BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Ride the winds of change
1,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
For those who have an interest in learning new routes down to Whidbey island.

Date: Sunday May 7

Time: 9:00 am

Meet: Campbell river store at 176th and 8th just before the truck crossing.

Since I want to show people new routes Newbies are welcome.

Route and Road conditions:

Cross the boarder over the truck crossing. Head down the I-5 to the Fair Haven exit and on to Chuckanut drive. (Chuckanut is a very twisty narrow road running along the inlet. The last corner heading south is very tight and should be ridden with caution.)
The road straightens out and leads into farm land. At Edison we will make a right on to Bayview- Edison road twisting through the farm land and along the Bay. (The corners are full of gravel). We will pop out at Whitney on to Hwy 20 (You will see a Shell gas station) just before the large bridge going towards Anacortes. Making a left towards Whidbey Island we will pass over the scenic Deception Pass. Here we will start taking the back roads heading along the ocean. I will show the group two ways of getting to the Keystone Ferry which heads over to Port Townsend on the Olympic Penninsula. The group will head down the island and back to Couperville for lunch. Head back the same way we came towards the boarder.

Bring ID and insurance.

·
Black on black crime
873 Posts
How long is this ride, and if you only have your MST, are you legal in the states?

·
Ride the winds of change
1,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Once I thought about the ride and its challenges I would appreciate if the newbies had at least intermidiate skills. ie riding for at least 1 year. Depending on the response, the ride may be changed to Sunday.

·
Registered
565 Posts
I'd be happy to help out with this ride. I've ridden the route many times including a couple earlier this year. For those who have not ridden Chuckanut, you're in for a treat. I'd prefer Sunday, but I can do Saturday if that's the final plan.

Can I suggest a second meeting place at the Campbell River store/gas station in South Surrey? It's on the east side of 176th st, just south of 8th ave, a few minutes from the truck crossing.

And for those you have not ridden in the States lately, a passport is much better than a BCDL or birth cert for crossing the line. Also, travel insurance is highly recommended.

·
truth seeker
527 Posts
:coffee This sounds great. I have wanted to do some exploring down there and would really be greatful to go with someone who knows the way. If this turns into a Sunday ride it would be even better...have to work Fri and Sat nights late.

Even if you are heading down another time send me a PM. Thanks, Ryan aka Naga.

ps. I am an experienced rider.:coffee

·
Ride the winds of change
1,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok Sunday its !! May 7. I will get Adamantuim to change the heading.

The general store Waterman suggested off 176th is a excellent meeting place.

:lurking

·
truth seeker
527 Posts
scooter said:
Ok Sunday its !! May 7. I will get Adamantuim to change the heading.

The general store Waterman suggested off 176th is a excellent meeting place.

Sounds good I am stoked hope the weather is nice!

·
Three hour tour guide
8,750 Posts
There are some nice roads that a way ... I can't make it but have a good one guys ...

·
Member #899
2,611 Posts
Geez, if it had been Saturday I would have joined you. I always love a ride that someone else knows where they're going... maybe next time.

·
Ride the winds of change
1,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You can't please everyone. Always great when the ladies show up !. I'm sure I will see you sometime this summer Nancy.

·
Ride the winds of change
1,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Naga

It was good putting a face to the name. I've done some good riding so early in the season. April 30 Spences Bridge, Highland Valley road etc. The Highland valley road intimates me, last year I high sided a ZX9R in those dusty conditions. What ever ! I Actually caught out of the corner of my eye Julia's memorial cross coming back to Hope. Just put the sticker on my bike that honours her.

So, the Whidbey island ride on Sunday is going to be a casual affair.
I've noticed in Washington state the residents are very quick to get on the cell phone. When we get to the residential back roads of Whidbey island lets take it easy. I'm going to follow DH 52 WA. page 64. From the bridge over Deception Pass we will make a quick left on to Skagit Bay from Troxell road. Do a loop and get back on Hwy 20. Cut in again on the eastern bay and head towards Couperville. Then head towards the Keystone ferry. (Thanks Silver D for showing me the fast route to the ferry.) Then take my old route back to Hwy 20. After that west side of the island, we will head east then back west down Smugglers cove road. At Langley WA. we will turn around and head back for lunch in Couperville. Its to bad the ride does not start later because the sunsets at Deception Pass are just amazing and Chuckanut drive in the night time is kick ass. Oh! by the way no Jackasses welcome.

·
Registered
11,614 Posts
I am tentatively in for this. My schedule is so hectic these days, I'm unable to firmly commit yet. :)

·
Registered
61 Posts
How do you know the roads on the island so well? Troxel to Jones is my favorite way to my parents house. I grew up on Whidbey!

I'll join you guys if I can, any chance of a stopping point in Bellingham or somewhere else south of the border?

Jason

·
Ride the winds of change
1,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Jason4

If I have a bit more time on a road trip I will avoid the interstate and take the back roads over to the Hood canal. The reason I'm doing this ride is to spread my knowledge of what I have been shown by other passionate riders.
Maybe some day I will get to show people a great back road route down to Oregon running adjacent to the I-5 in WA. I usaully head down the middle of Whidbey island to the Keystone ferry when I had a friend take me for lunch in Couperville this year, what a cool little village on the Bay. The other roads besides the ones entering and leaving the Keystone Ferry are from Destinations Highways WA. book. I figure its very hard to get lost on such a small island.

We could meet you at one of the Gas stations off of the Fairhaven exit just off the I-5. Theres an Exxon station we could look for you PM me of what bike you will ride. I figure around 10 am we would be arriving there.

Remember this ride is on Sunday May 7.

·
Registered
565 Posts
So it looks like 4 or 5 of us? Can you confirm 9 am meeting at Campbell River store? BCTV says periods of rain Sunday. :surrender

·
Still defying gravity...
2,853 Posts
scooter said:
Oh! by the way no Jackasses welcome.
Well, on behalf of Jackasses everywhere, I am offended :laughing

j/k, I have family crap that will keep me in town on Sunday, but I look forward to joining you guys next time. It must be about time for the first rip to Winthrop sometime soon... have fun and please post up a report.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts