BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

MotoGP Qualifying: Qatar (Remember: race on SATURDAY)

2K views 41 replies 15 participants last post by  Focker 
#1 ·
****It's a saturday race, so if you're waiting for the Speed telecast, try to avoid the spoiler sites until Speed shows it on Sunday.****

Best times from day 1 (KRJR must smile a little when he sees that Suzuki nail so far down the order :laughing):

1. Kenny Roberts Jr. (KR211V) 1:56.905
2. Casey Stoner (Honda) 1:56.911
3. Marco Melandri (Honda) 1:57.010
4. Colin Edwards (Yamaha) 1:57.024
5. Loris Capirossi (Ducati) 1:57.031
6. Valentino Rossi (Yamaha) 1:57.141
7. Dani Pedrosa (Honda) 1:57.360
8. Toni Elias (Honda) 1:57.392
9. Nicky Hayden (Honda) 1:57.452
10. Sete Gibernau (Ducati) 1:57.569
11. Carlos Checa (Yamaha) 1:57.992
12. Chris Vermeulen (Suzuki) 1:57.783
13. Shinya Nakano (Kawasaki) 1:58.786
14. John Hopkins (Suzuki) 1:58.892
15. Alex Hofmann (Ducati) 1:59.245

See less See more
#3 ·
Awesome to see Kenny up there!

We'll see what happens come race time, but I just love that he's up there since it sticks it to KTM that bailed on KR racing, proves that a small factory can be competitive (assuming Honda gives you a motor) and that the old dog still can strut his stuff. He'll be a consistent top 10 this season, as least he didn't wine like Biaggi on that POS Zook.

#6 ·
I am admittedly too lazy to look for myself, so does anyone know what time (in our zone) the race starts Saturday? :)

#7 ·
Wow dry times. Looks like it's going to be a tough year for Rossi. makes for exciting races! maybe if he doesn't do well this year he'll stick around for a while longer?
Man i feel for Hopkins.. anytime your times are near Hofmann's you've got a problem. and wtf is up with Nakano? tech difficulties?

speed is showing the race at 11:00am on sunday, with 250 after for a change.

#9 ·
Boo..urns. Not a good preview for Kawi. Randy de Puniet is out with a prior hand injury. Nakano can't find grip.

Shinya Nakano also suffered today; finishing the first two free practice sessions in 13th overall, after struggling to find a good rhythm around the long, and technically demanding, Losail circuit.

"Today I just couldn't find a good rhythm on the bike. We are a little way off on set-up at the moment, not far off, but far enough to cause me some problems on the track. I lost grip at the front and the back during both practices today, which means I wasn't able to push as hard as I would have liked," he explained.

"I think we only need to make small changes to the bike to see a big difference, and once I'm able to push, I'm confident I can improve on my lap time considerably. At this track tyres are critical, and tomorrow we must focus on working our way through the tyre options that Bridgestone have available for us here," the Japanese concluded.

#10 ·
Focker said:
Awesome to see Kenny up there! (snip) ...as least he didn't wine like Biaggi on that POS Zook.
You must be joking, right? KRJR is one of the biggest whiners in the paddock, especially when he was with Suzuki, and I suspect the media just got tired of reporting his neverending criticisms of everything but his riding. I predict this practice performance is a flash in the pan and he won't be anywere near the lead pack come raceday. But I guess it's great for all those American websites who have a fascination with anything Kenny Roberts (Sr & Jr).

#12 ·
racer34 said:
You must be joking, right? KRJR is one of the biggest whiners in the paddock, especially when he was with Suzuki, and I suspect the media just got tired of reporting his neverending criticisms of everything but his riding. I predict this practice performance is a flash in the pan and he won't be anywere near the lead pack come raceday. But I guess it's great for all those American websites who have a fascination with anything Kenny Roberts (Sr & Jr).
You are probably right, after 3 years of calling it a POS it got to be old news.

I'm not a KR Jr. fan, just seems like he's an underdog that is worth cheering for.

I think you will see him in the top 10. Maybe top 7.

#13 ·
Nobody likes a whiner, but if he can consistently finish ahead of the Suzuki, it would certainly give some weight to his past comments about the bike.

I hope that future rounds hold plently of surprises like the first round did.

G
#14 ·
GSP said:
Nobody likes a whiner, but if he can consistently finish ahead of the Suzuki, it would certainly give some weight to his past comments about the bike.
thing is, for his whining to be valid, he'd have to be riding the zook again, and it would have to suck just as bad as when he did ride it.

zook has made a lot of progress with the XRE bikes. i think the bigger part of the performance equation is the riders. hopkins i don't think will come close to the success (if you want to call it that) of hayden, and vermin i suspect will do his time on the zook to learn the circuit, then bolt for a better ride.

zook needs to spend a metric assload of money and get a rossi.

#15 ·
doug said:
thing is, for his whining to be valid, he'd have to be riding the zook again, and it would have to suck just as bad as when he did ride it.

zook has made a lot of progress with the XRE bikes. i think the bigger part of the performance equation is the riders. hopkins i don't think will come close to the success (if you want to call it that) of hayden, and vermin i suspect will do his time on the zook to learn the circuit, then bolt for a better ride.

zook needs to spend a metric assload of money and get a rossi.
And why have 2 newbs to develop your program?
You think they would have a seasoned rider to help with developments.

#17 ·
mikeelliot said:
And why have 2 newbs to develop your program?
You think they would have a seasoned rider to help with developments.
KRJR was their seasoned rider and he clearly didn't get them where they needed to be in their development cycle. I think it's great that Chris V. came to the team ... hopefully he brings a fresh, winning attitude and accelerates the Suzuki MotoGP program.

#18 ·
Hopkins has talent.. as much as hayden? i'm not sure, I'd like to see both on different rides to help decide:D True the suzuki has come along way, but I'd say it's still far behind, it's still a nail..
I think going to pneumatic valves was a bandaid approach to getting more hp. we'll see if it helps any..

#20 ·
Qualifying

MotoGP qualifying times from the Qatar Grand Prix at Losail, round two of the 2006 world championship.

1. Casey Stoner AUS Honda LCR 1min 55.683 secs
2. Loris Capirossi ITA Ducati Marlboro Team 1min 55.721 secs
3. Toni Elias SPA Fortuna Honda 1min 55.735 secs
4. Nicky Hayden USA Repsol Honda Team 1min 55.793 secs
5. Dani Pedrosa SPA Repsol Honda Team 1min 56.008 secs
6. Valentino Rossi ITA Camel Yamaha Team 1min 56.076 secs
7. Sete Gibernau SPA Ducati Marlboro Team 1min 56.177 secs
8. Colin Edwards USA Camel Yamaha Team 1min 56.230 secs
9. Shinya Nakano JPN Kawasaki Racing Team 1min 56.237 secs
10. Kenny Roberts USA Team Roberts 1min 56.272 secs
11. Chris Vermulen AUS Rizla Suzuki MotoGP 1min 56.356 secs
12. Marco Melandri ITA Fortuna Honda 1min 56.822 secs
13. John Hopkins USA Rizla Suzuki MotoGP 1min 56.981 secs
14. Carlos Checa SPA Tech 3 Yamaha 1min 57.299 secs
15. Randy de Puniet FRA Kawasaki Racing Team 1min 57.822 secs
16. Makoto Tamada JPN Konica Minolta Honda 1min 57.891 secs
17. James Ellison GBR Tech 3 Yamaha 1min 58.674 secs
18. Alex Hofmann GER Pramac d'Antin MotoGP 1min 59.591 secs
19. Jose Luis Cardoso SPA Pramac d'Antin MotoGP 1min 59.733 secs

Stoner's talent is starting to show!
Hayden's close.
You could put a blanket over the first 4.
The Docters chatter problems have been solved apparently. Should be able to draught along for awhile then slip past as tires deteriorate. Thats if no one drew the short straw to take him out again. Tee Hee

#22 ·
Vale q'd 6th on a race tire ... didn't use Q tires b/c it compounds the chatter problems. He'll get his usual flier start and be pushing to the front within the first few corners ... provided he doesn't get torpedoed.

And KRJr is back where he belongs ... on the 4th row.

#24 ·
Better for Nakano but not good, I think he usually qualifies better than that at Qatar. I was hoping he'd do better.

#25 ·
Race!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Qualifing obviously Means Nothing , Watched the Race Early this Morning on the Dish . Won't post the Results , Don't want to spoil it for anyone who Has to wait until tomorrow to see it on SPEED.
All I will tell you is if your a Suzuki fan :laughing :laughing Don't bother:devillook

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.