BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I guess my luck ran out yesterday........while stopped at a light the lady behind me in her shiny new VW wagon decides to crash-test it against my SUV's rear bumper......did i ever get rocked.....am sore today though the headache is gone. Her excuse> was reaching for my cell-phone and looked down for a sec:rtfm ....pretty fookin' expensive sec. for her.......good thing cuz of my bike's "leave enuff space" rule, did not hit the car in frt of me. Scary though if i think about it ..what if it wus me on the bike and right up against the car in frt......bye bye vinnie....funny how much a new VW will crumple up, the frt end was about 50% pushed back up to the engine block.

·
Registered
11,614 Posts
Shitty deal. Hope you heal completely.

·
Happy Camper
2,698 Posts
I don't think your luck ran out. I think you got pretty lucky. Could have been a lot worse, like you pointed out. Being a clean rear-ender, it's 100% their fault, no witnesses required. Again, lucky.
Time to get a lawyer so you don't end your lucky streak by dealing with ICBC.

R

·
0 Posts
yeah, your luck running out would be if you were on your bike soaring through the air..

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thrills said:
too bad you didnt have one of these on!

:laughing
:laughing ...yeah wus thinking about that, me posting about the jackets in the morning and having the accident in the afternoon...sumone up there mebbe has got an eye on me:eek ....another thing bugging me is how come the airbags did not deploy...the impact was severe enuff and the freakin thing (my SUV ) has got about 6 of them up frt...no sensor in the back?

·
Registered
589 Posts
I'm fairly certain they are only deployed from impacts on that particular area of the vehicle. ie. front bags - front impact, side bags - side impact.

but i could be wrong.

·
Mmm...beer
2,144 Posts
As said above, could have been alot worse. Glad to hear you're ok.

·
Gear Driven Cams
4,411 Posts
1. Go see a doctor, even to a walk-in clinic if you don't have a family doctor.
2. Get him to record what pains you have ASAP.
3. Don't sign anything from ICBC that says you are not injured. Read your "claim statement" carefully after the adjuster types it up for you.

I was surprised when I took my car in after getting hit in the parking lot (me sitting in the car, not moving, and a crackhead in a stolen car rams my bumper and takes off), the adjuster was writing up my statement and discussing it with me. Just before the end, she types in "I was not injured in this accident" as part of my statement, doesn't mention it, we keep discussing other aspects, and at the end of discussion prints a copy for me to sign. I had her change the statement to "I do not know if I was injured in this accident" before I would sign it. She wasn't pleased.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thx for the comments guys.......yeah i hear ya loud and clear bout ICBC...am a little stiff on the right side today. Had to go hosp. yesterday anyways. As for the writing on the jackets you think thats bad?......shud have seen the
"yellow Corn" and the "Simpson" leathers! To put in perspective they think Banff n "Rrockie montain" is in "Carifornia"

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
you are not getting any monies from ICBC unless you get a lawyer.

2 years back guy rearended me. 300 dollars damage to my car, his firebird end totally crumbled up, but drivable.

I got a bad whiplash and frozen back that all kicked in about 30 minutes after the accident. Doc sent me to massage therapists that ICBC paid for, as they acknowledged my inujuries and all, but said they would not pay out nothing extra. I was actually kinda glad, since the guy who rearended me seemed nice enough, its good that he could pay shit out.

I was told by a few people working at ICBC that one call from the lawyer is all ICBC needs to make you a cash offer. Now, I was not really interested in that, just my massage therapies being covered since I could barelly move for 2 weeks.

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
Vili said:
That's a bit inflammatory, and IMHO untrue. I once got offered a settlement that was almost three times what I was expecting, it was ICBC's first offer and no lawyer was involved.

My approach... in any situation, including tickets, faulty merchandise, bad customer service, and ICBC, is to start out playing nice, and be clear on what you want. If, after that, you're getting messed about, then take it to the next level. Personally, I very rarely have to escalate.

So see a doctor, document everything, talk to ICBC, and if you're not getting what you want then get a lawyer involved.

·
Registered
2,590 Posts
Squint,

I agree 100%! ICBC has been very fair to me with my accident, no lawyer involved, and starting out playing nice etc.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Vili said:

2 years back guy rearended me. 300 dollars damage to my car, his firebird end totally crumbled up, but drivable.

I got a bad whiplash and frozen back that all kicked in about 30 minutes after the accident. Doc sent me to massage therapists that ICBC paid for, as they acknowledged my inujuries and all, but said they would not pay out nothing extra. I was actually kinda glad, since the guy who rearended me seemed nice enough, its good that he could pay shit out.

I was told by a few people working at ICBC that one call from the lawyer is all ICBC needs to make you a cash offer. Now, I was not really interested in that, just my massage therapies being covered since I could barelly move for 2 weeks.
Wow. Dejavue. ICBC told me the only way to get my $ 300 medical bill paid was to sue them. I said I'm not interested in suing, just wanted my bills paid and I was happy. They said "no", they don't pay for medical bills. And I was the guy that got rearended. Got a lawyer, went to court and the judge tore a strip off of the ICBC lawyer. And they paid out lots more money than the $ 300 medical bill. It sucks to be a legit victim these days.

·
Gear Driven Cams
4,411 Posts
Vili said:
Bull.

I've discussed my settlement from ICBC after getting rear-ended with two lawyers (family friends). Both agreed that my settlement is probably within 10-15% of what a lawyer would have achieved for me. And I didn't have to pay one at the end of the day.

If you're willing to do your own legwork, you *can* get an appropriate settlement, without a lawyer, from ICBC.

I had to move very carefully for 4 months.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Wait ... depends how bad your accident was ... if its under 3k damage on the cars, and no broken bones or blood, you are probably SOL. (my was under 3k)

If it is a major accident, you can get much more than their initial offer.

W

·
0 Posts
I still can't believe why traffic laws allow people to use cell phones will driving in Canada, the country that normally takes safety so seriously.
I know its going to be difficult to change attitudes but hands free kits allow you to keep both hands on the steering wheel and eyes in front as most European countries allow. Simply banning all cell phone use while driving is going to be difficult.
People driving while holding a phone to their ear are a danger to those of us on two wheels.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts