BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
A quick update for you riders in Vancouver seeing as spring is nearly here. By now you've noticed we've got approx 300 spaces (for multiple MCs) designated for MCs just after intersections throughout the city. However, further space is a challenge. We've been told by a city official that a change in the BC Motor Vehicle Act to permit parking at the end of a block (just before crosswalks) on city streets would be supported.

So we've met with Transportation Minister Mary Polak on two occasions and the ball is currently rolling to get the change made. We are not going to do a rally this year; rather we are going to work with the city to get more spaces and show them the pricing needs adjusting.

In the meantime, what you can do to support the effort is continue to spread the word, get your friends to go to the http://www.mcparking.ca/ website and enter their email addresses so we can keep in touch. You can join the conversation with the FB group here and follow us on Twitter @mcparking. Write council and keep up the good work!

·
Registered
8,222 Posts
Am I the only one who thought this was going to be somehow related to McDonalds?

·
Registered
695 Posts
Make no mistake this is to accommodate the electric scooter crowd not us hooligans. So many times I've looked to park at designated MC spots and there half full of electric scooters. When I go to my massage therapist the MC spot close by has one permanently parked there.

·
Registered
151 Posts
good news about parking. i was at both previous parking rallys. As for scooters in the motorcycle designated spots. I have been noticing they like to park parallel to the curb! wtf, back it in you nimrods so others can use the spot. Also noticing more cagers filling the MC spots of late. So if a cager is in a mc spot can we tip it over for revenge since they like to knock over bikes sharing a car spot? :)

·
Registered
977 Posts
good news about parking. i was at both previous parking rallys. As for scooters in the motorcycle designated spots. I have been noticing they like to park parallel to the curb! wtf, back it in you nimrods so others can use the spot. Also noticing more cagers filling the MC spots of late. So if a cager is in a mc spot can we tip it over for revenge since they like to knock over bikes sharing a car spot? :)
Good news regarding parking! The fact that we don't have to rally sounds like the ice has been broken. (I have seen cars getting ticketed for cutting into the MC parking. It was satisfying to watch.)

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
A quick update for you riders in Vancouver seeing as spring is nearly here. By now you've noticed we've got approx 300 spaces (for multiple MCs) designated for MCs just after intersections throughout the city. However, further space is a challenge. We've been told by a city official that a change in the BC Motor Vehicle Act to permit parking at the end of a block (just before crosswalks) on city streets would be supported.

So we've met with Transportation Minister Mary Polak on two occasions and the ball is currently rolling to get the change made. We are not going to do a rally this year; rather we are going to work with the city to get more spaces and show them the pricing needs adjusting.

In the meantime, what you can do to support the effort is continue to spread the word, get your friends to go to the http://www.mcparking.ca/ website and enter their email addresses so we can keep in touch. You can join the conversation with the FB group here and follow us on Twitter @mcparking. Write council and keep up the good work!
Great job Ian and group, progress is always slow but it is progress!

·
Fonz Be With You
699 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
shhh those are secret spots! I'm so sad that there are not more free ones Downtown. It wouldn't hurt to take out 2 or 3 more car spots around the core area to accomodate 6 - 9 more motorcycles :|

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Secret spots

shhh those are secret spots! I'm so sad that there are not more free ones Downtown. It wouldn't hurt to take out 2 or 3 more car spots around the core area to accomodate 6 - 9 more motorcycles :|
There's no need to take our car spots as there is plenty of parking available. Unused space just needs to be allocated intelligently and efficiently. For instance, the ends of blocks will work fine in addition to beginningof blocks. In Toronto and other cities sidewalk parking is permitted. There's no reason it couldn't be in Vancouver also.

·
Registered
19 Posts
There's no need to take our car spots as there is plenty of parking available. Unused space just needs to be allocated intelligently and efficiently. For instance, the ends of blocks will work fine in addition to beginningof blocks. In Toronto and other cities sidewalk parking is permitted. There's no reason it couldn't be in Vancouver also.
No need to go all the way to Toronto for examples - Burnaby (along Hastings, Willingdon) has end of block MC parking - excluding rush hour of course

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
That happened because of the BC Coalition of Motorcyclists and Mayor Derek Corrigan, did not happen by itself.

·
Poser Emeritus
2,729 Posts
That happened because of the BC Coalition of Motorcyclists and Mayor Derek Corrigan, did not happen by itself.
How many spots, where are they, and when did it happen ?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts