BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Microsoft changes OEM license, forcing new purchases after motherboard upgrade
From Wikinews, the free news source you can write!

February 21, 2006

Microsoft has recently made changes to the Windows license agreement, saying that “An upgrade of the motherboard is considered to result in a new personal computer to which Microsoft OEM operating system software cannot be transferred from another computer."

This will force users who upgrade their motherboard, even via the OEM, to purchase a new license agreement. The only exception is a defect for which the OEM replaces the motherboard.

Microsoft claims it needs to have "one base component left standing that would still define that original PC. Since the motherboard contains the CPU and is the heart and soul of the PC, when the motherboard is replaced (for reasons other than defect) a new PC is essentially created.”

Microsoft has asked its OEM partners to begin enforcing the new policy when they upgrade clients computers.

D

·
0 Posts
oem licenses were usually non transferrable anyways. they had to stay with the computer and couldn't be sold. you couldn't even use the license on another machine within your company.

·
I am the liquor
798 Posts
This is something you are going to start seeing more and more in software, done poorly by some (like Microsoft), and done better by others (I hope).

I write software for a company that does exactly this, enforcing licenses on individual PC's. Our algorithm for determining the PC owner is based on more than just the motherboard though. It takes into account about a dozen pieces of hardware over time and requires a license change if more that 3 components are changed within a certain period of time. It also allows for the software publisher to give extra licenses to people that call support and explain their situation.

I afraid this is the future of software licensing. But that doesn't mean the cracking will stop any time soon. :)

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
ahh, the beauty of volume licensing keys. If you didn't already know, most companies over a reasonable size just use one key. This really only effects small business's and the home customer.

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
Well, as you know, Micro$oft is a bit short of cash.
What's Windows cost anyway? Not because I stole mine, I'm a loyal Mac user.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Two options if you want to save a buck and save hassles.

Pirate Xp corporate edition. You will not be able to update it though and worry about MS tracking you down and sending you to the big house.

Use linux. Free and open source.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
I thought Windows was freeware?

oldgixxer said:
In a perfect world this would be great. :)
To bad its not that feasable of an option for most people as there is alot of software not available for linux, and drivers can become an issue. Its getting better though. :)

Ryan

D

·
0 Posts
stupid thing is, most businesses buy bulk machines from a supplier with windows already installed. then they have a site license for their volume installs. and if they are a software company, they have msdn licenses on top.

so for one computer, they've paid for 3 licenses. depending on the structure of the company, they could be paying for more too.

·
Registered
11,614 Posts
Another reason I'm glad I play on Macs. :D

·
rain? whats that!
5,834 Posts
Win2k for me still.....works great. I have a licenced XP sitting on shelf unused still.

But really, what percentage of the average North American PC end users at home upgrade their motherboard?
Im willing to bet most users just buy a new machine.

But, MS will find any way to get more control it can.

D

·
0 Posts
leevi, problem is.. 2k is EOL. no patches for it in the pipe. only critical security fixes, and those are not priority.

the upcoming IE7 won't run on it either. most products will be written with xp and vista in mind.

ms has a built in revenue stream simply by obsoleting their old software.

·
rain? whats that!
5,834 Posts
Thats one of the reasons why I have moved away from MS applications as much as possible.

I dont need the latest and greatest, I want simplicity and proven reliability.

Even MS acknowledges that 2K has reached "..a point of maturity.." where bugs and problems simply arent that numerous anymore after SP4. My 2k PC has been running stable for the last year.

When XP reaches that point (probably soon), I will install it in my next machine. Otherwise, I will let others deal with the update headaches and issues. Id rather have a stable machine.

·
... as in "off my bike?"
397 Posts
oldgixxer said:
Two options if you want to save a buck and save hassles.

Pirate Xp corporate edition. You will not be able to update it though and worry about MS tracking you down and sending you to the big house.

Corporate Edition is a bit of a misnomer. It doesn't really exist. Any of the business editions of Windows (XP Pro, various 2003 Server editions, etc.) have a VLA (Volume Licensing Agreement) version, which have wrongly been called Corporate Editions by some circles.

As long as you use a valid key with said version, and not a pirated key or crack of any sort, updates will run fine. And of course no activation required, the whole point of a VLA. :)

·
Gear Driven Cams
4,411 Posts
Gawd said:
To bad its not that feasable of an option for most people as there is alot of software not available for linux, and drivers can become an issue. Its getting better though. :)
You must be thinking of Linux from 5 years ago. I agree that's exactly what it was like then. But Linux has come a long way since then, you'd be hard pressed to find commonly-used hardware that didn't work under Linux nowdays.

·
I'm back
1,947 Posts
If they sold it for a reasonable price I'd have no problem buying a new copy every couple years. I know thats not going to happen so I'll just have to continue going with the pirated crap and do without all but critical updates.

M

·
0 Posts
just wait until Vista is released. Theres going to be between 8 and 20 different versions! (the 20 might be accounting for special european versions that are the same as the NA versions, just without media player.)
I hope that someone steals the XP source code. Linux would be completely compatible within weeks, possibly days.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Spike said:
You must be thinking of Linux from 5 years ago. I agree that's exactly what it was like then. But Linux has come a long way since then, you'd be hard pressed to find commonly-used hardware that didn't work under Linux nowdays.
Yes, but what about the uncommon hardware?

Also, im talking more about software, you still dont have as wide a variety as you do with windows.

Ryan

·
Worst. Passenger. Ever.
943 Posts
Quasi said:
If they sold it for a reasonable price I'd have no problem buying a new copy every couple years. I know thats not going to happen so I'll just have to continue going with the pirated crap and do without all but critical updates.
The Win9x/2k -> XP Home upgrade was around 99$. Think Pro was 199$. It'll be about 5 years between the release of XP and Vista. Is 200$ over 5 years not considered a reasonable price?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts