BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
8,785 Posts
The list is probably made by people who have no idea that there even is protective gear for motorcyclists beyond a helmet.

Perhaps this is something BCCOM could rally for.
i've always wondered about this... am i missing something or are there not enough pictures of what road rash looks like...?

would SIDI riding boots fall into this category? guess not unless you're getting paid to race!! what a crock!!

FOOTWARE WITH BUILT-IN SAFETY FEATURES, SUCH AS SAFETY TOES, LOGGER'S CAULKS OR ACID RESISTANT QUALITIES - not including footwear designed solely for weather protection

???

GLOVES !!

why the distinction of gloves worn by a worker!?? I should take my HELD TITANs in for inspection... they offer the most protection available on a riding glove
just cause i'm not getting paid to ride doesnt mean my hands arent important.... they certainly are not just for protection from the elements!

BUILT-IN SAFETY FEATURES :: Reinforced thumbs, palms, cuffs, designed to protect the wearer from physical harm

GAUNTLETS also listed! seems to me it is exactly all those things!

MARINE SAFETY EQUIPMENT is EXempt though!! hahahhaha... guess its alright to leave a nice red splatter mark all over the road as long as you're not drowning on your own blood n' gutts!! :laughing

inflatable life rafts: see Inflatable life rafts above
floater coats
life jackets
life saving cushions and throw rings
life - saving buoys and flags
marine survival suits
distress flares: see Distress flares above

·
NOOOOOB
2,631 Posts
Starbucks latte's should be added to the list, keeps riders alert and caffeinated while completing the S2S Motogp... safety first!!

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
We will look into it but I can hear it now from governemnt , this is only for what is legally required. The rider with the full face and shorts and flip flops or the rider with a half helmet and leather jacket/pants, I know they are two extremes and there is a middle ground there. I will put it out to members and see what the feelings are but sounds like a good cause..

·
countdown to next crash..
2,658 Posts
We will look into it but I can hear it now from governemnt , this is only for what is legally required. The rider with the full face and shorts and flip flops or the rider with a half helmet and leather jacket/pants, I know they are two extremes and there is a middle ground there. I will put it out to members and see what the feelings are but sounds like a good cause..
do you actually have riders in shorts and flip flops that would be against lobbying for pst exempt safety gear?

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
i've always wondered about this... am i missing something or are there not enough pictures of what road rash looks like...?

would SIDI riding boots fall into this category? guess not unless you're getting paid to race!! what a crock!!

FOOTWARE WITH BUILT-IN SAFETY FEATURES, SUCH AS SAFETY TOES, LOGGER'S CAULKS OR ACID RESISTANT QUALITIES - not including footwear designed solely for weather protection

???

GLOVES !!

why the distinction of gloves worn by a worker!?? I should take my HELD TITANs in for inspection... they offer the most protection available on a riding glove
just cause i'm not getting paid to ride doesnt mean my hands arent important.... they certainly are not just for protection from the elements!

BUILT-IN SAFETY FEATURES :: Reinforced thumbs, palms, cuffs, designed to protect the wearer from physical harm

GAUNTLETS also listed! seems to me it is exactly all those things!

MARINE SAFETY EQUIPMENT is EXempt though!! hahahhaha... guess its alright to leave a nice red splatter mark all over the road as long as you're not drowning on your own blood n' gutts!! :laughing

inflatable life rafts: see Inflatable life rafts above
floater coats
life jackets
life saving cushions and throw rings
life - saving buoys and flags
marine survival suits
distress flares: see Distress flares above
government will only tax exempt the legally required item. Since we can't ride naked are Banana hammocks exempt?

·
countdown to next crash..
2,658 Posts
so what you're saying is that for us to get a pst exemption for gear, you're thinking they'd take a hard look at people who are riding without any protection? Hmm. Yeah, still no problem with this.

·
Registered
8,785 Posts
as i mentioned, i've always wondered why this is the case, i've obviously always used safety gear in all of my jobs, and its always logical.

you see the long list on the watercraft side of things, so to be perfectly honest, it is a little insulting to us riders... a scenario for you, come around a corner and exit freeway, popo
is sitting there checking licenses, as soon as I pull up he assures me he's happy to see me as one of the mandates they are following closely is for checking full license on a motorcycle,
proper protection gear starting with helmet, but as soon as he starts talking about the rest of the gear, it was like he was looking at an Alien, he was very impressed with the full two-piece leather
suit as if he had never seen one up close {marveled by the ventilation and knee pucks, boots just pushed him over the edge! haha}... he told me its what they're trying to encourage!!
full leather riding gear weather on cruiser or sport-bike! and this was like 5 years ago!! :laughing

i believe some deep analysis and education of those in public service should be expected... we're responsible for ourselves and we'll take care of ourselves no matter what
but to not get the nod for doing it right, and apparently adhering to their new mandate, leaves yah with a little shitty taste in the mouth... :(

government will only tax exempt the legally required item. Since we can't ride naked are Banana hammocks exempt?
:laughing :laughing

ohh i understand the reasoning they use for it... but this is what i'm saying, its a legal requirement to use proper gear for high risk of watercraft sports,
but its perfectly fine to let riders slide down bare-ass on the SeaToSky... i'm not saying to make it illegal to ride without proper gear, but you should
at least encourage it!! ICBC considers proper Riding Gloves a necessity for riders... same with riding boots and helmet!.. its logical noh!?

so what you're saying is that for us to get a pst exemption for gear, you're thinking they'd take a hard look at people who are riding without any protection? Hmm. Yeah, still no problem with this.
THIS is what i believed was the case after my little conversation with the RCMP officer, and it was definitely in town,! i'm all for it!!

speaking as i'm about to have some alterations done to my touring pants, as they are so comfortable I want to wear them more often
in town... where sporting a full leather racing suit is just overkill... there shouldn't be a price placed on our safety...

·
Strebe für Hölle
209 Posts
Makes sense since wearing a helmet is law, ha not that the government helps out in other areas where the law applies. I'm not surprised other gear is not tax exempt, while it should be I am just glad general gear is not mandatory despite that I always wear a leather jacket, leather gloves, boots and, leather pants when it's below 30*C.

·
Former Hooligan
204 Posts
Does this mean helmets are exempt from duties crossing the border but other safety gear, currently, is not?
This has nothing to do with duties, it is about sales tax. Having said that, I have never been charged duty on a helmet and, more often than not I haven't been charged the tax either.

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
This has nothing to do with duties, it is about sales tax. Having said that, I have never been charged duty on a helmet and, more often than not I haven't been charged the tax either.
We get stuck having to pay every single time and have no choice but to roll the duty into the sale price.

They say the duties are there to protect Canadian business lol

·
Let the good times roll
1,083 Posts
I have purchased 3 helmets in the US and declared all of them at customs.

I have gone in and paid sales tax all 3 times. (2 with gst and one with hst).

Never paid any kind of duty.

·
Unregistered User
1,601 Posts
Duty depends on how they are declared at time of entry

Safety Gear HS 6506.10.10.90 Duty 0 % (MFN) (US DUTY Rate FREE and it clearly states MC helmet)

Protective headgear, athletic HS 6506.10.90.10 or Other HS 6506.10.90.10 Duty 8.5 %

Of rubber or of plastics HS 6506.91.00.00 Duty 9 %

Other HS 6506.99.90.00 Duty 12.5 %

·
Registered
8,785 Posts
We get stuck having to pay every single time and have no choice but to roll the duty into the sale price.

They say the duties are there to protect Canadian business lol
now there is something i've never understood, i know from your previous posts and comments that you ALWAYS get slapped with duty,
and no it will not help business' in any way.. none that I see... when ever i've bought gear from down south, I always declare it at
the border, NEVER asked to pay duty on anything...ever... just taxes... so what gives!?

Duty depends on how they are declared at time of entry
once i was asked IF duty should be charged, and i asked the lady to just put it down as SAFETY GEAR {1st one listed above} and she
was cool, it was a pair of SIDI riding boots.. I believe she did mention if it had been a pair of soccer boots/cleats or something else like that
it probably would be charged but it was up to the discretion of the officer... I explained what the boots looked like and what they did.. she
quickly smiled and agreed.. yeah its not like you've got an option on a sportbike... tax only.. thank you please speak with the cashier... :)

·
Unregistered User
1,601 Posts
The rates and HS Codes where just for Head Gear

Footwear is Section 6403 where most Duties are 18 % (except downhill ski boots Free) (US DUTY FREE)

Leather Jackets/Pant and Gloves 4203 Duty is 15.5 % (US DUTY Gloves 4.9 % Jacket/Pant 6 %)

·
Registered
8,785 Posts
ahh, i didnt quote any HS codes, i assumed thats what she used at the time,... i just mentioned it was SAFETY GEAR she seemed to understand what i meant.

i knew there was a distinction with safety gear for athletic use... oops.. i gotta learn to slow down when i read...

1st clue, Protective headgear is the 2nd one.. shoulda known... hahah

1 - 20 of 25 Posts