BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
I've been thinking about picking up a smaller bike, but strictly for track days. Keep the big bike for the street and have the smaller bike for Pitt Meadows and Mission.

·
Registered
518 Posts
I have an r3 for sale. Wink wink, nudge nudge.*

Not listed yet, but will be as soon as the snow melts up here. *

·
Registered
18,851 Posts
I'm of the view that all motorcycles are fun to ride... but you have to accept them for what they are.

Not a big fan of the smaller bikes, mainly because of the limiting suspension out of the box. Sure it's fun to wring their necks, but once you
get into the twisties it's like riding a pool noodle. In that regard, they are dangerous if really pushed to the edge.

All preference I suppose. When it comes to sporting performance - I like a bike that when you twist it to full stick either puts a giant grin on
your face, or terrifies you. My current 600 maybe 100hp or something like that, if you wind the piss out of it you can pass caravans of cars
and trucks without an issue. Not the same way a 200hp 1000cc bike would, but it's still very safe if you pass with "authority" shall we say,
which is often WFO.

I'd love a new 1000cc bike with all the bells and whistles. A new 300, meh.. I have a near new Z650 twin I ride now and then as well and
while it's fun, it certainly a bit of a snail by my standards.

·
track hack
1,992 Posts
For my personal tastes, I think an ideal street bike would be something like an RR version of the current Ninja 400.

- upgraded suspension, similar to a modern 600cc sportbike say with BPF or SF forks from Showa and a fully adjustable shock sprung for a real human.
- keep that 400cc parallel twin (cheap insurance) but really squeeze it so instead of 45hp stock you have 60ish after a pipe and reflash.
- decent brakes - nothing crazy just a slightly better spec than current.
- quickshifter, no other electronics needed.

Add $1500-$2000 to current asking price and for $7500ish you would have a bike I'd buy tomorrow and would bridge the gap from the anemic 300-400's of today to a bike that's more than capable of touring, back road twisty crushing, track time, and commuting - all comfortably.

·
Original Pirate Material
1,063 Posts
For my personal tastes, I think an ideal street bike would be something like an RR version of the current Ninja 400.

- upgraded suspension, similar to a modern 600cc sportbike say with BPF or SF forks from Showa and a fully adjustable shock sprung for a real human.
- keep that 400cc parallel twin (cheap insurance) but really squeeze it so instead of 45hp stock you have 60ish after a pipe and reflash.
- decent brakes - nothing crazy just a slightly better spec than current.
- quickshifter, no other electronics needed.

Add $1500-$2000 to current asking price and for $7500ish you would have a bike I'd buy tomorrow and would bridge the gap from the anemic 300-400's of today to a bike that's more than capable of touring, back road twisty crushing, track time, and commuting - all comfortably.
I may be mistaken, but didn't Honda tease us with a CBR400/250 RR version sometime ago? Perhaps it's only for non-North American markets. Agreed with everything else you've said though, a little bike with proper suspension and chassis would be amazing.

·
track hack
1,992 Posts
I may be mistaken, but didn't Honda tease us with a CBR400/250 RR version sometime ago? Perhaps it's only for non-North American markets. Agreed with everything else you've said though, a little bike with proper suspension and chassis would be amazing.
If Honda would produce that CBR400RR or VFR400RR again in a modern fashion - also possible dream bikes of mine.

Aprilia teased with the RS660 at EICMA this year - not exactly a super small displacement bike but damn near the same weight and a claimed 100rwhp from the 1/2 RSV4 engine in a parallel format - looks gorgeous and if their claims are on point - might be a killer bike as well. Sadly their dealer network is brutal now so it would keep me from buying one unless an Island shop picked them up again.

·
Fastronaut
6,508 Posts
You're not mistaken. Honda Canada had a CBR400RR circulating at the bike shows around the late 90s. I guess they never got the response they wanted so no dice.

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
A pumped-up 400 would be interesting, but it would have to do a lot better than the 7000rpm my Ninja 300 did at 100kph. Not what I'd call appealing for all-day riding.*

The other issue I found with the smaller bikes is that they're smaller; for my height (6'2") it was fine for track but sitting more upright for city riding felt cramped. That alone would have me looking more towards a 650 class bike. But I know how hard it can be for smaller riders to get a bike that fits, so I don't know how it's possible to make a bike for everyone. Seems like larger riders just get larger bikes.*

·
track hack
1,992 Posts
A pumped-up 400 would be interesting, but it would have to do a lot better than the 7000rpm my Ninja 300 did at 100kph. Not what I'd call appealing for all-day riding.*

The other issue I found with the smaller bikes is that they're smaller; for my height (6'2") it was fine for track but sitting more upright for city riding felt cramped. That alone would have me looking more towards a 650 class bike. But I know how hard it can be for smaller riders to get a bike that fits, so I don't know how it's possible to make a bike for everyone. Seems like larger riders just get larger bikes.*
I imagine a 400cc up-spec engine would for sure be at less RPM than the old school 300 model, honestly couldn't guess how much though. I didn't mind it too much, my R3 did the Winthrop trip and back from the Island and it was WAY more comfy than on the same trip I did the year before on my '13 Tuono. I needed a trip to the Chiro after that day for neck treatments.

As for ergo's, I found my R3 had perfect street ergo's combined with great wind protection so it was a super quiet cockpit with loads of legroom (too much in the twisties as the pegs dragged early and often). I haven't ridden a new 400 but reviewers are raving about it's all day comfort and sensible ergo's.

I'm not as tall as you though - 6' and 185lbs so just a tad above average but not huge by any stretch.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Aprilia teased with the RS660 at EICMA this year - not exactly a super small displacement bike but damn near the same weight and a claimed 100rwhp from the 1/2 RSV4 engine in a parallel format - looks gorgeous and if their claims are on point - might be a killer bike as well. .
I really hope that this bike is the game changer that Aprilia needs. There is just no way they can survive based on Tuono/RSV4 sales.

·
Registered
2,921 Posts

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Do you guys consider an SV650 to be a smaller bike? That's what I'd get for a track toy.
nope! had one. had to wring its nuts to stay with guys on litre bikes on backcountry roads, but that was actually a deeply satisfying way to ride, fully engaged. still plenty around tracks too...

suspension is notoriously weak, but there are tons of options for upgrades.

wooden brake feel is harder to overcome...

·
Registered
368 Posts
a nice light twitchy 600 ish twin is probably the best daily/city bike there is.. just no one makes a decent one.

but that's why people buy welders and wrenches.

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
^^^ one of the reasons for the great popularity of the Street Triple, esp in the 'R' or 'RS' form.

·
Registered
368 Posts
^^^ one of the reasons for the great popularity of the Street Triple, esp in the 'R' or 'RS' form.
its what i tried making with my bike.. it is pretty good.. the swingarm slowed it up a bit.. but not really enough to hurt it..

kinda wanna make a street tracker out of an sv650.. seems like the best thing without going to a sm imo.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts