BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
+ 39.9 km/h
1,516 Posts
I was at the entrance to Windy Ridge on Saturday July 15th the gates are closed about 100 metres in as you turn onto NF-99. Don't think anyone knew this, as there was a pile of motorcycles in the parking lot on the right hand side.

On a pavement note: NF-25 from the Windy Ridge entrance North up towards Randle is an absolute bumpfest. You will get bucked out of your seat even at slow speeds. Less than enjoyable.
The South side down towards Cougar was bumpy in spots but keeping a close eye on the road you could deal with it.

A local guy at the Chevron in Randle attempted to warn us about how crappy the bumps were on 25. We told him we just came from the experience and that Windy Ridge was gated off. He didn't know it was closed either.

Suggested for anyone wanting to ride Mt. St Helen's this summer is to ride Mt. Rainier instead.

·
Super Moderator
9,052 Posts
Hmmm, I did Helen's 3 years ago and it was an off-road adventure. Watching Chia in front with his FJR off the ground and shooting sparks in to my helmet like he was a welder was, well...........adventurous? But not something i would do again, I count ourselves lucky

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
when we just got off the rough sections of 2515 road north of Windy Ridge had a couple of screaming sport bikes come around a corner full leathers, knees dragging had no time to warn them about what they had coming up. if they wern,t locals I bet one of them is still stuck in a tree.

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
if they weren't locals I bet one of them is still stuck in a tree.
ha hah - quote of the day!

sure a shame there's not enough money in the forestry budget to tackle some of the worst dips and hollows. that's a great route thru there, otherwise...

·
+ 39.9 km/h
1,516 Posts
sure a shame there's not enough money in the forestry budget to tackle some of the worst dips and hollows.
The local guy in Randle was saying that because it's a forest road and not a national historic site they haven't spent the money on NF-25 to fix the bumps, but the area South where they're more active has been resurfaced.
Dunno if the same rings true for the West side on Hwy 504, but that side is not as fun as Windy Ridge is (when it's open).
https://www.fs.usda.gov/alerts/giffordpinchot/alerts-notices/?aid=38113

·
Accelerus Maximus
701 Posts
Was through there about a week ago, at the end of a week
in Mo, ID, OR, and Wash (north from Carson on #25)

Not much has changed in the last couple of years on the
north side of St Helens (from Windy Ridge turn off to Randle)
as there has been frost heaves and slump damage on that
road for a number of years and I rode that at speed last week

The south side (from Hood River, through Carson) is still one
one of the finest sections of road around

It is about 100 km from Carson to the Windy Ridge turn off,
and the 70 or so Km from Paradise Campground to the Windy
Ridge turn off is pretty amazing, particularly the first three
quarters of that distance

The crappy part from the Windy Ridge turn off to Randle is
less than 25 km of challenging road - which is bumpy, but if
you move around a lot of it (into the other lane) it is not that
big of a deal... Yes, you have to slow down, and adjust to the
conditions on the fly... kinda like you do on every other road

Hardly the best road, but not even close to a reason to avoid
the area, particularly if Windy Ridge is open (the current closure
is nothing new - there is often road damage due to winter and
spring runoff)

Also - there are signs near Carson noting that Windy Ridge was
not open, though you had to be sharp to spot them (smaller
forest service rec site signs)

You can find current info on the road conditions here:

https://www.fs.usda.gov/alerts/giffordpinchot/alerts-notices

Hwy 410 north out of Packwood, on the east side of Ranier,
has some decent bits, but is absolutely tame in comparison
to Hwy 25

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
^^^ well covered! and in particular, I remember a section about 25kms north of Carson, where the road twists uphill thru a set of extraordinary linked curves, all on absolutely fresh pavement as of two (three?) years ago. splendid!

https://www.google.ca/maps/dir/Carson,+WA,+USA/Northwoods,+Washington,+USA/@45.8902266,-121.9103303,10.99z/data=!4m14!4m13!1m5!1m1!1s0x5495dfbe21aa9a7d:0xcffb435ba3784379!2m2!1d-121.8188307!2d45.7255968!1m5!1m1!1s0x549686ba476d3183:0xdc5eb1e2a0e69571!2m2!1d-122.0200875!2d46.059002!3e0

·
California dreamin'
2,440 Posts
^^^ well covered! and in particular, I remember a section about 25kms north of Carson, where the road twists uphill thru a set of extraordinary linked curves, all on absolutely fresh pavement as of two (three?) years ago. splendid!

Are you referring to that series of (IIRC) posted 30 mph corners? That is a really sweet stretch of road.

As previously notes, that stretch from Carson to Windy Ridge is an entertaining ride.

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
^^^ I don't recall the speed posting, but there's only one section like this, northbound after you leave the valley, about 30km from Carson. Paradise Crk campground to Koshko winterpark; about 10km. very sweet...

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
This is now my favorite route to get thru Washington. Think I will appreciate my next ride on that route more than my first one as after 2 days in NE Oregon I was a little spoiled.

41 - 53 of 53 Posts