BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any ideas? I'm currently storing my bike outside and even though it's getting moved into underground parking soon, i'd like to secure it against unruly tenants.

Has anyone had success with anti-theft devices? Could anyone recommend any?

Cheers!

·
ChingChongLingLongTingTon
246 Posts
isnt the weak part of that setup the black little chain that's connected to the big ol supertanker chain?

·
Accelerus Maximus
701 Posts
BIG Chain

Sweet - looks like it folds up nicely, so it will fit in your backpack...

Probably helps with your core strength as well.

:spinsmile

·
132 Posts
^^^^ useless.....just for show, connecting a small crappy chain to that beast is a obvs weak link....

Fact of the matter...the nicer the bike, the more likely they are to steal it, nothing will stop them, only slow them down....

buy a crappy bike or have theft coverage...your choice....don't bother those stupid little "deterants". its just a bike, if it gets stolen its not big deal if you have coverage...easy as hell to replace.

·
Wait for me, I'm SLOW
1,224 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
LOL. Love the replies. None of them help a lot, but I appreciate the humor.

As for the person who mentioned theft coverage, i've got that, but i'm looking for something that I can use when i'm on the go or if I ever go touring.

I'm gonna get a disc lock from a local motorsports dealer for peace of mind.

Cheers guys.

·
Accelerus Maximus
701 Posts
LOL. Love the replies. None of them help a lot, but I appreciate the humor.
Apologies for the Tom Foolery - the photo got the best of me...

I have the Scorpion - i700 or i 900 (can't recall which one)
that works very well.

Battery lasts about a week, perimeter alarm is great. Not
sure how well it will work going through (around?) several
floors of concrete though.

Still - that only notifies you of the deed in progress - if
you are close by, well you might get to see them in action.

Most of the deterrents only put off the amateurs - the real
pros will physically get the bike, locks, alarm or not. Chains,
cables, etc are all cut/broken/etc in moments, as are the
the cheaper disc locks.

Lojack or similar, would be the next (or additional) level of
protection.

Best bet is keep a low profile in your hood, and hope that
the locals are not thieves.

Insurance is the (unfortunate) but only real long-term solution.

·
'Busa girls, God love 'em
5,842 Posts
Scorpio, never had a problem...perimeter is fantastic, esp if your on a trip in a motel...sleep peacefully

I live on the third floor and pick up a great signal from the underground... thing I like is it will be sceaming and paging me before you even touch the bike.

A call to 911 and a baseball bat in hand, amazing how fast you can run down three flights when your prized possession is getting fucked with

I figure I have done the best I can, Theft insurance can look after the rest

All i ask is if its stolen ride the shit out of it and dump it off a cliff, I would not want it back, thanks !!!

·
Eh Muh Gawd Becky!!
6,648 Posts
Scorpio alarm def will go through a few layers of concrete. Similar situation to Argyle and my alarm let's me know if people are pissing around my bikes.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
buy a crappy bike or have theft coverage...your choice....don't bother those stupid little "deterants". its just a bike, if it gets stolen its not big deal if you have coverage...easy as hell to replace.
And if you have a crappy bike, get theft coverage anyway... Given that my old-model Ninja 250 got stolen... They'll take anything.

·
Unregistered User
2,769 Posts
GPS tracking in my opinion is the only option.

By the time the GPS gets put to work, ie. tracking, isn't it too late? Would you really want the bike back after who knows what it's been through?

If strata/landlord will allow it, BikeBrace gets my vote.

·
Registered
8,725 Posts
By the time the GPS gets put to work, ie. tracking, isn't it too late? Would you really want the bike back after who knows what it's been through?

If strata/landlord will allow it, BikeBrace gets my vote.

The GPS system I know, sends a text message to your phone within 30 seconds if motion/vibration is detected and then if it breaches it's security perimeter, it tracks it.

You walk into any mall parking lot and you hear alarms, no one even pays attention.

I have friends that recovered 2 bobcats within one hour using that system, alarms wouldn't have done anything for them.

For certain application, alarms/immobilizers are good, for bikes, it is way too easy to load up a bike into a van/truck, and it's gone, unless your GPS find it.

Also, the day a bike is recovered from a thief's house, I am sure that thief name and address will eventually end up posted here. :rockon

1 - 20 of 53 Posts