BC Sport Bikes Forum banner
1 - 14 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
18,914 Posts
Just exactly how do you "stand out"?

You love loud pipes... good on you. I love them too... I just don't love hearing every obnoxious pirate clown on a screaming eagle straighpipe bagger taking off from a light and making more noise than a jumbo jet. Enough already.

It does nothing but disturb the space around them to a degree that is unreasonable. The stock bike sounds nice as it is.

I love the sound of a Harley straight from the factory. It's very nice to listen to.

When you can hear it 500 meters away screaming like mad, it's really nothing more than noise pollution.

·
Registered
18,914 Posts
As I type this, some joker goes down Lougheed Highway, 2 blocks from my house... and I can tell it's a Harley with straight pipes.

Completely obnoxious. Car noise, minimal. Other bikes, minimal. Harley with open pipes... shit, I can still hear him as he just left the next traffic light.

Everyone else blends in. They harley douche, sticks out as he goes by, and while he blocks away.

·
Registered
18,914 Posts
d
It is easy to just pull out from a list of argument fallacies and put it in a post.

Can you elaborate on the logic I was implying?
You can say whatever you like.

Someone can have an obnoxious bike and ride it around quietly, we get that. They can all argue that despite their bike has the capacity to be loud, it was not being ridden in that manner.

Apparently an argument that should stand up without prosecution in your world. Are we going to tie up the process in a he said she said because you claim that while it's possible, it wasn't how it was operated?

This guy was given a ticket because he was making too much noise. Who gives a shit about the technical babble about this or that... we can all claim we had a bike capable of making noise and not riding it that way.

You don't want the hassle... keep the fucking straight pipes off your harley. Simple fucking solution to your issues and troubles.

I've never heard of someone on a harley with a stock exhaust system being ticketed for a noise violation. EVER.

And again as I type, some pirate boffo goes down the highway making more noise than anything else, by a wide margin.

Harley guys are the worst offenders. I think they are all heading to Maple Ridge, home of the white trash! LOL.

Oh wait, there goes a sportbike... I think it's a 600.

All night long, bikes making crazy amounts of noise. Another Harley. Same story.

·
Registered
18,914 Posts
Let's bring on more new members/low posters in this thread though to support Ian; I would suppose it is mere coincidence they have selected this thread to join the site's discourse.
Ding ding.

Like the MC parking thread where all of a sudden people show up who never post here otherwise.

F off already.

Someone chimes in with 6 posts in 3 years all of a sudden on this thread? It's like Crystal and her rubbish posts.

·
Registered
18,914 Posts
Loud pipe sure saves lives somewhere on the open road
No they do not. Why on earth do you think that to be true?

You understand how noise works... right? Sound doesn't travel forward out of your motorcycle pipe so someone doesn't turn left in front of you.

Okay, maybe you are right.. maybe someone doesn't rear end some wanker revving his pipe up at a light.

I've heard lots of people turn left and hit a bike saying "I didn't see them". I've neer heard "I never heard him".

The pipe is in the rear, the noise is out the back. It doesn't travel forwards to motorists.

I've never been nearly hit because nobody could hear my bike. But I've sure ridden around and thought "this bike is obnoxious, I ought to fix this... it's irritating to me... and probably others".

·
Registered
18,914 Posts
Danke, after reading your post, I now understand the donkey self-portrait. You're suggesting that this thread is only for riders who blather on-and-on totally off-topic, about what good citizens they are, and how they'd never be naughty on 2 wheels? Nobody else can reply? Give us a break! I've been riding motorcycles for over 50 years, and I just heard that there was a thread here with an endless stream of posts from mentally-challenged self-righteous dick-heads who truly don't read too good. But my civic duty is to help all here to understand that the OP was about arbitrary enforcement, NOT loud pipes! Even a donkey should be able to understand that. How about contributing something useful to the topic instead of just using up good real estate telling everyone what a good boy you are.
Where or for whom did you hear about it?

·
Registered
18,914 Posts
I'm with the OP on this one. The whole "loud pipes save lives" is indeed incredibly subjective, and has been beaten to death over the decades no doubt, but surely those pipes help a bit with getting the attention of nearby cars - especially if you're approaching one from behind near their blind spot in a two lane road.

The problem with people now a days is they are too goddamn whiny, if any small thing offends one of their senses they feel it necessary to cry a river and make a big deal about it. People need to suck it up and stop being such pansies, a lot of shit is obnoxious in life, before you know it Canada will be as bad as the US and start suing people over any, and every little thing possible - if we aren't already at that stage yet in our society. An obvious stretch but, next we'll be limited on the type of clothes we can wear because, it may offend or come off as "obnoxious" to others. Besides all that, you would really think the police have better shit to do than hassle people over trivial shit like bikes that make a bit of noise, and it's typically only a summer deal so, it's not as though it's a constant all year round thing.

Not that my opinion will change a damn thing any ways but, yes I am biased because my Spirit has after market pipes with modified baffles, although it's not as loud as a straight piped HD, it's still on the loud side and I enjoy it.
Your aftermarket pipes on a Honda Shadow Spirit just draw attention to the fact you are riding a womans bike.

Why the hell are you even on bcsportbikes? You've never even ridden a sportbike.

If I was at a stoplight beside a man riding a spirit with open pipes blipping the gas, I'd open my visor and call it like it is.

"IS THAT YOUR WIFES BIKE?"

·
Registered
18,914 Posts
Really? Sounds more like school-boys arguing about who is the most law-abiding suck. Nobody's paying attention to the creeping legal shit coming towards us bikers.No kidding. Where are you going to find help when BC Justice/AG decides that you can't ride your motorcycle from October to March unless you have approved snow tires?That's the law in Quebec. Have you ever seen legal snow-tires for motorcycles? <em><strong>There's no such thing</strong>.</em> Are you going to come here and say you'd never think of complaining because you're such a law-abiding boy scout? But, instead of trying to help this guy with the muffler enforcement issue, you all started trying to show who is the most obedient biker suck who would never have loud pipes. That's not the issue. The issue is learning how to defend motorcyclists against improper legislation and shady enforcement. The law dudes in Justice/Attorney General's department have nothing to do all day long except dream up new ways of harassing bikers. Next to come will be "No passengers under 15 years of age", like Quebec. Then legal standards for Daytime Running Lights. I'm suggesting you'd better start learning to defend yourselves against this kind of legal shit and stop attacking each other like a bunch of pious stubborn hall-monitors. After the legislation is implemented, you've had it. It never changes. You got to start dealing with the J/AG dudes who have you in their sights, and stop attacking other bikers who are fighting your battles for you.
Sorry.

Where or from whom did you hear about this thread?

You said you heard about it, I'd like to know the source of that.

·
Registered
18,914 Posts
No one likes loosing freedoms and when people use common sense in many cases the law makers are not on your case. But as the old saying goes "common sense ain't very common" The cruiser crowd and their ridiculous noisy straight pipes are almost singlehandedly the cause of impending laws in different parts of the country and the USA. Wearing goofy salad bowls quite frankly should have been your choice or no helmets for that matter because if you wish to take the risks then what do I care but the deep seated need to be "noticed" is effecting all of us with the straight pipes. You guys are not going to use common sense yourselves so the law makers will do it for you.
Brap brap! Agreed.

If you can't get people to conform to something reasonable by rules voluntarily, then you have to enforce shit upon them.

The straight pipe **** have been getting away with it far too long.. it's about time someone put the hammer down and shut these fuckers up.

·
Registered
18,914 Posts
None of your business, troll. Take a hike. Stick to the topic or buzz off.
It is on topic. Answer the question or fuck the hell off.

What are you, some 6 post fucking wonder that shows up on some politically charged thread?

I know exactly what the issues are and what the topic is. I also know both sides of the topic VERY well, regardless of what I post.

These issues were around before tooter lost his case... or before you ever created an account.

You speak of trolls. Someone should delete your account... that is all it is. One post on the parking thing and then this...

Stick around and participate for a while.... people might actually take what you post with some merit.

I've followed this fiasco and the parking thing with great interest, and neither of them has done anything to further the interests of motorcycles in the province.

You can bump your gums about whatever you like. None of this has got ANY traction... in the courts, in the media... or on forums like BCSB.

·
Registered
18,914 Posts
"Am I missing something?" No kidding, you're just missing the entire thing! Some of you guys come across as dumb as a sack of rocks. He ADMITS he had loud pipes. What is it about you guys who don't get that? The lawsuit was about ARBITRARY noise measurement, not loud pipes. Sheesh! You guys seem to be smart enough to ride motorcycles, so what's causing the huge brain farts over what the legal issue is? I suspect that some of you are law enforcement types who just want to use this forum lecture riders about pipes and helmets, which is why you're coming across so retarded about the legal issues.
If you ask me, putting loud pipes on your bike and then complaining about noise enforcement (arbitrary or otherwise) comes across as just silly.

But I did read a quote in the Province where he said he was "stubborn".

·
Registered
18,914 Posts
Probably the most relevant question is whether or not he's put the aftermarket open pipe termi's on his Ducati, or if the "screaming eagle" situation has changed his riding habits.

·
Registered
18,914 Posts
Would your interpretation make sense though?

If it would be that easy, and just let the cops' subjective opinions do the talking, why would they need all those engineers and experts to come up with the standards.

I have seen Canada Safety Standards conducted at the Transport Canada Test center located north of Montreal. It is not conducted by a cop and giving his or her subjective opinion. There is a lot of equipment and scientific procedures to follow. It is an engineering standard. How many cops are engineers and are trained to conduct the sound pressure level test. Never mind whether a police officer is able to do the same thing without the required equipment and scientific procedures.

Are you suggesting that the schedule to Division 7 is not needed because we have cops?
You can't tell by listening to an exhaust whether it's too loud or not? I'm not an engineer or a police officer, but I can tell you that with probably a very high level of accuracy I could determine what is too loud... which would probably be backed up with spl results to confirm I (as a simple citizen) am right on the money.

I don't even have to hear the bike... I can tell you by looking at the exhaust whether or not it's going to fail the test.

·
Registered
18,914 Posts
someone I know with a Gixxer street-fighter got a ticket becasue his license plate was 'trimmed' to an oval shape (the corners were carefully clipped off), the other day.

No trimming plates, people!
I have a friend who's a plate trimmer. He got nabbed. Had to get a new plate... took it to the station to show the cop... and then went home and trimmed it again. LOL! Damn those motorbikes!

1 - 14 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.