BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I'm taking my knowledge test on friday and I'm wondering if it's like the drivers knowledge test. Totally new, thanks for the help.

·
Registered
462 Posts
I'd say some parts are similar. Took it the first time without reading the motorcycle book and failed cause of some specific motorcycle questions.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Don't remember all of them, but something about a gust of wind, counter-steering, how a passenger should sit....etc.

but that was before in my situation, I didn't know anything about motorcycles at all. Like absolutely nothing except that it has two wheels like a bicycle.

·
Swivel on it
11,659 Posts
I argued with ICBC on one of the questions:

At what speed should you ride
1) Always at the posted limit
2) According to conditions

I answered 2 and got it wrong The woman there didn't seem to understand you might need to go slower depending on fog, ice, etc. Was the only question i got wrong too :rant

It's pretty much all common sense tho - assuming you have some you'll pass :)

·
BCSB Public Relations
10,277 Posts
I took mine about a year ago. It's actually quite harder than the one for cars. Lots of tricky questions.

Here are a few that I remember:

- picture of a person on a motorcycle (from the back) in an orange jacket
What's he doing wrong?

One of the possible answers: wrong gear (which is somewhat right), but the right answer is incorrect body position.

There was a question about at what angle you should cross rail roads... look that up in the book.

A question about lane position when heading/crossing over a hill.

A question about riding in staggered position w/ multiple riders, and that you should "straighten out" (ie. no more staggered") during a turn.

Just study the book (thoroughly) and you'll be fine.

·
7 Posts
Best thing to do is to read the "Road Sense For Riders". Reading it a couple of times will get you ready for the test. I took the test last year and the book was extremely helpful, then decided three weeks ago to go through riding school the learners was about to expire so I took the test again but read the book before taking it again and glad I did.

The material in the book is not bad and you can go through fairly quick.

Good Luck

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
First and foremost, make sure you read the test instructions thoroughly BEFORE commencing the test. It's a simple, touch-screen multiple choice test.
Don't get confused between the "A,B,C,D's" labelling the riders/hazards on the picture with the question with the "A,B,C,D" answer buttons....I know at least one person who embarrassed himself doing that on the first half dozen answers and almost failed the test. :p
You'll see what I mean when you take the test. I did complain to the tester that it was a bit confusing, but she pointed out (jokingly) that if I had difficulty with understanding the test protocol, I might want to reconsider riding a motorcycle. :laughing
Read the question twice, read the answers twice. You'll have plenty of time.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Skip questions you do not know for sure, and come back to them at the end... if you do well, you may never actually get to these questions before passing.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Skip questions you do not know for sure, and come back to them at the end... if you do well, you may never actually get to these questions before passing.
What he said. It's 40 questions but you only need to get 36 (correct me if I'm wrong) questions correct and the questions come from a much larger bank of questions. I skipped like 10 questions but never skipped enough to have to do the skipped ones again. And I didn't even answer 40 questions.

·
VANCOUVERCHICKENMAN.COM
150 Posts
It's a breeze.

I took it last Saturday and finished the test in 9.5 minutes.
Just read the question, read all the answers, and then think about yourself in that scenario... what would you do?

i.e. When changing lanes, do you signal, shoulder check, then switch lanes, or do you check your mirror, signal, shoulder check, then switch lanes?
Put yourself in the scenario, pretend you are riding your bike, or even driving your car and think it through with some common sense.

I seriously laughed out loud during some of the questions on the test, they were ridiculous. The test consists of 40 questions, however as soon as you get 32 correct, you pass.... Study the book, read it 3 times and you're guaranteed to pass!

Good luck!

·
Registered
366 Posts
They will tell you that they are looking for applied knowledge and not "memorized facts" from the book, but that is a complete and utter lie. Learn the book and you'll do fine. Also, the skipping questions you don't know advice is wise.

·
Registered
699 Posts
If you read the book, it's easy. It took me a few minutes. I think I might have gotten one wrong, but I can't remember for sure. Some guy beside me was still steaming over one of the first few questions when I left. Not sure why though, it's really no big deal. Just remember to read the question completely before you answer and read all the answers before you decide which one fits best. There are a few ambiguous ones but most are straighforward.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well this knowledge test shouldn't be too hard, I've been studying for the past week. Read the book twice and I think I'm ready, thanks for the help guys.

I'll let you all know tomorrow if I pass or not :p Thanks so much for the help, this website is truly amazing :p

·
BCSB Public Relations
10,277 Posts
I'll let you all know tomorrow if I pass or not :p Thanks so much for the help, this website is truly amazing :p
If you don't pass that will be $20 to each of us. Rules of the board.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts