BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Mobil 1 15w50 NO LONGER BEING PRODUCED

Just a thing I found out this morning.
Mobil 1 15w50 is no longer being produced. I am awaiting phone calls back from imperial oil on this matter. I have questions into imperial oil as to what this change in grade of oil is going to do to clutches and the like in motorcycles. I have also been made aware that the 15w50 is being replaced by 5w50. I will keep you all informed as I have info made available to me.
It seems that once I find an oil I like it gets changed to something else. It is rather frusterating

Scott

·
rain? whats that!
5,834 Posts
:eek

Well, as long as it DOESENT have the energy conserving symbol associated with it, 5 W50 will work fine, better in fact if you ride in colder temps.

·
Three hour tour guide
8,750 Posts
The discontinuation of the red cap 15-50 was first rumored a year or so ago as it had dissapeared from the US Mobil website.

I talked to imperial back then and they said they did not know anything about it and as far as they were concerned it was to continue to be a carried product. I was hoping that for Canada it would still be availiable.

However if your source is true then that's too bad, time to stock up before it's all gone...

·
Three hour tour guide
8,750 Posts
REVELATIONS said:
:eek

Well, as long as it DOESENT have the energy conserving symbol associated with it, 5 W50 will work fine, better in fact if you ride in colder temps.
This is true, too bad though as the red cap was a tried and proven product.
But your right theoretically the 5 - 50 should be just as good as you state the most important fact is it *not be energy conserving*......

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have just gotten off the phone with imperial oil. They stongly caution against the use of the 5w50 in motorcycles. This is coming from the technical support guy at imperial esso in Montreal. He has also said that the extended performance mobil oils are not recomended for motorcycles either.
I have also been on the phone with the Mobil distributor in the lower mainland as well today. I have asked for prices on the motorcycle specific oils as well as the 15w50 and the 5w50
All prices are for 6 1 litre jugs
5w50 54.66
15w50 47.16
v twin 88.92 20w50
mx4t 84.47 10w40

·
Three hour tour guide
8,750 Posts
REVELATIONS said:
^ I take it then that the 5-50 will be an energy conserving oil.....
I just went out to see if my local Can tire or Wally World had any 15-50 left but no such luck. The 5-50 does *not* say energy conserving... but .....

WOW 80 some odd bux for the special V Twin stuff, I really wonder what on gods green earth they can do special for a V twin ....

·
Ride Solo
4,214 Posts
The "red cap" 15W50 has been replaced with "gold cap" 15W50 in the States. I have yet to read anything to convince me that it won't work just fine. I doubt that Mobil will recommend the car oils for a bike if they can fleece you with $10+/litre "bike" oil.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
The new gold cap 15/50 came out about a year ago. It, supposedly, contains less moly than the redcap. Check out the VOAs at bobistheoilguy.com.
Mobil does not recommend these oils for bikes. Yes. They want you to pay top dollar for their bike oils.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It's is mostly a joke anyway. I doubt if any of you will own a bike long enough to notice a difference. Go buy a good synthetic if that is what you like, or go get penzoil 10-40 bike oil. I used to pay top dollar for race oil for my two stroke. then I got broker and switched to penzoil 2stroke for air cooled engines. Gave the rep a heart attack when he heard that I was racing a water cooled 2 stroke on his cheap stuff, But I change pistons every 70hrs, and I have not seen any difference. sure the more expensive oil is better, but I bet you can rebuild a motor on the 40$ an oil change I save on penzoil, and I bet it won't be more then a day or two sooner.

·
rain? whats that!
5,834 Posts
A bit of a testamonial, I used to use motorbike oil (Honda brand usually) in my VTR. Then b4 my ride to calgary I switched to M1 15w50 as I heard good things about it.

Oddly enough it used up almost 3/4 quart of oil getting to there but NONE on the way back, and I generally rode the piss out of it during the trip.

Also, once I returned home, riding familiar routes again, the bike found at least 2-3 more hp hidden somewhere (did not notice this during the trip there).

This on a bike with 15,000 kms.

·
contradiction incarnate
2,748 Posts
REVELATIONS said:
A bit of a testamonial, I used to use motorbike oil (Honda brand usually) in my VTR. Then b4 my ride to calgary I switched to M1 15w50 as I heard good things about it.

Oddly enough it used up almost 3/4 quart of oil getting to there but NONE on the way back, and I generally rode the piss out of it during the trip.

Also, once I returned home, riding familiar routes again, the bike found at least 2-3 more hp hidden somewhere (did not notice this during the trip there).

This on a bike with 15,000 kms.
isn't the Vancouver to Calgary part more uphill overall versus Calgary to Vancouver part more downhill overall?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts