BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my first bike not tool long ago, and I'm hoping you guys can offer some basic maintenance advice. You know... things I should keep an eye on, check regularly or get checked. I'd like to do as much as I can myself...good learning....so any tips or references would be so appreciated!:)

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The minimum you should do is:
Check/ Adjust and lube chain often.
Check brake fluid level and brake lines and calipers for leaks.
Check tire condition and pressure every couple of rides.
Adjust ALL controle levers for proper ergonomic placement for your body size.
You'll learn more as you ride but this is a basic starting point.

Oh yah... Buy a service manual, worth thier weight in gold.
:rider

·
[Oo=vw=oO]
761 Posts
I knew someone who went by the name "Ninja Boy" in high school but it wasn't related to bikes :D

Check your oil level too.

·
Premium Member
11,195 Posts
If the bike is a little older then I'd get the brake fluid flushed through with some new stuff. Use a fresh bottle and the right grade for your bike.

Check the brake pads for thickness. Fork oil should be replaced if older than 3 or 4 years.

And how old are your tires?

If it's new (er) then you can just have a full service and valve inspection/adjustment done and go ride.

PS; Ah I didn't read Stickybuns' post well enough. He hit 'em all. :thumbup

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Great Info:D Thanks guys!

Service Manual:confused Bike specific?--I have that. if not, pls elaborate...

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Service Manual Bike specific?--I have that. if not, pls elaborate
Yeah a service manual for your bike will have all the recommended maintenance, plus instruction on how to carry it all out.. i think they run around $45 but well worth it. Most bike shops carry them or can order em in.

Its not the owners manual if thats what you are thinkin. Its strickly for servicing and repairing your bike,.. The only two I can think of are made by Haynes and Clymer, either or will have what you need.

Hope that clarifies a bit.

·
glowing ghostie!
3,112 Posts
dknite said:

...Its not the owners manual if thats what you are thinkin. Its strickly for servicing and repairing your bike,.. The only two I can think of are made by Haynes and Clymer, either or will have what you need.

You should be able to get the official manufacturer's service manual as well. Like dknite says, this is NOT the owner's manual. This is way more detailed and will show you how to strip everything apart, fix it, measure it, and put it back together.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
or you could just get one of a dozen or more guys from here that are perfectly willing to help you do your maintenance.

·
Premium Member
11,195 Posts
doug said:
or you could just get one of a dozen or more guys from here that are perfectly willing to help you do your maintenance.
Watta' bunch o' sucks. One po' little femme fatale comes along and you're all ready to give up yer time in the faint hope of a smile of reward. Just like a bunch of puppies rolling over on their backs....

But that's probably just the married man's envy talking.....:D

:laughing

·
are you following me ?
42 Posts
hey, there's a few of us from Coquitlam out here... if ya ever wanna do some local rides, gimme a shout :thumbup

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
NINJA GIRL said:
That's what I'm talkin' about!:thumbup

Thanks!

lol, just take care that their eyes aren't too filled with "puppy love" that they lube your chain with brake fluid....:D:D:D:D, you got nothing to worry about, 400 mechanics on this website now....

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
GTI said:
I knew someone who went by the name "Ninja Boy" in high school but it wasn't related to bikes :D

Check your oil level too.
Hey, I knew a ninja boy too. Did you go to school in North Van?

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
you guys probably know each other, i mean there aren't too many people out there with a nickname, "Ninja Boy"....

by the way, there is a comic that has that name but has nothing to do with sportbikes, just ninjas. :D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts