BC Sport Bikes Forum banner
241 - 252 of 252 Posts

·
California dreamin'
2,440 Posts
So if I'm a prospective member, looking at what they deem important, I can't question it, instead I'm supposed to give them my money and then ask and see if they'll address it? I don't know many businesses that would succeed with that model. I also don't know many people who would join an organization that speaks for them and hand them money while watching them go after issues they don't think are important.

The reality is that the majority of motorcyclists in BC ride cruisers and the membership of BCCOM reflects this; thus, the issues they pursue are those important to those who ride cruisers, namely loud pipes and beanie helmets. Unfortunately, neither of those issues resonate much with the BCSB crowd. I suppose if several thousand non-cruiser riders joined BCCOM then the issues the organization pursues (or at least their priorities) might change.

Myself, I cannot stand obnoxiously loud pipes (which seem to be most often attached to a cruiser) and support efforts to clamp down on them. For the record, I have an an aftermarket slip on exhaust on my bike but have enough common sense not to ride in a manner that generates a lot of noise in areas where doing so will annoy a heap of people.

·
Poser Emeritus
2,736 Posts

·
Registered
754 Posts
Actually Adele we are all waiting for you to answer the same questions over on ADV Rider.

http://advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=18795434&postcount=34
Adele was right. You just didn't like her answer.

Originally Posted by bccom View Post
I actually joined Avid Rider in 2009 but have just been reading what is on people’s minds like I do on many other sites. BCCOM is neither a society nor a charity. I guess you might call it a private organization/incorporated. We represent approximately 6,000 members who include clubs, individual members and the original 1,000 gold bars holders who started BCCOM. Our money comes from membership as well as donations and events that we have been involved in. BCCOM has been in existence for 27 years and have achieved many accomplishments which can be found on the website. We are invited for consultation with government, police, municipalities, TransLink and ICBC on many issues. Over the years BCCOM has tried the “board” style model but did not find it efficient. As the current executive director I have many advisors depending on the issue and they are mainly lawyers and ex-politicians. We are directed by our membership as to issues they feel are important. I would further state that we work within government to try to bring motorcyclists and their thoughts forward. It is a nominal fee per year and gives motorcyclists a chance to have a voice within government.

Oh forgot to mention many dealers, shops and manufacturers belong as well.

·
Poser Emeritus
2,736 Posts
I guess it isn't surprising since this standard really went overboard in making it easy to conduct the test on the road side.
The test is quite simple to perform I have seen it done.

In the video I liked the part when the Engineer talked abut the AMA's endorsement and that it provides a basis for :

harmony for legislation,
reasonable law enforcement
it provides a benefit to the community and a benefit to riders,
and that the AMA has done a stellar job.

I have belonged to the AMA for years it is a top notch organization publishes a decent magazine and provides full disclosure
to it's membership of 225,694 riders. Annual revenue of the AMA last year were $14,235,733. The AMA provides everything one would expect and hides nothing. As a Member I can sign into the website and read the minutes of the Board Meetings.

Here is a link for the press/general public

http://www.americanmotorcyclist.com/about/Media/FactsAndFigures.aspx

·
Registered
754 Posts
The test is quite simple to perform I have seen it done.
This is a simplified sound pressure level test for road side use. This test is essentially designed for law enforcement use to be adopted by provincial and lower governments. I hope that they are in harmony with the federal standards.

So we have to ask ourselves, for those who live in the False Creek corridor, or the Vancouver West Side, are the residents of these neighbourhoods really up-in-arms about motorcycles exhaust noise at idle or cruising at 2000 rpm (or 5000 rpm for sport bikes), or the "wake-up-the-dead" loud exhaust noise from certain motor vehicles when they are gunning it going across the Cambie Bridge, or the Georgia Via Duct, for example.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #247 ·
Myself, I cannot stand obnoxiously loud pipes (which seem to be most often attached to a cruiser) and support efforts to clamp down on them. For the record, I have an an aftermarket slip on exhaust on my bike but have enough common sense not to ride in a manner that generates a lot of noise in areas where doing so will annoy a heap of people.
I feel the same way. Common sense can and should prevail. Ride your bike like an idiot downtown and you deserve a ticket. If you are a cop and you abuse the trust of the public by throwing your weight around, using bad judgement, or creating evidence ... you deserve to get challenged and even punished if the result of what you do is harmful.

·
Fastronaut
6,508 Posts
That is the way things used to be. Everyone was given the benefit of the doubt to act in a sane and reasonable manner.

Those days are gone as a result of people who refused to behave in a civil manner.

·
That new bike smell
2,863 Posts
Saw a Harley rider yesterday who went above and beyond Screaming Seagull pipes. His pirate pack included a blaring sound system pounding out some moldy Rock 101 tunes. Saddest rolling midlife crisis ever.

241 - 252 of 252 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.