21 - 40 of 58 Posts

·
Not Hanging Out Here
1,074 Posts
Type - Strap on Tank Bag
Maker - Teknic
Model - Deluxe
Bike(s) used on - 1990 FZR600
Recomendation - So far it's allright. I give it a 3 (1 poor, 5 good)
Comments - The instructions say 10lbs max. That's not even enough clothes for a weekend! As with most strap on's it tends to slide a bit. A little of that non-slip matting works good though and a result is that your tank (or tank cover on fizzers) doesn't get all skuffed up. Mounting was a little strange as my front strap goes around my steering stem right above the rad and the back strap goes under the seat off to one side.
http://www.teknicgear.com/pages/collections/luggage/deluxe_tank_bag.html

Type - Magnetic Tank Bag
Maker - no-name
Model - ???
Bike(s) used on - 1985 Kawasaki GPz305
Recomendation - 5
Comments - I bought this bag from BK last year. It's expandable at the top and the top zips off to boot. It's a huge bag and I used it on my trip to Port Hardy last year. Wonderful carrying capacity and because of the expanded height I could rest my chin on it on the highway. It has (I think) 4 magnets on each side and it doesn't move at all. If I could fit a steel tank on my fizzer I would use this bag again.

I'll try and get a pic of it.

·
Ride to you limits
1,220 Posts
Type- Tankbag (magnetic)
Maker- Gear
Model- Gear
Bike(s) used on- 03 Kawasaki ZX6R
Recomendation- 5 excellent

Comment:
$75.00 excellent price,
Expandable, Removable magnetic base included. Both Magnetic and Storage case have map viewing compartments.
Storage cover has to side storage compartments and turns into a backpack, Also included is locking straps and shoulder strap

·
X-nasty
2,287 Posts
Pvt. BLOGGINS said:
Anyone try "Oxfords" yet? They look pretty good (tank and saddle bags)
Type- Tankbag (magnetic)
Maker- Oxford
Model- Oxford Sports Lifetime Luggage Compact Tankbag (OF660)
Bike(s) used on- 03 SV650S
Recomendation- 5 excellent
Price - I paid $100.00 for it from my dealer when I picked up my bike.

I have an Oxford tankbag. The 10L one. It is nice. Has a map pocket on top. Also comes with a raincover and shoulder strap and zip out rucksack straps. It is magnetic, but has removable straps for plastic tanks.

One nice feature is that you can unzip the bag from the magnetic base, which just leaves the base on teh tank, which also has a map pocket on it. The bag also expands from being the same height at the front and rear, to increasing the height by approximately 4".

It is low and narrow at the front and high and wide at the rear. It also has one pocket on each side, running the whole length of the bag.

I use it around town when I am picking small things up or doong errands. It will hold several UK bike magazines in it.

http://www.oxprod.com/pages/compactlife.html

·
Ride to you limits
1,220 Posts
Pvt. BLOGGINS said:
Anyone try "Oxfords" yet? They look pretty good (tank and saddle bags)
Oxfprds are an awsom product your tank bag gan go up to 20Lts
and the rear bag and saddle bages can store up to 40Lts each.. the saddle bags have a coating on the bottom so your exhaust wont damage or bun through them..

·
X-nasty
2,287 Posts
Type- Soft luggage, rack mounted
Maker- Ventura
Model- Ventura Bike=Pack System using Pack Rack and P145 Bag
Bike(s) used on- 03 SV650S
Recomendation- 5+ excellent
Price - $600 including shipping, brokerage, customs charges
Bought from - www.cycleventure.com in Edmonds, Washington

Basically I was looking for luggage that would hold all of my gear for going back and forth to work. That usually consists of several pens, screwdriver, gum, keys, wallet, boots, and my regualr shirt if it is long sleeve and a sweater (won't fit under my leather jacket). Backpacks weren't cutting it as the boots dug into my back and I couldn't shoulder check as well as I would like to.

I had seen pictures of the Ventura system being used on bikes in Australia and New Zealand and it looked like it would be perfect. Since I ride my bike everyday, rain or shine, I am looking for practicality, not just style.

You must buy specific pieces to fit your bike, which are the L-brackets, pack-rack, sport-rack(which I didn't buy), and grab rail. These brackets may be able to be used on other bikes then your own, but you must cross-reference the numbers on the brochure that Amy:thumbup from www.Cycleventure.com can send you.

I bought the L-brackets, pack rack, grab rail, P145 bag, and storm cover. The bag is 45L and is capable of carrying a maximum of 20lbs worth of whatever. The bag slides over the pack rack and secures to the rack with a pair of quick release fasteners, which can be undone with gloves on. It is very secure when in place and does not move around. The bag has 1 large and 1 small compartment, 1 side clear pocket for maps (but it is large and it holding my storm cover) and 1 side bungee net pocket for water bottles or anything else you need to get to fast.

The instructions are very thourough and easy to understand. That is all there is to say about that.

When riding solo, the bag faces your back, sitting on the passengers seat. On my bike, it rubs on the OEM grab handle, so I must get some clear sticky film to cover it. Those with solo seat covers wouldprobably want to do the same. When taking a passenger, the bag mounts facing the rear. It sits on a built in rack base to keep it supported.

When riding without the bag, the L-brackets must have something mounting into them so that if a crash occurs, you cannot be speared by the open ends. Instead of riding around with the pack rack, I purchased the grad handle also. This handle is much higher than my OEM on and is much easier for my wife to hold onto as she can get both hands under it and she doesn't have to sit so upright.

I have tested the bag up to the maximum allowable speed of 130 km/h with it sitting facing me and it is hardly noticable. The only time I notice it is there is in strong crosswinds, but it really makes no difference. During my daily commute, which consists of city/freeway riding between 20km/h~90km/h, I have never noticed the bag once. I can barely see it in my mirrors.

The only thing that may bother people is the fact that you can't lock it to the bike and forget about it. The instructions show you to use a lock through one of the D-rings to the rack itself, but that just keeps the bag to the bike, the compartments can still be opened. However, yesterday I had all of my work gear in the bag, put in my riding gloves and full face helmet, and took it with me shopping. There is a top mounted carry handle and optional shoulder straps to convert it into a backpack.

Like I said above, this product gets a 5+ from me. It is all I will ever need for space. If I require more luggage capacity, another P145 or P135 bag can be zippered to my exisiting bag, creating 80L or 90L worth of carrying capacity, however, this could only be done riding solo. There is also a Sport Rack and Sport Pack which is only 10L in size, but would be a good choice for small trips around town. I woudn't use it since I have a tankbag for that already.

L-brackets, Grab Handle

L-brackets, Pack Rack

L-brackets, Pack Rack, P145 facing forward

L-brackets, Pack Rack, P145 facing rearward

P145 Closeup

·
Registered
373 Posts
Sailor said:
I'm looking for a reasonable priced strap on that's a good size.

Suggestions?
:roflmao :roflmao :roflmao :roflmao :roflmao

·
More than meets the eye
1,327 Posts
Type - Tankbag
Maker - Oxford
Model - Humpback
Comments - Great bag, very versatile, soldily built
Bike(s) used on - 2004 Katana 750
Recomendation - 5 excellent

·
Registered
385 Posts
Type - Tankbag
Maker - Gears
Model - NA
Comments - Not your biggest, multipocket tankbag.
Bike(s) used on - CBR F4i
Recomendation -****5**** I use mine to store a pair of Jeans, sweater, shirt, sox, MP3 player, wallet & cell without busting ma fingers closing zippers. Its nice to lay on (long distance/highway travel) when full. It has 7 magnets which are 45mm in diameter and 15mm in depth. Rubber like surface material. This thing DOES NOT SLIP! ESP. Never had a problem thorwing it on a wet tank. It aint going nowhere! If your looking for a bag thats practicle this one rox for 55 bux... think actuall retail was like 75 bux. (last years stock)

Type - Backpack
Maker - Osprey
Model - Dunno
Comments - Huh? what backpack?
Bike(s) used on - CBR F4i
Recomendation -****4**** Comfy! Bewtween this and my tank bag Im set for a week of camping, minus beer of course. This thing holds 2 Sweaters, 4 or so shirts, a piar of sweats, 1 shorts, more socks, my trusty Nike sandals, a three piece fly rod my compaq laptop (its small 12"x10"x1 1/4") my backpackers tent (This thing rox! only 1.5kg pack weight!) Digi Cam, morning amenities such as ADVIL No need for a blanket, the beer/rye/vodka/tequilla keeps me warm and fuzzy nough.

I'm able to combined two things I really enjoy doing with ease thanks to these two items, as well as low hinderance from having the added "baggage" Hope that helps somewhat.....

·
Twin B
1,208 Posts
Type- tailbag
Maker- Wolfman Luggage
Model- Alpha

Comments- Great bag. As I've got high mount pipes, I couldn't buy a set of saddlebags without risking melting them. Plus, why fiddle with two bags, when you can fit so much more into this. Tons of room, the pic I've attached has two regular pillows within (testing fit). Straps are well placed easy on, easy off, however they do rest on the fairings on my bike, I put some gaffer tape down first and I was scuff free last year.

Bike(s) used on- VTR1000F
Recomendation- 4

·
Registered
969 Posts
Non-Magnetic Tank Bag Recommendations?

Does anyone have any recommendation for NON-MAGNETIC tank bags? I have an older Wolfman Magnetic Bag which is no good with my new plastic tank.

Thanks

ps I highly recommend the Wolfman Bag for those of you with metal tanks. It served me well for 7 years on my VFR750.

·
Registered Abuser
1,017 Posts
Oxford Sports Lifetime Luggage

I have the expander tank bag and the panniers. They are brand new and I haven't tried them yet because I don't want to mark the paint. Once I get chamois cloth for the straps I'll install the panniers and go out for a quick tour. I've used the tank bag. It's unbeatable. The quality of this product is excellent in appearance and workmanship! I believe it really is lifetime luggage. The set came with the bike so I can't give you the price, but it's a British product made to British standards.

http://www.oxprod.com

·
Born to sweep.
611 Posts
rubberhead said:
Oxford Sports Lifetime Luggage
http://www.oxprod.com
I can vouch for the Oxford panniers as well. I had them until I got the hard luggage for my Beemer. In some ways, the soft stuff was better (expandable, etc.). The Oxfords were very well made with lots of nice little touches.

·
contradiction incarnate
2,748 Posts
fz1 said:
Have you checked out motopak?

http://www.motopakluggage.com/index.html

I got the GT-35 and am very happy with it. Gives the Oxford a run for their money!
that good, huh?
yeah, I've been looking through their stuff too.

I'd really like to be able to check the pack out in person before buying, but *sigh* may not be that easy.

·
Registered
437 Posts
anyone sell the motopak luggage localy. I am looking for a set of the panniers and was thinking of the oxfords. I have seen them and they look very durable and practical. what are people using to protect bodywork from marking while riding with soft panniers?

·
Registered
245 Posts
I just bit the bullet and bought a bunch of MotoPak gear.

GT-20 tank bag
GTS-60 saddlebags
GT-Roll tail duffle bag.

for all three, the price came to about 275 CDN including shipping (he gave me 20% off for the package deal).

I'm going on the V-Star ride through Nakusp this weekend (I used to have a V-Star) so I'll be finding out real quick how it all works. I'll post my impressions.

So far, the gear looks well built (though some zippers seems suspect of lower quality) and the bags are totally packed with functional features.

RLK

21 - 40 of 58 Posts