BC Sport Bikes Forum banner
21 - 40 of 252 Posts

·
Registered
18,913 Posts
Let's bring on more new members/low posters in this thread though to support Ian; I would suppose it is mere coincidence they have selected this thread to join the site's discourse.
Ding ding.

Like the MC parking thread where all of a sudden people show up who never post here otherwise.

F off already.

Someone chimes in with 6 posts in 3 years all of a sudden on this thread? It's like Crystal and her rubbish posts.

·
Registered
18,913 Posts
Loud pipe sure saves lives somewhere on the open road
No they do not. Why on earth do you think that to be true?

You understand how noise works... right? Sound doesn't travel forward out of your motorcycle pipe so someone doesn't turn left in front of you.

Okay, maybe you are right.. maybe someone doesn't rear end some wanker revving his pipe up at a light.

I've heard lots of people turn left and hit a bike saying "I didn't see them". I've neer heard "I never heard him".

The pipe is in the rear, the noise is out the back. It doesn't travel forwards to motorists.

I've never been nearly hit because nobody could hear my bike. But I've sure ridden around and thought "this bike is obnoxious, I ought to fix this... it's irritating to me... and probably others".

·
countdown to next crash..
2,658 Posts
you say you hate loud pipes yet have screaming eagles on your bike. You say the reporter didn't write the story the way you wanted, but you have dealt with the press before yet allowed yourself to be quoted saying you didn't want to pay the ticket because you're "a cheap scot" then say now that the money wasn't the reason behind it?

Enough bullshit already. A flowery post after that doesn't change the facts. You had loud pipes on your bike. You got dinged for a ticket. You wasted taxpayers money fighting it because (as you were quoted) you didn't want to pay the ticket, and now I read in the latest story you're considering an appeal?

Dude. Just fucking drop it already. Pay the ticket. You may have been working on wonderful things for the community as far as motorcycle parking downtown, that's awesome, focus on that. The longer you draw this shit out the less seriously anyone is going to take you.

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
I too have dealt with the media and they have deliberately twisted the facts of the story only to incite controversy with the public, because this was her agenda all along. This was her way of getting a story and her interviewing me was just going through the motions of creating enough ammunition and distance from the truth to make the discourse with the public all that more venemous.

I no longer talk to the media. Alan Garr of the Courier was the last asshole I told to go fuck off. (not in those specific words,)

I'm sure the reporter was only looking for the angle she wanted and had a hidden agenda all along. Much like my situation, you were down for the count even before you spoke your first words into the mic.

While I don't agree with some of the things you've done or how you've gone about representing the motorcycling community, I do believe that fighting this is not worth bringing up.

·
Registered
603 Posts
No they do not. Why on earth do you think that to be true?

You understand how noise works... right? Sound doesn't travel forward out of your motorcycle pipe so someone doesn't turn left in front of you.

The pipe is in the rear, the noise is out the back. It doesn't travel forwards to motorists.
Rubbish. Of course you can hear sound being directed away from you. Sound isn't linear, it's an ever expanding series of waves, that bounce off anything and everything in their path, sending those vibrations through the air.

Sound travels at 767+/- mph in air, so the Hog with the annoying pipes is blatting out noise which even though traveling "away" from you, has all the surrounding surfaces, including variable densities of the atmosphere itself, reflecting those 767 mph waves in all directions. In this instance, including forward, stupendously faster than the actual source of the sound is going.

All those Harleys you are hearing aren't *all* traveling "ahead" or "away" from you, many of them are traveling towards you, but you still hear their pipes.

·
BannedSpammer
3,339 Posts
My SV is pretty loud if I ride it hard. When I come home late I do my best to idle it into my house from more than two blocks away, as it's slightly downhill. If I leave at night it's a little tougher as I have to ride away uphill, but I try and load the engine as little as possible, and do a couple shifts real low....like 3000 rpm, to keep the volume down.

...but that's only in my neighborhood. I'm sure I'm being cursed by people elsewhere in the city. Still, my bike sure as shit ain't anywhere near as loud as a straight-piped harley.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Is it possible to own a gun and not use it to commit murder, rob banks, threaten others, and what else convicted criminals do with guns.

Just because there are some out there that commit crimes with guns, should we ban all guns.

I believe what the O.P is saying is that although he has loud pipes, there is no proof that he is one of the perpetrators the relevant loud pipe laws intended to target.

If they can ban loud pipes, they can easily ban sport bikes, or all guns following the same logic.

There certainly are those who do go out of the way to disturb the peace, but then there are also those that don't.

They really need something equivalent to a radar gun to catch the perpetrators. If we instead go out and catch those while they are committing the act, then we don't need to ban nearly everything.

Just saying.
With those loud pipes on the mere act of starting the bike is already "using the gun to commit the crime", not to mention even normal operation of the motorcycle. What exactly is your point, that there's actually someone out there who installs a screaming eagle on a Harley then rides around in such a way that they are no louder than stock? You're kidding right?

·
Registered
501 Posts
Rubbish. Of course you can hear sound being directed away from you. Sound isn't linear, it's an ever expanding series of waves, that bounce off anything and everything in their path, sending those vibrations through the air.

Sound travels at 767+/- mph in air, so the Hog with the annoying pipes is blatting out noise which even though traveling "away" from you, has all the surrounding surfaces, including variable densities of the atmosphere itself, reflecting those 767 mph waves in all directions. In this instance, including forward, stupendously faster than the actual source of the sound is going.

All those Harleys you are hearing aren't *all* traveling "ahead" or "away" from you, many of them are traveling towards you, but you still hear their pipes.
Yes, you do hear their pipes from the front of the motorcycle, but the amount of sound energy traveling towards the front of the bike is less than that traveling to the rear of the bike, which means most of the noise is used for annoyance rather than safety...

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Said it over and over again, I know Ian through the fight for parking downtown. Some of you think asking for free parking is too much to ask but look around the world, it is not to much to ask. Ian is a stand up guy and what ever pipes you run you can run them respectfully, do not do the straight pipes thing because that is not true with screaming eagle. Try to be somewhat respectful to people who try to do something good for motorcycling instead of reading/buying into the media. You all hate the sensationalizing in the news regarding motorcycling, think about it.

·
Strebe für Hölle
209 Posts
I'm with the OP on this one. The whole "loud pipes save lives" is indeed incredibly subjective, and has been beaten to death over the decades no doubt, but surely those pipes help a bit with getting the attention of nearby cars - especially if you're approaching one from behind near their blind spot in a two lane road.

The problem with people now a days is they are too goddamn whiny, if any small thing offends one of their senses they feel it necessary to cry a river and make a big deal about it. People need to suck it up and stop being such pansies, a lot of shit is obnoxious in life, before you know it Canada will be as bad as the US and start suing people over any, and every little thing possible - if we aren't already at that stage yet in our society. An obvious stretch but, next we'll be limited on the type of clothes we can wear because, it may offend or come off as "obnoxious" to others. Besides all that, you would really think the police have better shit to do than hassle people over trivial shit like bikes that make a bit of noise, and it's typically only a summer deal so, it's not as though it's a constant all year round thing.

Not that my opinion will change a damn thing any ways but, yes I am biased because my Spirit has after market pipes with modified baffles, although it's not as loud as a straight piped HD, it's still on the loud side and I enjoy it.

·
Registered
754 Posts

You can say whatever you like.

Someone can have an obnoxious bike and ride it around quietly, we get that. They can all argue that despite their bike has the capacity to be loud, it was not being ridden in that manner.

Apparently an argument that should stand up without prosecution in your world. Are we going to tie up the process in a he said she said because you claim that while it's possible, it wasn't how it was operated?

This guy was given a ticket because he was making too much noise. Who gives a shit about the technical babble about this or that... we can all claim we had a bike capable of making noise and not riding it that way.
I agree that there is definitely a problem with loud exhaust pipes. There is a line that shouldn't be cross and hence would not be tolerated. This problem needs to be solved. However, just coming up with something that is expedient but at the expense of others is not something I would support. We need competent people to come up with a solution that can both solve the problem effectively and without taking away people's freedom or enjoyment unnecessarily. Air bags was a safety device that emerged even though it was quite technically and economically challenging. There were many other alternatives tried before that. But with the human factor also taken into account, the air bag was hard to beat, and it was pursued and won out in the end.

With those loud pipes on the mere act of starting the bike is already "using the gun to commit the crime", not to mention even normal operation of the motorcycle. What exactly is your point, that there's actually someone out there who installs a screaming eagle on a Harley then rides around in such a way that they are no louder than stock? You're kidding right?
Funny you mentioned this.

I don't know if you had the experience of hearing the exhaust note of a stock Bandit 1250S. Quiet would be an understatement. However, I even find this exhaust too loud for my liking. I am not one who happens to like loud exhaust noise.

An example of what crosses the line for me are bikers/drivers (both custom cruisers and other vehicles with loud pipes) who would open up the throttle across Cambie Bridge. There would be so many, many people they would be offending in one twist/jab. This is a really, really stupid and rude thing to do. Startling others is another one. This is just inviting backlash from the masses.

A while back someone moved into a house behind mine who happened to ride a Fat Boy with open pipes, I believe. He only stayed there for less than a couple of years just to renovate and flip.

Other neighbourhood is fairly quiet. And this is one of the reasons why I like it here. The neighbours do not really tolerate anything obnoxiously loud here.

However, as it turns out, the Fat Boy was more tolerable than I expected. The owner/rider was very respectful. Of course we can hear it, including starting it up. However, he was careful not to cross "the line". It was obvious to me he tried hard not to disturb the neighbourhood unnecessarily. And I didn't hear about any neighbours taking action.

There is another bike owner on my block, and someone across the street just bought one. My bikes are the quietest around here I believe. However, although the other bikes stand out when it comes to exhaust note loudness, no one is complaining.

I also know about another neighbourhood that is like this one. The owner is a son of a family that grew up in that neighbourhood. However, he respectfully keeps things quiet enough so the neighbours don't complain. I know someone who lives a few house away. One time, when I first heard of the signature rumbling going by, I made a comment to this person I was visiting that this rider is certainly trying hard not to disturb the neighbours. And the person replied that they knew the family of this rider, and they have no problems with the rider nor the noise.

There are also parties held in our area from time to time. And you would think that the neighbours will call in the police since they would call them in for much lesser things. But no. The parties held around here don't cross "that line". It is disturbing but not overly so, and they only happen rarely, ie. the weekend after the last day of the school year.

To coexist in some resemblance of harmony, we really need to consider the concept of give and take. My muffler so happens to have developed a hole. So it got louder. I bought the replacement parts already but I haven't replaced it yet. But clearly it is louder than my bikes. However, no one has complained yet.

You essentially stated that once they ban one thing, they'll reach for the next, and the next, and the next. Hence the fallacy. If that were the case guns would be illegal, the long-gun registry would be in full effect rather than scrapped etc. (this is just following off your gun comments).

I'm afraid that is not the logic I was talking about at all. However, others got it.

Here's a hint.
The O.P.'s first post stated as follows:
Some of you have rightly observed I embarassed myself fighting the charge. I didn't fight the charge to save money, I fought it because I was charged for something I did not do (noisy operation) and the charge carries penalty points that I believe (and so should you) should be reserved for risk related vehicle operation. I did not get charged for loud pipes, rather noisy operation... there's a difference. For the record, I don't care about the money. It cost me a hell of a lot more than the fine to fight the charge.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Fuck being respectful, how about people keeping their goddam nose out of other people's business?

Look at Britain with their speed cameras. They'll let people buy bikes that go 300+ but god forbid if you try to use your own judgement to decide when to go fast. That's a hefty fine bub!

Lets show some respect for each other; let us make our own choices and not judge every goddam action.

·
countdown to next crash..
2,658 Posts
Fuck being respectful, how about people keeping their goddam nose out of other people's business?

Look at Britain with their speed cameras. They'll let people buy bikes that go 300+ but god forbid if you try to use your own judgement to decide when to go fast. That's a hefty fine bub!

Lets show some respect for each other; let us make our own choices and not judge every goddam action.
someone putting up a giant flowery post about this is inviting us to judge and respond. If he didn't want a reaction he shouldn't have posted it. I'm not required to agree with his actions, and I don't.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Here's a good example. Just think about the fools that bought houses near the mission track then went on to complain about the noise. These people knew full well there was a track nearby but rather than let that affect their decision they decided just to complain to the municipality. Jesus what a fucking joke. IT"S A RACETRACK FOR CHRIST SAKES.

When the restrictions began being applied more strictly people were saying "WTF"!!! Then the next season, "well if we want to race we need to abide", further on to "well we don't need loud bikes anyway".

Sure, pick your battles, and I'm not saying this was one that could have been won, but don't forget the initial reaction. It's still a WTF and rather than just repeating the rules every time the refrain should be followed up with a "but I still think its a load of shit".

·
Rawrr!
611 Posts
Oh..and screw the loud pipes.

So many assholes riding past our house every day in Delta with that loud crap rattling the walls. Yes...we hear you. Bunch of god damn cock gobblers. Irritating as all get out.

Even on the dualsport rallies I go to, there's a noise restriction on the exhausts. No need to be braaping through the bush disturbing the peace. Likewise through the streets where there's a multitude of people.

No sympathy from me at all if you get a ticket for the noise you make. You earned it.

·
Eyes set on the rubbarb
1,990 Posts
Yes, you do hear their pipes from the front of the motorcycle, but the amount of sound energy traveling towards the front of the bike is less than that traveling to the rear of the bike, which means most of the noise is used for annoyance rather than safety...
What this guy said. I can't usually hear a bike with loud pipes until it's almost beside me. I generally hear it for 1km after it passes me though.

Annoyance not safety. Note I said bikes and not harley, harleys are by far the worst though.

21 - 40 of 252 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.