BC Sport Bikes Forum banner
41 - 60 of 252 Posts

·
Registered
501 Posts
Fuck being respectful, how about people keeping their goddam nose out of other people's business?

Look at Britain with their speed cameras. They'll let people buy bikes that go 300+ but god forbid if you try to use your own judgement to decide when to go fast. That's a hefty fine bub!

Lets show some respect for each other; let us make our own choices and not judge every goddam action.
The issue with your statement is:
1. Sure, make your own choices. But if your choices affect me, then I have a say - that's the premise of "society" and coexistence and MUTUAL respect. You set-up group norms and people have to conform to the minimum level required by that group to co-exist peacefully. You talk about respect, how about respecting your fellow Robson street shopper's right to not having their aural senses blasted every few minutes?

2. Someone using their own judgement to go fast is fine, except when that judgement turns out to be wrong, and shit happens. Then either innocents get hurt or the speeder gets hurt, which in Canada means that my tax dollars is now subsidizing the bad judgement call.

TechyIam, your fatboy with open pipe rider was certainly respectful of his own neighbours - however, I am certain that he does not drive around like that all the time. You cannot guarantee that he's not one of those guys that blips their throttle on cambie or a stop light or what have you. I maintain that if you track the sound levels of a "typical" ride on the open-piped bike, you will see dB levels high enough to annoy everyone around him.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Fuck being respectful, how about people keeping their goddam nose out of other people's business?
Straight-piped harleys seem to invade my business every day... just yesterday, parked in my work vehicle in a park zone, a single harley went by that was so loud for so long I had to pause my phone call for a good 20-25 seconds. The person on the other side of my call finally asked "Wow how many bikes was that?" I had to tell her it was just one. Putting along at just 30 km/h it was still so loud nobody could hear anything for a good long while.

Don't tell me you can "control" the volume of a straight pipe. You're pushing the dB limit to the point where it actually causes pain on other people. I'm all for people enjoying their freedoms and liberties, but YOUR freedoms and liberties end at the point where they start impacting the freedoms and liberties of other people. End of story.

·
Strebe für Hölle
209 Posts
Here's a good example. Just think about the fools that bought houses near the mission track then went on to complain about the noise. These people knew full well there was a track nearby but rather than let that affect their decision they decided just to complain to the municipality. Jesus what a fucking joke. IT"S A RACETRACK FOR CHRIST SAKES.

When the restrictions began being applied more strictly people were saying "WTF"!!! Then the next season, "well if we want to race we need to abide", further on to "well we don't need loud bikes anyway".

Sure, pick your battles, and I'm not saying this was one that could have been won, but don't forget the initial reaction. It's still a WTF and rather than just repeating the rules every time the refrain should be followed up with a "but I still think its a load of shit".
If such is true then, that is fucking outrageous! I thought the track was the one safe and legal place to have a noisy vehicle

·
Fastronaut
6,508 Posts
This whole deal is a stinking pile of bullshit and it is my business because when wankers go out with an agenda that backfires and the ripples go out over the province it affects me. It is my business.

Every show off twat who crashes and raises the risk of insuring a motorcycle makes my insurance more expensive.

Every moron who draws attention to the fact a motorcycle will triple the current speed limit.

Every jackass who kills himself in what would have been a minor get off and pushes the need for more restrictions.

Let's look at the current agenda.

By coincidence we have a fellow who claims he doesn't like loud pipes but he winds up with a bike and exhaust system that can only gracefully called stupidly loud. He assures us he never turns up the throttle though so you can hear the pipes; he just wants to posses them.

By coincidence he's buddy buddy with BCCOM, the support group for folks who happen to live and die by several outdated and unrealistic credos. Things that were debunked in the 70's.

By coincidence he takes the motorcycle with loud pipes that he never uses to the place in the city were folks with similar bikes like to rip around and make as much noise as they can. It's gotten so bad the VPD has directed enforcement there.

By coincidence he finds what he describes as the "zealot" police officer and he wins himself a ticket. The then wraps himself in the flag of a freedom loving motorcyclist and he runs it all the way up the Supreme Court loosing all the way.

He bets it all, he looses it all, and he fucks the rest of us. And then after he's done that he drops in here to drum up some support but he finds in non-existent. What else could go wrong for him?

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
He bets it all, he looses it all, and he fucks the rest of us. And then after he's done that he drops in here to drum up some support but he finds in non-existent. What else could go wrong for him?
what else could go wrong:

How about all the enforcement on motorcycle parking right after the council presentation that went south pretty fast? Look at what it did.

thanks alot.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
This whole deal is a stinking pile of bullshit and it is my business because when wankers go out with an agenda that backfires and the ripples go out over the province it affects me. It is my business.

Every show off twat who crashes and raises the risk of insuring a motorcycle makes my insurance more expensive.

Every moron who draws attention to the fact a motorcycle will triple the current speed limit.

Every jackass who kills himself in what would have been a minor get off and pushes the need for more restrictions.

Let's look at the current agenda.

By coincidence we have a fellow who claims he doesn't like loud pipes but he winds up with a bike and exhaust system that can only gracefully called stupidly loud. He assures us he never turns up the throttle though so you can hear the pipes; he just wants to posses them.

By coincidence he's buddy buddy with BCCOM, the support group for folks who happen to live and die by several outdated and unrealistic credos. Things that were debunked in the 70's.

By coincidence he takes the motorcycle with loud pipes that he never uses to the place in the city were folks with similar bikes like to rip around and make as much noise as they can. It's gotten so bad the VPD has directed enforcement there.

By coincidence he finds what he describes as the "zealot" police officer and he wins himself a ticket. The then wraps himself in the flag of a freedom loving motorcyclist and he runs it all the way up the Supreme Court loosing all the way.

You are uninformed.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Just because you're offended you think you can enforce your opinion on others? Yikes.

I just suppose some people are more righter than others. Except, the trouble really starts to brew when common opinion begins to stomp on something close and dear to your heart.

"Want to go outside!? Well you'd better wear your walking helmet!"
Advertising Transport Public space Street Pedestrian

Wear your walking helmet!

·
countdown to next crash..
2,658 Posts
You are uninformed.
this doesn't really give us anything to go on as far as the discussion. You can see everyone here posting has a pretty strong opinion, either way. To tell us we're uninformed without adding this knowledge that would change our view of the situation doesn't add anything to the conversation. I know it's not likely your intent, but if anything all it does is provoke.

·
BannedSpammer
3,339 Posts
this doesn't really give us anything to go on as far as the discussion. You can see everyone here posting has a pretty strong opinion, either way. To tell us we're uninformed without adding this knowledge that would change our view of the situation doesn't add anything to the conversation. I know it's not likely your intent, but if anything all it does is provoke.

^This.

It just sounds condescending to say nothing but that.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
"By coincidence he's buddy buddy with BCCOM, the support group for folks who happen to live and die by several outdated and unrealistic credos. Things that were debunked in the 70's."

I get tired of looking at stuff like this. There is a thread on it in the Open forum as well.

·
countdown to next crash..
2,658 Posts
Ah, I thought you were commenting on our opinions of the current topic, I didn't see it referring to that quote. Fair enough.
"By coincidence he's buddy buddy with BCCOM, the support group for folks who happen to live and die by several outdated and unrealistic credos. Things that were debunked in the 70's."

I get tired of looking at stuff like this. There is a thread on it in the Open forum as well.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Just because you're offended you think you can enforce your opinion on others? Yikes.

I just suppose some people are more righter than others. Except, the trouble really starts to brew when common opinion begins to stomp on something close and dear to your heart.

"Want to go outside!? Well you'd better wear your walking helmet!"
It's not about "righter", and more about the rights of the many vs the rights of a few. Your right to make a lot of noise vs many people's right for quiet. That's what modern society is about. There are behaviours that the common opinion do not want propagated - hence these are "crimes" - the right of the thief to make a living however s/he chooses vs your right to your property.

If you want to be part of society you have to accept that there are rules. Otherwise you are more than welcome to live on your own in the middle to no where and do whatever you please.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
Yes, the pipes were not stock, they were Screamin' Eagle and the bike was a V-Rod. If you know the pipes and the bike, you know the pipes are not Vance and Hines and the bike (water cooled Porsche design) is quieter than the proverbial air cooled HD knucklehead. Yes, you can ride the bike without pissing people off.

A couple of you made comments to suggest that I deserved the ticket just because I had pipes that weren't stock. Plain stupid. Let me see if I understand this... you think that it's ok to issue penalty points (meant to allow the OSMV to prevent risky drivers from driving) for the act of installing aftermarket pipes? Is that what you are saying?

The issue, which some of you are oblivious to, is the burden of proof is too low for law enforcement, which has too much power and they can ruin your weekend (or your life). In my book, if you get a ticket ... you don't deserve it, you fight it... and if you're going to fight it, you do it right ... end of story. That's what I did. All the way to the top.

You win some you lose some. I've won before, and it's satisfying, but I lost this time. Bad issue for sure and certainly not something one wants to be made public when trying to push for more bike parking. For that, I sincerely apologize to the supporters of the motorcycle parking work.

If some of you would devote half as much time as you do trolling and bashing, to standing up for yourselves and other bikers as you do behind the screen, we might have a Province which was not being bullied by the pussies that it is right now.

·
Mortgage Pimp
9,195 Posts
Think about it this way guys. If you had a cop stop you because you own a bike that's capable of speeding. He says you were speeding, but didn't use laser/radar or anything, just his "opinion" you were speeding. You're then ticketed. Would you not be pissed?

I'm also a guy that had a bike with REALLY loud pipes. I short shifted in the city, never revved it up to be annoying, guys I rode with can validate this. When we were on the open road I let her rip, but never past houses or in urban areas. I still don't like loud pipes, I don't think they save lives and I wouldn't buy them to put on a bike (mine came with them).

You guys are all high and mighty, but just wait until you're on the receiving end of a cop playing judge, jury and executioner. It happens with our impound laws right now. I once had a cop stop us when we were on a leisurely ride and threatened to impound my bike because he "knew" the exhaust was too loud. No proof, just some grumpy bastard thinking his ears were tuned to hear 91 db perfectly.

My disclaimer. As mentioned, I had a bike with loud pipes. I never rode it through downtown because I didn't want a ticket, and I just didn't really ride in the city, I'm a tourer. But most of my time is spent between a Condo on Cambie bridge, and my house just off alta lake road in Whistler. The ONLY noise I heard at those two places are harley's and sportbikes gunning it. The bridge is a douchebag magnet, and my house here in Whistler is near a stop sign where EVERY bike revs like fucking crazy when they go through it. I Hate it... hate it hate it hate it. But you know what I hate more? Our police targeting these guys with nothing but their highly trained ears. It's just noise. Control your emotions guys, stop trying to have the government and police control them for you.

Having a dick doesn't make you a rapist.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
"You guys are all high and mighty, but just wait until you're on the receiving end of a cop playing judge, jury and executioner. It happens with our impound laws right now. I once had a cop stop us when we were on a leisurely ride and threatened to impound my bike because he "knew" the exhaust was too loud. No proof, just some grumpy bastard thinking his ears were tuned to hear 91 db perfectly. "

You hit the nail on the head. Police in BC have way too much power and the courts are already accepting subjective speeding evidence without any objective corroborative evidence.
Just over a year ago, I was driving a lone vehicle on Hwy 99, heading into Whistler Village late at night in a 60 kph zone when an RCMP cruiser rounded a corner 200 meters in front of me in the pitch black. The emergency lights went on before she passed me and she made a U turn to pull me over before I had even completed the 200 meters. It was obvious to me she was on a fishing trip, as she asked me if I'd been drinking. Then, satisfied that I was not impaired, she produced a ticket for 80 k in a 60 k zone and told me she was citing me for speeding. When I asked her for corroborative proof of her charge (I knew she didn't have it because I was not speeding), she told me, no surprise, there was none. Funny that she had no objective evidence, as nearly all RCMP cruisers are equipped with RADAR.

The courts now are accepting this evidence. Police officers are obligated to seize vehicles on a "charge" of excessive speed and the OSMV can now seize vehicles and sell them at auction without the owner ever receiving a criminal conviction.

Get your collective heads out of the sand. Have a nice day.

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
Let me see if I understand this... you think that it's ok to issue penalty points (meant to allow the OSMV to prevent risky drivers from driving) for the act of installing aftermarket pipes? Is that what you are saying?
Driving is a privilege, not a right. If your're driving around like a douchebag, making excess noise, stunting on the road, speeding, acting recklessly, or not paying attention, you'll garner points. Which offences earn you points, and how many, are set by public poicy. If you gather enough, you'll come to the attention of OSMV for "Driver Improvement", by which they mean you'll have to demonstrate to them you won't act like such a twat in the future.

People flipping hate loud pipes. They're completely unnecessary, and annoy the crap out of people, so yes, I fully support points for going out of your way to modify your bike in that way, as you still don't seem to think there's anything wrong with doing so. It might be the only way to get someone like you to smarten up.

As to LEO discretion to enforce, that's the Canadian way if you haven't figured it out yet. Lots of our laws have a very subjective component to their enforcement, and have for generations. You are certainly entitled to go and protest the officer's judgment, but the vast majority of LEO's in my experience are careful to back up their roadside judgements with something more solid than a whim, such as training courses for speed estimation, and in this case a decibel meter.

41 - 60 of 252 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.