele at BCCOM is right, I don't do things to save my ass, I do them because they are the right thing to do. Correct it the first time properly, and nobody has to deal with it afterward. If everybody did just that, we would not have to deal with the terrible legislation that Victoria now heaps upon us ... which they know they can do because people take the easier route more often than not.

Thanks Adele, for standing up for riders, what's right, and for putting a good word in for me.

By the way, if you are naive enough to believe everything you read in the tabloid media or that interviewees have any control over what reporters write or editors produce, you need to go back to school.

For anyone interested, I've published a follow up to the Supreme Court dismissal here .
Your quote, my bold re rogue.

During your cross examination did you try any of the cracks about short attention span theater, ignorance of the rest of the people in the room who didn't agree with you?

Maybe snide commentary is what scuppered the case.

·
Fastronaut
6,508 Posts
There's only two officers involved in your trial, and you are quoted that you thought the media would be interested in rogue cops.

So, either your making up this scenario of rogue cops in your story to feed the media, or you're stating that these two officers are rogue. Which one is it? That statement is not clear!
My theory is the "rogue cops" installed the pipes.

He was in fact set up by internal affairs just like in the movies.

·
Fastronaut
6,508 Posts
I'm not a lawyer, a cop, or a judge.

I am in the court of public opinion though and I've always been happy to contribute to that.

Ian I find your whole demeanor to be unpleasant. I will presently refrain from using my more plain spoken terms.

The folks who suggested the Dale Carnegie books aren't joking around or trying to score points off you. Your posts come across as negative and passive aggressive. If that is simply your style of writing then you should re-think.

You have come to a well established website as an outsider and an underdog. There are members on here who can't seem to to walk out the door without falling afoul of the law so you will win a few to your side but overall the derision and ridicule will continue from the bulk of the membership until you mend your ways.

Your followers and supporters that recently joined to comment on parking and the noise ticket are also unpleasant and their posts lower your standing more than you can imagine.

If your answer is you don't care then please leave and don't care somewhere else and on your own time.

But I can't help but suspect you do care and as you're presented yourself in the media as a motorcycling advocate I believe you came here for the support of the membership. Your failure to win support in the choir here is troubling.

If you can't win us over to your side how can you effectively lobby the non-riders in positions of power? You should be looking at your performance here with a much more critical eye.

You are free to feel as you like about your stance but when you use snide or derisive language to reply instead of charm you take the low road and the low road never turns out well. Calling your critics out to "prove" you did wrong is also a mistake. The tone of this thread is all the proof you should need.

·
Fastronaut
6,508 Posts
Well now you've officially stepped on your dick. You came here looking for support so don't pretend you were trying to perform some sort of public service by warning us about bad people who did you wrong.

I voiced my opinion as a man on the street. You replied and the time I took those answers at face value. I"m going to need to rethink that position.

You say you don't carry this attitude into court, etc. but I can't help but think that you do based on your track record. For some reason that particular police officer decided to write you up for a rough ride. The way you speak to me gives me a pretty good idea why.

Like John Wayne said, "Life is tough, it's tougher when you're stupid".

·
Fastronaut
6,508 Posts
I don't think you know why you're here.

I don't know why you're here but I can tell you what you've done.

I can tell you that I don't need you. As an advocate you fumble the ball every time it's passed to you.

Now you may not need me as an individual, but you do need people like me to support your advocacy.

This conversation started out as "there's a guy who's a jackass and got a ticket as a result" which is not news around here by any stretch and instead of displaying any charisma and winning me, and other members over till we agreed with your points and had your back you put this into a death spiral.

I stepped in and other members did too to offer you a second chance to state but for some reason you'd rather be objectionable. In the long run not everyone will support your politics but when you're building your base of support you can't act this way.

·
Fastronaut
6,508 Posts
Well I'm glad he was able to quote my posts without reading or understanding them.

If there was ever a poster child needed for Born to Loose we've found him.

·
Fastronaut
6,508 Posts
Fourteen pages about Screaming Beagle pipes and now OP brings up the Supreme Court. Can't we just move on to the topic of somebody who got a ticket because their ape hangers were too high or their plate was mounted sideways? :rolleyes
Could be worse; could be talking about V-stroms.

·
Fastronaut
6,508 Posts
Yes, but the same cars don't exceed the speed limit just by turning the ignition on...same.can't be said about some straight piped bikes...
A straight piped bike will exceed the speed limit by just turning on the ignition? Man I have got to get me one of those,,,

·
Fastronaut
6,508 Posts
The point is the argument is specious.

All vehicles will exceed the speed limit by a solid enough margin go get them seized (unless you're on a riding mower).

Trying to connect the idea that a motorcycle can exceed the speed limit but is not illegal so a exhaust that exceeds the noise limit should also be legal doesn't fly.

·
Fastronaut
6,508 Posts
No, it's not. All vehicles CAN exceed the speed limit, sure, but it doesn't HAVE to. You have to conciously want to speed, i.e. step on the accelerator pedal until the vehicle speed exceeds the speed limit. On the other hand, some of the straight piped bikes are so loud that even just starting them up they exceed the noise limit. That means as soon as it is operated, it is illegal, i.e. it cannot be operated in a way that is under the sound limit. See the difference?
I get it, the speed theory is not my red herring.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.