BC Sport Bikes Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Resident Contrarian
634 Posts
Is it possible to own a gun and not use it to commit murder, rob banks, threaten others, and what else convicted criminals do with guns.

Just because there are some out there that commit crimes with guns, should we ban all guns.

I believe what the O.P is saying is that although he has loud pipes, there is no proof that he is one of the perpetrators the relevant loud pipe laws intended to target.

If they can ban loud pipes, they can easily ban sport bikes, or all guns following the same logic..
This logic is known as the slippery slope fallacy, it really doesn't hold up.

They have DB measuring tools - you'll seem at White Rock beach in the summer issuing warnings and citations. Those with pipes restore them to stock, go get them certified, and then modify them all over again.

·
Resident Contrarian
634 Posts
It is easy to just pull out from a list of argument fallacies and put it in a post.

Can you elaborate on the logic I was implying?
You essentially stated that once they ban one thing, they'll reach for the next, and the next, and the next. Hence the fallacy. If that were the case guns would be illegal, the long-gun registry would be in full effect rather than scrapped etc. (this is just following off your gun comments).

The fact of the matter is - we can still purchase bikes with near unlimited power. When the government starts limiting the HP on a bike, or the CC size, then you can claim that it's only a matter of time before the bikes themselves are banned as that directly relates to the issues you brought up. Pipes are entirely different.

This issue was about noise complaints due to the idiotic way people with loud pipes ride them in cities. The *people* are the ones who complained and the government listened. That is how a democracy is supposed to work. Generally speaking the only people who want loud pipes legal are those who use and abuse them.

·
Resident Contrarian
634 Posts
I'm not a lawyer, a cop, or a judge.

I am in the court of public opinion though and I've always been happy to contribute to that.

Ian I find your whole demeanor to be unpleasant. I will presently refrain from using my more plain spoken terms.

The folks who suggested the Dale Carnegie books aren't joking around or trying to score points off you. Your posts come across as negative and passive aggressive. If that is simply your style of writing then you should re-think.

You have come to a well established website as an outsider and an underdog. There are members on here who can't seem to to walk out the door without falling afoul of the law so you will win a few to your side but overall the derision and ridicule will continue from the bulk of the membership until you mend your ways.

Your followers and supporters that recently joined to comment on parking and the noise ticket are also unpleasant and their posts lower your standing more than you can imagine.

If your answer is you don't care then please leave and don't care somewhere else and on your own time.

But I can't help but suspect you do care and as you're presented yourself in the media as a motorcycling advocate I believe you came here for the support of the membership. Your failure to win support in the choir here is troubling.

If you can't win us over to your side how can you effectively lobby the non-riders in positions of power? You should be looking at your performance here with a much more critical eye.

You are free to feel as you like about your stance but when you use snide or derisive language to reply instead of charm you take the low road and the low road never turns out well. Calling your critics out to "prove" you did wrong is also a mistake. The tone of this thread is all the proof you should need.
/end thread. Great post

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.