BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
ROUTES EDITED!!

After a couple of weeks of pouring over every saved ride report, every map, every road I have ridden, and input from a few amazing riders here on BCSB (Don/Doser being one of them) I created "Moregon". A 5 day, 4 night trip that captures the best of the best.

thought I would share each map I created. Each one is printable in color and sized to fit in the map window of a tank bag, large enough to read while riding.

DAY 1

·
Three hour tour guide
8,750 Posts
Looks like a goodun. I'm familiar with 85% of those roads, don't see a dog among them.

·
Ridin' Dirty
852 Posts
Awesome! I am getting a cooling vest asap!

·
California dreamin'
2,440 Posts
If I can make a couple of suggestions.

Day 2B -- Re: Hwy 7(?) between Hwy 395 and Hwy 26 -- my recollection of this road is that while scenic and it looks good on paper (lots of curves), the pavement is not the greatest, the eastern half of this road is used to move cattle so there was reasonably fresh cow crap all over the road when we rode it two weeks ago (can you say slippery?), there are several instances where cattle guards are poorly placed in the corners and the road surface in too many corners is often dirty with gravel and sand. If you want to putter along and enjoy the scenery, fine, but if you're planning on a more spirited pace you may wish to consider another route. (I'll confirm my assessment with other members of my riding group. EDIT: Other members of my riding group confirmed that it's the same road.)

Day 4 -- instead of heading south out of Baker City, you may want to consider heading north to Haines instead and then follow the signs to Anthony Lake ski area and follow that route further west to where it connects with the highway between Granite City and Ukiah. IMHO, that was the second or third best road we travelled on our trip. It was more fun that the stretch of your route between Sumpter and Granite City.

Re: your comment in the other thread about staying in Baker City (vs. John Day) -- good call. My group was thinking the same thing if we were to base ourselves in this area again and do loop rides. Baker City has a number of old buildings in its downtown dating back to the turn of the 20th century which are cool to check out. I enjoyed the few hours we spent wandering around there.

I assume you'll be taking Hwy 821 north out of Yakima? Good fun that road.

Very jealous. I got back from that area 10 days ago and I already want to go back. When are you leaving?

·
I like traffic cones :S
15,773 Posts
Stealing it.

Perfect for my aug vacation.

·
Ridin' Dirty
852 Posts
We did not factor in Hells Canyon Motorcycle Rally...
Pirates galore! Nothing like trying to pass 50 harleys

·
From N00bie to Wannabe
4,839 Posts
We did not factor in Hells Canyon Motorcycle Rally...
Pirates galore! Nothing like trying to pass 50 harleys
It's easy!: Throttle WFO! Just make sure you give a fist pump & a thumbs up as you blast past within reach of their kill switch! ;)

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
re: KatRider's comments, (it's 20 - Upper Middle Fork Rd from 395 to 7 / 26), for sure there is cow shit on the road and gravel pitched into some of the corners, but this is still an excellent ride. two of us did it last weekend and once you 'accepted it for what it is' and rode accordingly, we got along at a pretty spirited pace.

btw, the southern 13 mi / 20 kms of FSR 39 (Oxbow to Joseph) is under construction (intermittent, not continuous). closed completely Tues - Thurs till July 1st (open weekends); thereafter (till Oct 15 apparently) pilot cars with up to 1 hr delays. the construction areas are smooth, well-bedded gravel, so it's not too bad even on a sport bike. the northern portion of the road have the typical intermittent pavement breaks and potholes, but they are minor. they've been painted up, so it looks like repairs (small patches) will soon take place there too.

and as for Baker City, nice place but it gets very busy with festivals and 'meets' of various sorts thru summer, so accommodation is often very hard to find. maybe La Grande?

·
Still defying gravity...
2,853 Posts
Great routes & planning Frank, and Dave's comments look good too. My only thought would be for Day 4 to head towards Hood River for the night (once through Yakima would be enough for me) and then play a bit around the east side of Mt St Helens (Windy Ridge :) ) on day 5 heading home. Otherwise, great routes!

·
lover of twins
6,069 Posts
Looks like a good time. CDG, you've got outstanding highlighting skills.
you should ask him to highlight all the stop signs for you, just so you know where they are.

:devillook:devillook:devillook

1 - 20 of 80 Posts