BC Sport Bikes Forum banner
21 - 40 of 60 Posts

· Registered
1,862 Posts
JamieJames said:
A lot of places in NA provide electricity with natural gas fired plants which raises the price of electricity - alternative providers of electricity raise their rates to market rates.
Apparently your hydro rate didn't go up, the charge for transmitting it did.
On a side note....if somewhere else has to burn natural gas to make power, WTF should our rates go up? WE own the hydro company!!
(at least for now, when the Campbell camp gets their way and sell it to the Americans, we'll be paying what they do in california for it)

· Born to sweep.
611 Posts
Natural gas is burned in BC to make electricity, right here in Port Moody at Burrard Thermal.

Transmission was not "privatized", it was moved to a Crown Corporation. Hiving off transmission from generation allows new, private, generation to come on line. The idea is to encourage run of river, and other alternative sources of power. Transmission assets remain the property of BC Hydro.

· Still defying gravity...
2,853 Posts
Granny22 said:
If we allow private insurance in to just cherry pick the best or lowest risk drivers and require ICBC to take all the rest, what do you think is going to happen to ICBC rates?
Cherry picking isn't so bad if you are the cherry being picked! My insurance expires next week, so I called Megson this afternoon and I'll save $500 +/- after all the numbers are crunched. And no mention was made by Megson re: dropping coverage for sportbikes, but I do have a clean driving record (Roadstar Gold or whatever they call it) and a Bike Brace on my bike... thereby eliminating the need for an alarm, which I believe is usually a M-F requirement. My :2cents worth, or should I say $500 worth.

· Vindicated
3,465 Posts
3 of 7 said:
Apparently your hydro rate didn't go up, the charge for transmitting it did.
On a side note....if somewhere else has to burn natural gas to make power, WTF should our rates go up? WE own the hydro company!!
(at least for now, when the Campbell camp gets their way and sell it to the Americans, we'll be paying what they do in california for it)
Hydo's been selling to the Yanks long before the Libs came along..

· Registered
1,862 Posts
JamieJames said:
Hydo's been selling to the Yanks long before the Libs came along..
I didn't mean sell the power, we've been doing that for years....I meant sell the corporation...... Once it's private, it wouldn't be long before A multinational owns it

· Registered
1,862 Posts
r1100s said:
Natural gas is burned in BC to make electricity, right here in Port Moody at Burrard Thermal.

Transmission was not "privatized", it was moved to a Crown Corporation. Hiving off transmission from generation allows new, private, generation to come on line. The idea is to encourage run of river, and other alternative sources of power. Transmission assets remain the property of BC Hydro.
OK...I stand corrected.....However, I do believe we are still a net exporter of electricity right? So what's the upside of spinning off the transmission from the generation to us? So we can burn natural gas and tires and wood waste to export more power?

· Member #899
2,613 Posts
I just asked Megson today to quote me for private insurance. I've had my driver's licence for 26 years... no tix and keep bike in a locked garage (which they require - or under cover). They won't insure me because I haven't had my m/c licence for 10 years.

Coast will insure you if you've had your licence for 3 years... My quote from Coast Capital is $546 (incl. $2 mil liability & coverage for $9000)...

If I remember correctly, it will cost me $313 at ICBC for 4 months (what's that for a year... about $900 ) so Coast is still a deal.

· Registered
1,497 Posts
Rumour has it that Coast is going to get out of motorcycle insurance and so is CDI.

The new requirements for MF is 10 years of LICENCED RIDING EXPERIENCE. If you qualify it is definatly worth it.

Rumour also has it that ICBC is going to be splitting your policy. You will get one for basic insurance and a separate policy for optional insurance, this allows them to competitive in optional insurance and able to "cherry pick" as well.

Furthermore don't count on that one plate for multiple bikes either...that doesn't seem to be on ICBC's agenda right now either...

· Born to sweep.
611 Posts
3 of 7 said:
OK...I stand corrected.....However, I do believe we are still a net exporter of electricity right? So what's the upside of spinning off the transmission from the generation to us? So we can burn natural gas and tires and wood waste to export more power?
Good question. Demand for power is nearly exceeding our hydroelectric generation capacity, so we need to build new dams (a no-no in the green age) or new fossil-fueled plants. Rather than require tons of provincial borrowing to build new capacity, the idea is to stimulate the private sector to construct new generation. This way, users pay for the cost of power as it is used, rather than going into hock up front. It also taps the creativity and efficiency of the private sector, which is more likely to try small-scale and innovative generation technologies.

By separating the transmission from generation, BC has created an independant transmission authority that is not partial to favour BC Hydro over other generators. This creates a near-open-market scenario, with the long term goal of meeting BC's electricity needs as efficiently as possible.

Also, it allows for continued export of electricity generated in BC - excess power can be sent south, but generated here, which is good for the economy.

But what I really want is another Crow update 3of7!

· Registered
11,624 Posts
Crap. This was the first year I qualified for MF. Hope that doesn't switch for me next year. :(

· Gear Driven Cams
4,414 Posts
r1100s said:
Well, only during "low water years" when it is needed to supplement the demand. I don't believe it's running currently, in anything other than a maintenance mode. In fact, I seem to recall that some of the turbines there are running as synchronous condensers, storing energy during off-peak times and returning it to the grid during peak times... I didn't think that required any natural gas, but I could be wrong.

· Deer magnet
1,278 Posts
What happens if you already have a policy with Megsan, and just want to renew, but don't meet the ten year licence requirement?

· Premium Member
7,755 Posts
Is Coast Capital going to go the same route? The season after next I should be able to meet the requirements (that would be ten years driving, six years riding) - IF (a big 'if') my driving record qualifies.

G

·
forget private insurance. icbc just needs to correct their rates for certain age groups/number of tickets/etc.

theres no reason that a 16 year old with 5 tickets should be paying exactly the same as i am.

· Registered
181 Posts
Got a slightly different response when I spoke to MF earlier today. It seems that they will not cover newer sportbikes, e.g. 2000+ models. However, earlier models will be delt with on a case by case basis. The rep indicated that I should be able to renew my bike.

· Member #899
2,613 Posts
Hmmmmnnnn, Hanif - that's interesting. I guess it depends upon who you talk to. They told me flat out that I had to have had my m/c licence for 10 years - didn't mention anything about the sportbike (although they did say that the "10 year" policy was specific for sportbikes - which I assumed meant that cruiser riders could probably insure with less experience on their m/c).

· Registered
181 Posts
Squire said:
Hmmmmnnnn, Hanif - that's interesting. I guess it depends upon who you talk to. They told me flat out that I had to have had my m/c licence for 10 years - didn't mention anything about the sportbike (although they did say that the "10 year" policy was specific for sportbikes - which I assumed meant that cruiser riders could probably insure with less experience on their m/c).
I was salivating over a 2001 ZX9R and had phoned to find out the increase in rates as well as future insurability. Until my current policy runs out I would have to pay $9 more to get coverage for the 9R!!! But once my current policy runs they would not insure it. As for the F3, he was confident that the coverage could continue.

· Registered
1,862 Posts
Vertigo said:
forget private insurance. icbc just needs to correct their rates for certain age groups/number of tickets/etc.

theres no reason that a 16 year old with 5 tickets should be paying exactly the same as i am.
A 16 year old with 5 tickets is gonna pay a shitload more than I do....no 40% discount and 5 tickets is going to cost him big time too....anyone know what 15 pts costs?

21 - 40 of 60 Posts