BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

21 - 40 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
filterwrench, this is looking just maybe possible. Looking at options to join you enroute from Victoria. What are your possible stop points and times thereof on day 1?

Day 2 looks tasty!

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Sounds good Talonz, I will be back in BC late this week and will figure out a more detailed ride plan for the first day. Will take a good long break once the slab is done at 21007 WA 410. Around 8-9am. Free WiFi and fuel is nearby.

·
Registered
18,864 Posts
why 500 lbs?

Sport tourers weigh in starting at around 700lbs for a reason, their designed for distance rides. Along with the fuel capacity,comfort, weather protection comes the big plus the saftey factor. You tire out on a light bike after a couple of days of distance riding.I have experienced this on my 500lb GS I could not keep up on some rides when it got windy out. We ride for fun getting blown into a barb wired fence at 120 km is where the fun stops real quick and on this ride we are going to see a lot of windmills.
I get your perspective on the weight, but I disagree. I've done many long trips on bikes, and I have never noticed any difference between a light 600 supersport, or a heavy as hell sport touring behemoth... and in both cases, loaded with side bags and a tent/sleep bag.

I'd be more selective around experience than what folks show up on. As long as the bike is reliable, that's the main concern imho. Best wishes on your travels, that's a great ride you have planned.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Sport tourers

I get your perspective on the weight, but I disagree. I've done many long trips on bikes, and I have never noticed any difference between a light 600 supersport, or a heavy as hell sport touring behemoth... and in both cases, loaded with side bags and a tent/sleep bag.

I'd be more selective around experience than what folks show up on. As long as the bike is reliable, that's the main concern imho. Best wishes on your travels, that's a great ride you have planned.
Thanks for the Best wishes! All I can say is if you have not noticed a diffrence between a heavy sport tourer and a half liter bike on distance rides then I know better than to have an arm wrestle cause you must have Popeye arms.

·
Registered
8,758 Posts
i already noticed it today and it is a massive difference between the 420lb + R1 and my 700lbs Raider.. riding down the canyon
in heavy winds (riding against wind), truck passes you going the other way and you 'feel' the push which would otherwise upset a
sportbike while the Raider is poised and steady. Absolutely no need to adjust for balance. I have ridden the canyon in such situations
on the R1 a shit-tonne, same on the old R6.. I think it comes down to rather specific scenarios but coupled with the fact that you're
cramped on a wee sportbike makes me realize how much better a big bike is out on the long haul. I had never really thought about it
(TBH) as its easy to forget what you've experienced out there in previous outings but being conscious of it in familiar roads its pretty obvious.

Now what folks choose to accept one way or the other and not think of as a negative notch, thats down to personal choice of course.

Thanks for the Best wishes! All I can say is if you have not noticed a diffrence between a heavy sport tourer and a half liter bike on distance rides then I know better than to have an arm wrestle cause you must have Popeye arms.
funny :laughing

·
Super Moderator
23,551 Posts
i already noticed it today and it is a massive difference between the 420lb + R1 and my 700lbs Raider.. riding down the canyon
in heavy winds (riding against wind), truck passes you going the other way and you 'feel' the push which would otherwise upset a
sportbike while the Raider is poised and steady. Absolutely no need to adjust for balance. I have ridden the canyon in such situations
on the R1 a shit-tonne, same on the old R6.. I think it comes down to rather specific scenarios but coupled with the fact that you're
cramped on a wee sportbike makes me realize how much better a big bike is out on the long haul. I had never really thought about it
(TBH) as its easy to forget what you've experienced out there in previous outings but being conscious of it in familiar roads its pretty obvious.

Now what folks choose to accept one way or the other and not think of as a negative notch, thats down to personal choice of course.

funny :laughing
You should just relax on the bars, you're probably just a lil scared and holding on too tight.

·
Registered
8,758 Posts
You should just relax on the bars, you're probably just a lil scared and holding on too tight.
??? a little scared? of what exactly?...

did you actually read the post or just decided i was wrong? or for some reason bcsb incompetent at riding? or maybe you were just being funny. :happysq

if anything its the exact opposite. Riding a motorcycle which is designed for the open road is actually rather effortless.

Where's that like button!
oh that thing, yeah its easy to get lost.. here it is, you're welcome :flip

·
Registered
397 Posts
Cheers guys, made the 1245 coho with tons of time to spare this morning! Woke up with the dawn and figured I might as well get the blast home done.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Right on, seen ya leave the parking lot. Windy Ridge Lookout was gated 7 km from the top, nice ride up to there. Then we took the 7 and then slabbed it home. Traffic thru Seattle was brutal what a difference from the Oregon roads. I would really like to own that hard to find tree.

·
Registered
2,960 Posts

·
Posing with conviction
5,384 Posts
Right on, seen ya leave the parking lot. Windy Ridge Lookout was gated 7 km from the top, nice ride up to there. Then we took the 7 and then slabbed it home. Traffic thru Seattle was brutal what a difference from the Oregon roads. I would really like to own that hard to find tree.
7 kilos from the top. So I take that to mean that you got onto the Windy Ridge road but you couldn't quite make it through to the parking lot at the end. Correct?

The interstate through Seattle has been horrible for years. They have traffic jams pretty much during all hours of the daytime in spots.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
7 kilos from the top. So I take that to mean that you got onto the Windy Ridge road but you couldn't quite make it through to the parking lot at the end. Correct?

Gate was close to where the road starts just past the first parking lot thought I seen a sign there that said 5 miles to Windy Ridge but the sign was messed up so could be off on the 7 km estimate. Talked to a local parks lady there and she said that its closed due to road issues and may not open this year also a large portion of the area is closed to the public this year for "Scientific Testing"

·
Posing with conviction
5,384 Posts
Gate was close to where the road starts just past the first parking lot thought I seen a sign there that said 5 miles to Windy Ridge but the sign was messed up so could be off on the 7 km estimate. Talked to a local parks lady there and she said that its closed due to road issues and may not open this year also a large portion of the area is closed to the public this year for "Scientific Testing"
Thanks! Might have saved me some disappointment in a few weeks. Sure you guys are having a blast.

EDIT:

Park Service says Windy Ridge MIGHT open mid-August, after repairs are complete.

https://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/giffordpinchot/recarea/?recid=81498

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
The interstate through Seattle has been horrible for years. They have traffic jams pretty much during all hours of the daytime in spots.
for future reference, it's possible to avoid the Seattle-opolis interstate mess entirely. you can take hwy 9 in its entirety, or add in some side roads ( unlikely, cuz the 'goal' is to get somewhere) to Arlington. then Granite Falls. thence past Lk Roesiger to Munroe; 203 thru Duvall and Falls City; Black Diamond > Buckley > Eatonville. all pleasant little towns, mostly low traffic roads.

https://www.google.ca/maps/dir/Arlington,+WA,+United+States/Granite+Falls,+Washington,+USA/Monroe,+Washington,+Washington,+USA/Duvall,+Washington,+USA/Black+Diamond,+Washington,+USA/Eatonville,+Washington,+USA/@47.5380694,-122.6448211,9z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m38!4m37!1m5!1m1!1s0x54854979f0b4340d:0xb48a13d1a086f1d5!2m2!1d-122.1251418!2d48.1987118!1m5!1m1!1s0x549aca0ef9f0353b:0x6d3f58018e45dd!2m2!1d-121.968742!2d48.0839895!1m5!1m1!1s0x549aa656f7bf77a5:0x77f7f38b2e289ae1!2m2!1d-121.9709579!2d47.8553772!1m5!1m1!1s0x54900ac5c8d571df:0xc73986cc56f4c3fc!2m2!1d-121.9856781!2d47.7423218!1m5!1m1!1s0x5490f4dacfe30f6d:0xe26c64ca595c4d13!2m2!1d-122.0031691!2d47.3087121!1m5!1m1!1s0x549123653fca8f3b:0xfff2ab7265bdce5d!2m2!1d-122.266502!2d46.8673263!3e0

21 - 40 of 53 Posts