BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Announced moments ago by Minister Todd Stone (p 19):

http://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/DownloadAsset?assetId=6BDC5827613C454E81820AE9792CCB72&filename=bconthemove.pdf

Enable municipalities to allow
motorcycle parking near intersections
Parking motorcycles in municipalities is challenging.
A motorcycle occupying a single vehicle stall is not
efficient and can be unsafe. We have heard that the
unused spaces near intersections could be used by
motorcyclists to park, though municipalities need the
means to enable this.

·
Registered
510 Posts
they could have started by not spending however many millions of dollars over the past 3 years putting meters and shuffling around the free scooter/motorcycle spots they already had in place, that now sit empty 9 times out of 10, instead of totally full when they were free. Just another example of why people should vote no in this dumb transit referendum. The city assumes they can squeeze everyone for just a little more, when instead of having a little perspective on reducing emissions and congestion by encouraging scooters/motorcycles, they spend more to meter them, and they sit empty.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I thought this topic would be about parking at McDonald's.

Just park between cars. One City of Vancouver bylaw officer said if a bike is half in one spot and half in another, and as long as one of the spots are paid for, they're not going to ticket the bike. Not sure about other municipalities.

·
Three hour tour guide
8,750 Posts
I thought this topic would be about parking at McDonald's.

Just park between cars. One City of Vancouver bylaw officer said if a bike is half in one spot and half in another, and as long as one of the spots are paid for, they're not going to ticket the bike. Not sure about other municipalities.
Yeah I thought is was about Mickey Dees as well :laughing
...but I would never park between two cars, you're just asking to get the bike smucked by the car trying to get out of his spot which you are taking up space in..

·
Ridin hard n dirty
4,080 Posts
I just noticed in port coquitlam they had a sign "two wheel vehicles only" on the main street...

·
lover of twins
6,078 Posts
they could have started by not spending however many millions of dollars over the past 3 years putting meters and shuffling around the free scooter/motorcycle spots they already had in place, that now sit empty 9 times out of 10, instead of totally full when they were free. Just another example of why people should vote no in this dumb transit referendum. The city assumes they can squeeze everyone for just a little more, when instead of having a little perspective on reducing emissions and congestion by encouraging scooters/motorcycles, they spend more to meter them, and they sit empty.
clearly you do not understand the issues at hand. m/c parking within vancouver proper has nothing to do with the transit referendum.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Yeah I thought is was about Mickey Dees as well :laughing
...but I would never park between two cars, you're just asking to get the bike smucked by the car trying to get out of his spot which you are taking up space in..
I thought about that. But when I park between two cars, it's usually to run to the bank or a store real quick.

I just noticed in port coquitlam they had a sign "two wheel vehicles only" on the main street...
Indeed they do. Very cool, thanks for that.

https://www.google.ca/maps/@49.26358,-122.780385,3a,89.4y,258.24h,72.74t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sLVew3XkQCAzDIiTwdaZ8Bg!2e0

clearly you do not understand the issues at hand. m/c parking within vancouver proper has nothing to do with the transit referendum.
Translink has become a convenient scapegoat for everything. The number of people blaming Translink on the Port Mann Bridge's budget shortfall was astonishing.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The spaces were allocated and the meters were added shortly after for cost recovery. That was a Vision Vancouver brainchild. The process is this: 1) Get the spaces allocated - first we got just after intersections, and soon we will have just before intersections 2) Get pricing that's competitive and to mitigate demand..... that means a LOT LESS THAN TODAY AND FREE.

·
Registered
510 Posts
I'm not saying the two are directly related, but little things like encouraging two wheeled transportation within vancouver and other municipalities through fast lanes, free parking etc can have a long term effect on congestion, which is one of the main reasons, supposedly, for this referendum.

Also, i parked in one of the free spots for the better part of a year, along with almost a dozen other motorcycles, before the city got around to adding a meter. Now it sits empty for the better part of the day. Meanwhile, there are still a few free spots in the downtown core, unmetered, scattered and getting used.

·
lover of twins
6,078 Posts
I'm not saying the two are directly related, but little things like encouraging two wheeled transportation within vancouver and other municipalities through fast lanes, free parking etc can have a long term effect on congestion, which is one of the main reasons, supposedly, for this referendum.
promoting two wheeled transportation may very well be a good thing and should be included as part of a comprehensive transit plan, but the parking issues brought up here are a COV issue and not connected to the transit plan. however, the transit plan does include provisions for bicycle transportation. i simply don't see how you can say the COV's stance on motorcycle parking in the DT core is part of a reason to vote no.

·
must have more bacon
5,434 Posts
McDonald's has plenty of parking , why does the government care, i am voting for no more parking at mcdonalds

·
Registered
510 Posts
promoting two wheeled transportation may very well be a good thing and should be included as part of a comprehensive transit plan, but the parking issues brought up here are a COV issue and not connected to the transit plan. however, the transit plan does include provisions for bicycle transportation. i simply don't see how you can say the COV's stance on motorcycle parking in the DT core is part of a reason to vote no.
They are shortsighted, plain and simple. Thats the basis for my comparison.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts