BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

21 - 40 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Am I naive to think that no true bike thief who knows what they are doing would bother to steal my bike because it has an ignition/ecu immobilizer? (Aka useless without the key?)

·
Wait for me, I'm SLOW
1,224 Posts
Am I naive to think that no true bike thief who knows what they are doing would bother to steal my bike because it has an ignition/ecu immobilizer? (Aka useless without the key?)
They'll just part it out and sell the parts.

:evilgrin

·
'Busa girls, God love 'em
5,842 Posts
Most just remove the plastics, sell them on craigs list or ebay

quick easy grand for the fackin thieves

I have been starting to get the screwdriver out and removing the plastics when it comes around to winter storage time

bike looks like shit without the plastics, hopefully a thief passes it by.

quick 10 minute deterant and its free

·
Chronic
4,472 Posts
Most just remove the plastics, sell them on craigs list or ebay

quick easy grand for the fackin thieves

I have been starting to get the screwdriver out and removing the plastics when it comes around to winter storage time

bike looks like shit without the plastics, hopefully a thief passes it by.

quick 10 minute deterant and its free

Good one, never thought of that for winter storage, if you have a storage place.

They will steal your bike for fun, forget just to replace their own crash damage, or to make something they bought look better.
They will also steal your bike just for the tires, a header, etc.
If you think insurance will fix everything, and you won't loose any money or precious riding time, keep smoking that shit, it's all true!

The more deterents they face, the more likely they are to pick another bike.
The more locks, the greater chance they will get caught because they had to drag out tools, cutters, whatever.
A cracker will steal a truck, grab another cracker, and steal your bike, all in 1/2 hour, for his frickin fix. ?$100
I don't know, but I did buy an older EX500 off of BCSB for $150 because the the time the owner got the bike back, it wasn't worth fixing up or riding. Now I use it for demo parts for my maintenance course! A big loss for that poor guy.

·
The real Batman
147 Posts
^^^ underground usually implies strata...no way in hell they are going to let him bolt into concrete...
Actually... I had a Bike Brace (got it at BBY Kawi) that I had bolted into the ground in my building underground. I spoke to the main caretaker (suggest you do so as well) and he said it'd be fine. In a place where I've had 9 cars stolen, my bike was always there. I've since moved, and sadly, was not allowed to put my bike brace in the new spot, and lost the bike to thieves a couple of months back. However, I plan on putting in my bike brace wherever I move next. It works well as a slow-down tool (a good thief WILL take what they want, it's simply a matter of time).

On the other hand, who has had experience with the GPS devices? Any recommended ones? I'm thinking of sticking one in my next bike... :) Thanks

·
Registered
8,725 Posts
Actually... I had a Bike Brace (got it at BBY Kawi) that I had bolted into the ground in my building underground. I spoke to the main caretaker (suggest you do so as well) and he said it'd be fine. In a place where I've had 9 cars stolen, my bike was always there. I've since moved, and sadly, was not allowed to put my bike brace in the new spot, and lost the bike to thieves a couple of months back. However, I plan on putting in my bike brace wherever I move next. It works well as a slow-down tool (a good thief WILL take what they want, it's simply a matter of time).

On the other hand, who has had experience with the GPS devices?
Any recommended ones? I'm thinking of sticking one in my next bike... :) Thanks
http://www.bcsportbikes.com/forum/showthread.php?t=119249&highlight=gps+snitch

·
Registered
8,725 Posts

On the other hand, who has had experience with the GPS devices? Any recommended ones? I'm thinking of sticking one in my next bike... :) Thanks
Sometimes the appearance of a bike brace will deter the thieves.
I have seen people silicone the bike brace to the ground and glue fake bolt nuts. It looks bolted, somewhat sturdy enough to stay in place.

·
The real Batman
147 Posts
Duuuude. I want that flamethrower thing! That is unbelievably cool. Just imagine driving down the street, see some chicks in a convertible and asking them: "is it hot out here or is it just me?"... blasting the flamethrower, and of course remarking... "yeah, it was just me :)" lol.

Thanks for the idea shovelhead. Though I do think I'll be allowed to bolt it into my new place. I do own it :p hehe. But the idea can help others :)

·
Wait for me, I'm SLOW
1,224 Posts

See Bike Brace does work!

:rockon

·
Registered
285 Posts
This is a very relevant topic for me right now since I'm moving from a house to an apartment with underground parking.
I have a stock bike alarm, disk lock w/alarm and just bought an 8' On Guard chain to chain it to a pillar. I'm also thinking about getting the GPS Snitch. Am I over doing it or what? lol

·
Registered
25 Posts
as my pop's would say, locks only keep honest people out, I use two disk locks, one front and one back and chain it to my wifes bike but really wouldn't take a thief long to take it... now if we could cut a thief's hand off maybe that would be a deterent, but alas, we're long past that point...

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Sorry to revive a dying thread, but didn't want to start a new one. Anybody have experience with a lock like this? My only concern is whether it will fit under the seat or not for transport :p I don't really want to fork out $400 on an alarm, since 95+% of the time my bike is secure in my house garage parket in front of my car. I only need a theft deterrent for the 5% of the time when I leave the bike parked outside for brief periods of time (e.g. Starbucks run :) )

http://www.bullylocks.com/blwebv2.nsf/Products/2F85F5B9558F67E6862576E8005D2B20?opendocument

edit: Anybody know what happened to Talon Alarms? Their website has been saying "new product coming soon" for over 1 year now...

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Sorry to revive a dying thread, but didn't want to start a new one. Anybody have experience with a lock like this? My only concern is whether it will fit under the seat or not for transport :p I don't really want to fork out $400 on an alarm, since 95+% of the time my bike is secure in my house garage parket in front of my car. I only need a theft deterrent for the 5% of the time when I leave the bike parked outside for brief periods of time (e.g. Starbucks run :) )
FWIW, I got a disc lock from Holeshot when I was out in langley once - it works just fine.

·
Registered
8,785 Posts
I have never know of a bike getting stolen from A BIKE BRACE. There pretty effective and if I was parking outside or underground for sure would get one.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I also opted for a disk lock. There is no way to defeat it with cutters. You would literally have to pick up the bike and load it in a truck. I park in my garage and I have restricted access underground parking at work. I think this is all I need.

BTW: the one I picked up is a MasterLock and has a handy reminder tether that connects to the handle to remind you its in place. Also does a nice job of drawing attention to the lock.

Cheers!

·
Registered
333 Posts
I also opted for a disk lock. There is no way to defeat it with cutters. You would literally have to pick up the bike and load it in a truck. I park in my garage and I have restricted access underground parking at work. I think this is all I need.

BTW: the one I picked up is a MasterLock and has a handy reminder tether that connects to the handle to remind you its in place. Also does a nice job of drawing attention to the lock.

Cheers!
I use a disc lock on the front and a chain/lock on the rear wheel. Hope the thieves enjoy lifting my 500lb motorcycle.

R

21 - 40 of 53 Posts