BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Former Colorado Avalanche player Steve Moore and his family have filed a multi-million dollar civil lawsuit against Todd Bertuzzi and the Vancouver Cancuks in Ontario court, CBC News reports.

Moore's lawyer Tim Danson filed the lawsuit on Tuesday in Ontario Superior Court. The suit names Bertuzzi, Orca Bay Limited Partnership, Orca Bay Hockey Inc. and the Canucks as defendants.

Moore, along with his parents, are seeking $15-million for loss of income, $2-million in punitive damages and $1-million in aggravated damages. Jack and Anna Moore, who are also named as part of the lawsuit, are seeking $1.5-million in damages.

There is no date yet for the suit to be heard.

In October of 2005, a judge in Colorado dismissed a lawsuit filed in the United States against Bertuzzi, saying that since the incident in question happened in Canada and that all the defendants in the case are Canadian or Canadian-based, any case would be best handled in Canada.

"British Columbia bears the most significant relationship to Moore's claims," Denver district Judge Shelley Gilman wrote in her decision.

Moore hasn't played since March 8, 2004 when Bertuzzi grabbed him from behind, punched him in the head and drove his head into the ice. Moore suffered three fractured vertebrae in his neck, a concussion and other injuries.

Bertuzzi was suspended indefinitely by the NHL and was charged by Vancouver police with assault. He pleaded guilty, and was then sentenced to probation and community service.

After missing 13 regular season games and the entire Stanley Cup playoffs in 2004, the NHL reinstated Bertuzzi last August.

Bertuzzi is currently playing for Team Canada at the Winter Olympics in Torino, Italy.

So basically.. he got laughed out of the US, and I hope they laugh him out of Canada. And WTF is up with his parents sueing? This ain't the US dude, that shit ain't going to fly here.

And I think any reasonable jury sitting in on this if it does go to trial is going to have a really hard time believing that Bertuzzi was entirely responsible for all damages.. man that's going to be an ugly battle if it does.

D

·
0 Posts
even the cops shouldn't have been involved.

it was an on ice incident. should have been handled by the nhl and no one else.

moore knew when he signed his contract what kind of game he was getting into. would he have sued if someone had cleanly hit him from behind and caused similar injuries?

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
doug said:
even the cops shouldn't have been involved.

it was an on ice incident. should have been handled by the nhl and no one else.

moore knew when he signed his contract what kind of game he was getting into. would he have sued if someone had cleanly hit him from behind and caused similar injuries?
Yeah well it was the malicious part that I guess changes the way people look at it. But I totally agree. It's like getting in a boxing ring and sueing the guy for knocking your teeth out.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Celebrity Death match, Bertuzzi vs. Moore... Lets hope they both lose.

Ryan

·
Yellow Power Ranger
3,009 Posts
I still don't think the Bertuzzi incident was completely his fault. He had no intention of injuring Steve Moore...the fact is that everyone who was on the ice just doggy piled on him...thats what injured him...not Burt.

Anyways, Steve Moore is a broke ass now that is just trying to get money from Burt because he isnt making anything in the NHL. He needs to screw off!

D

·
0 Posts
adamantium said:
Yeah well it was the malicious part that I guess changes the way people look at it. But I totally agree. It's like getting in a boxing ring and sueing the guy for knocking your teeth out.
had bertuzzi tried to decapitate him with a stick, then it could be considered malicious. i bet an informal poll amongst those that have played some level of competetive hockey would say that's hockey.

i'd almost want to see the video again and test a theory. i think moore, knowing he was being gunned for, turned away when he knew he was going to get something and essentially took a dive. the dive went wrong and he ended up tangled with bertuzzi and on the ice. the combination of falling on the ice, having bert fall on top of him, then mashing his head into the ice, was probably the root of the injuries. had moore stood up, i bet he would have gotten nothing more than a black eye, and a date for a rematch.

part of the reason i think this is the case is from what happened to brashear. when he went down, his head didn't smack the ice until after his helmet came off.

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I dunno man.. I saw that clip many many times.. and while he did turn away (suggesting he wasn't going to fight), he bloody well knew Bertuzzi was behind him - though Im' sure he didn't expect a punch to the back of the head. Either way.. it was malicious because it wasn't entirely predictable by Moore (at least that's my thoughts on it). Whether the dogpile did it, or whatever.. Bert's still the responsible one here for the most part..

It'll be pretty interesting to see what happens, my bet is that Bert just settles it for a few mil out of court to make it go away. That, or our courts just laugh him out of Canada.

·
Banned
1,946 Posts
Here's a question: why do people like swinging off Bertuzzi's nuts so much? Fuck that guy and the horse he rode in on. I hope he walks out of this with nothing more than a barrel to hide his ass.

·
I like traffic cones :S
15,773 Posts
CorvetteBoy said:
Here's a question: why do people like swinging off Bertuzzi's nuts so much? Fuck that guy and the horse he rode in on. I hope he walks out of this with nothing more than a barrel to hide his ass.
Amen!
The idea of Bertuzzi being on the same ice as other countires... no, just BREATHING the air there is dusgisting. He doesnt stand for anything Olympics are about.

His "crying" on TV was so damn fake, WWF stuff is more believable that his performance. He has no remorse about what he did and yes, i hope he does walk out with nothing but a barre l to hide his ass.:rant

D

·
0 Posts
geeze, you guys must like non contact no slap shot men's league hockey.

[homer]BORING[/homer]

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
doug said:

[homer]BORING[/homer]
Yea, I love playing a sport where people punch you in the back of the head. :rtfm
I'm not much of a hockey fan, and the only hockey i've really watched is minor league stuff, and from what i've seen, Most hockey players seem to be very poor sports, hell, the fans too.
Fans Yelling at players, players yelling at fans, players swearing and bitching at each other none stop.

Only sport i really have any experience with is football(highschool), I was on the line, where the sole intent is hitting people. Worst things that happened were the odd person tackling you after the whistle, or some intimidating linemen making fun of your mom. lol.

Ryan

·
I like traffic cones :S
15,773 Posts
doug said:

[homer]BORING[/homer]
NHL is a joke after their "strike". I'm suprised fans just didnt go "fuck this" after the "strike" was over.

I like football, or what yer call "soccer". :imwithstu

·
1,000 Posts
His "crying" on TV was so damn fake, WWF stuff is more believable that his performance. He has no remorse about what he did and yes, i hope he does walk out with nothing but a barre l to hide his ass.
ya man, i guess that means he musta fake cried on national tv....you fucking idiot

·
... as in "off my bike?"
397 Posts
adamantium said:
... seeking $15-million for loss of income ...
This is my favourite part. Moore made $425,000 in 03-04. Even taking into consideration the pay-increase that he would get under the new CBA, he'd still have to play until he was 61 to make that amount of money.

His attitude over the whole thing makes it really hard to feel sorry for him.

·
I'm back
1,947 Posts
made Man said:
NHL is a joke after their "strike". I'm suprised fans just didnt go "fuck this" after the "strike" was over.

I like football, or what yer call "soccer". :imwithstu
If they were soccer fans they'd get drunk, fight the fans cheering for the other team in a huge brawl and then shoot some flares at the players....oh wait thats been done. They'd just scale the boards and take vigilante justice on Bert and that would be the end of it.

·
Why not
541 Posts
I don't think it was a question of being laughed out of the US courts. It was a ruling on jurisdictional grounds. The judge was right, jurisdiction should lie with Canadian courts. Moore probably wanted the case heard in US courts because payouts for personal injury cases in the US are generally far higher than in Canada.

The act was not one common to the game, not something that NHL players accept as part of the risk of playing, it left the man with no possibility of playing for the rest of his life and was done intentionally. Seems like a pretty good case for a suit. Not to mention the fact that Bertuzzi already plead guilty to a criminal charge. Now that doesn't clinch it for Moore, but it definitely helps in a civil proceeding.

D

·
0 Posts
made Man said:
The idea of Bertuzzi being on the same ice as other countires... no, just BREATHING the air there is dusgisting. He doesnt stand for anything Olympics are about.
and all those that have been caught doing steriods or anything else to cheat the system are in the olympic spirit? for one that hasn't played hockey, you sure have a skewed sense of what it's all about.

go watch footy. never seen a fan killed in a hockey riot in a stadium before.

i'd rather watch paint dry.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts