BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

Motorcycle luggage and touring accessories reviews

77K views 57 replies 39 participants last post by  gc1226 
#1 · (Edited)
Motorcycle luggage AND TOURING ACCESSORIES reviews

Tankbags, saddle bags, tailbags combo bags. Hard or soft, magnetic or bubblegum hold downs. Let's hear about them all.

Please use the following headings to keep it consistent for easier browsing by the others. You can either "quote" this message and delete the quote controls and this text or highlight the headings and cut n' paste it into your own new reply.

PS: NOTE THAT THIS THREAD HAS BEEN EXPANDED TO INCLUDE TOURING RELATED ACCESSORIES. I'm mostly interested in seeing stuff that goes ON the bike. But some gear items like rainsuits, heated clothing and other weather related stuff is great too.

Type- tankbag, saddlebags, tailbag, hardbags, excursion pack. grips, clothing.
Maker-
Model-
Comments-
Bike(s) used on-
Recomendation-1-poor to 5 excellent

See less See more
#2 ·
Type-saddlebags
Maker-Joe Rocket
Model- Sport Saddle Bags (the only one they make)
Bike(s) used on- Kawi ZX-9R
Recomendation ranking-4 for function 5 for value.
Comments- A very nice wedge shaped high mount bag for use on sport bikes. The way they fit there's lots of room for the pipe as long as it's not a high mount. On my 9R the rear strap fits under the grab handles and sets up a very nice firm positioning. The bags DO rub on the tail fairing so a soft saddle blanket is a must but that's going to be a common factor with any soft luggage on a sport bike.

The bags hold a LOT of stuff for their side view size. This iis because they are quite wide. And that's without the expansion. With the expansion out you could easily pack enough for two up riding for a week of moteling or a weekend of camping as long as someone has a tent for you and yours. If riding single you won't ever have to use the expansion zips.

The zips don't have a good rain flap but they are in close to the center so your body will sheild them in all but serious downpours. For these conditions the set comes with a couple of vinyl covers but they are quite loose unless the bags are packed full in the expanded mode. If you plan on higher speeds with them on then I'd use the tie down strap idea below to ensure they don't flap hard or catch the wind and blow off. This zip and cover stuff is the only shortcoming to these bags. Other than this they are super heavy duty and are a joy to use.

Hint. If you DO use the expansion function the bags get quite floppy unless they are packed super tight. In this case use a tie down strap that drops down either side between the bags and the tail fairing and then up around the outside of the bags and ties together over the saddle. This can be used to compress the bags and also provides a lot of lift to straighten the bags out.

Highly recomended.

G
#3 ·
Type- Magnetic Tank Bag
Maker- Wolfman
Model- Wolf Mag
Bike(s) used on- Honda VTR and Kawi ZX-9R
Recommendation- 4

Comments-

Pros:

This is a great bag. Small and stiff enough to hold it's shape empty but expands to 16 ltrs for longer trips. Removable map holder and several exterior pockets.

There are 9 - 25 lb magnets in the base that keep the bag so secure that I did away with the safety strap after the first few trips. I have wheelie and high speed tested the fully loaded bag in the name of science with excellent results.

There is enough room for a pair of size 12 sandals, one pair jeans, one pair shorts, 2 tee shirts, 2 pairs of socks, 2 pairs underwear and a sweater in the expanded main compartment. (I pack carefully)

Cons:

It is expensive; I think I paid $160.00.

It does not come with a rain cover, which can be purchased separately.

Overall:

I highly recommend this bag. It makes overnight trips a breeze, is on and off the bike in seconds and it stays put! :thumbup

*Note* I have found that some magnetic bags don’t fit well on some bikes. Before you purchase any tank bag try it on your bike.

#4 ·
Re: Motorcycle luggage reviews

Type-Saddlebags

Maker- Ortlieb

Model-Dry Bag Saddlebags

Comments-There is nothing fancy about these bags. There are no pockets in them, just a main compartment. They are very robust in construction, utilizing the same material as a typical river runner dry bag and a roll-top closure; you can stuff them full of gear without worrying about seams ripping. They are 100% waterproof and there is no need to screw around with the cheap rain covers I've seen on some bags. Mounting was very solid with the supplied straps, but if you have no rear fender, it may be a challenge to find a good place for the rear mounting straps. These bags would probably be an excellent choice for a dual-sport rider (Aerostich sells a quick-release version that is compatible with a tubular mounting rack available from Happy Trails MC Products).

Bikes used on-VFR 750

Recommendation-all about function--I'll give them a 5

The bags are available in yellow or black.

#5 ·
Type-hard bags

Maker- GIVI

Model-E360 side/top cases

Comments-They are waterproof and far more convenient and secure than soft luggage. Hard bags are excellent for sport-touring, commuting, shopping...and serving as beer coolers--just fill the topcase with ice, pick up some beer, and everything will be chilled when you return to the campground, hotel room, etc. I'm much more comfortable leaving hard luggage on the bike when it is left unattended. Luggage removal is a simple matter of turning a key and pressing a button; the bags snap onto the rack with a simple "click". Wear on the luggage was negligible after ~80000km of use on my old bike.

There are a few downsides: the cases will make your bike wider, so keep that in mind when riding in close quarters; a very small amount of water will sometimes enter the bag when it is opened while mounted on the side of the bike (a small amount can pool by the latch); the initial investment is expensive, but you can move the bags from bike-to-bike very easily, and they are easily sold used.

Bike used on-VFR750

Recommendation-5 Expensive, but if you use your bike a great deal, you'll get plenty of use out of the bags. Highly recommended.

#55 ·
*UPDATE*

I bought these bags new in late 1997(?). I used them for several years on my VFR, before moving to a different bike. I sold the luggage to a friend who used it on his VFR. I eventually bought his VFR a few years ago, and got *my* luggage back. These bags must have spent close to 150,000km of time "on bike" since new, and continue to function without any trouble. Love 'em!

#8 ·
I saw a kickass ICON backpack/tankbag at the show. You can also strap your helmet to the bottom.
Before anyone pipes up, it's not the same as Joe Rocket's tank bag. I have that bag.

#10 · (Edited)
I can pack away three loads of laundry into my backpack. Hee hee. But then I don't have very far to go.;)

I thought about a tank bag, but then why would I take that little thing when I pack anything I want into my backpack. It rocks, by the way. Arc'teryx makes some pretty skookum packs. And it's not that cumbersome to ride with, I find. I don't know how safe it is in a fall...

Mountain Equipment Coop

:p

#11 ·
I got my hands on the 'speed pack'. As it turned out the honda center had a used one for sale. It is metalic grey and does not match my bike, but 200$can is a lot less than 265US+import stuff. It is the cheapest lockable storage solution I have found.

Are we putting pics in this thread?

-Sandworm

#12 ·
Sandworm said:
I got my hands on the 'speed pack'. As it turned out the honda center had a used one for sale. It is metalic grey and does not match my bike, but 200$can is a lot less than 265US+import stuff. It is the cheapest lockable storage solution I have found.

Are we putting pics in this thread?

-Sandworm
How about just a link to a website?

#13 · (Edited)
Type- Tankbag
Maker- Joe Rocket
Model- Sport Tank
Bike(s) used on- Yamaha 02 R6
Recomendation- 1-poor to 5 excellent - 4
Comments - Magnets seem to hold on fine, even with a full bag.

Good stuff:
The build quality of this bag is nice. Its 2 bags in one and can be zipped appart. Top part has a nice rubber pad to lay on when you're tired. :p Both top and bottom have map pockets.. :thumbup Top becomes a backpack when unzipped from the bottom. It also came with 3 rain covers. Nice antislip coating on the bottom along with 6 very strong magnets (3 per side).

Not so good stuff:
Im finding it difficult to zip the 2 parts together after I have taken them apart. The zipper seem a little light, but seem to work just fine. The magnetic parts over hang off of the sides of my Narrow R6 tank reducing magnetic effectiveness slightly.

All in all, I recomment this tank bag.
Cheers. :D

#14 · (Edited)
*******updated*********

http://store1.yimg.com/I/azmotorsports_1726_4335287

This thing ROCKS. At high speed you just forget that it is there. Since I cannot see it in my mirrors I keep reaching back to feel if it has fallen off. I am on the third incarnation of my strapping system for it, but I think I found a keeper. The strapping will be different for every bike. I'll be bringing the thing to joey's this thursday.

It looks like we don't have very many long-haul guys here. I have yet to find a sport-touring guy/girl who did not have strong and lengthy opinions on storage solutions.

-Sandworm

G
#15 ·
Type- Tankbag (magnetic)
Maker- Joe Rocket
Model- Sport Tank
Bike(s) used on- 92 Yamaha XJS600
Recomendation- 5 excellent
Comments- This was one of the first things that I purchased for my bike (I hate riding with a backpack) I found it the best value and best looking, my only complaint is that the handlebar strap isn't really necessary and gets in the way when you're too lazy to clip it on.

Type- Saddlebags (soft)
Maker- Oxford
Model- Sports Panniers
Bike(s) used on- same
Comments- These things are great, they look good, they expand large enough to take all of your camping gear and zip up nice and small when camp is setup. The rain covers don't seem very pratical for high speeds (haven't tried) I just line the bags with a garbage bag to keep everything dry.

G
#17 ·
I wear a back pack when dirt riding but am still a little wary of it. I try not to pack stuff that will stab me to death when I fall off:eek

For street use I don't bother with saddle bags or even use my tank bags that much anymore. I go to London Drugs and buy one of their cheap, large carry on type bags for less than $20 and stuff everything into garbage bags and then into the carry on. A cargo net and some bungees and I'm off.

The carry on usually only lasts a year before its worn out but at $20 a pop, who cares?

I got a hold of a bunch of commerical fishing net recently and am going to make some elasticized straps with hooks on them. Instant cargo net that will never wear out and snap on a trip like one did. I'll also use it to make a larger cargo net to secure stuff in the truck.

#18 ·
I'm going to have to start backpacking it until I get a new tank bag. I have a kinda no name bag, extendable, huge, very nice for long trips (you can rest on it). It doesn't stick to plastic however. I'm looking for a reasonable priced strap on that's a good size.

Suggestions?

#19 · (Edited)
So here is my throttlemiester (125am$ from sporttouringusa.com). It also comes with a matching bar-end for the left. As a cruise control it is second rate. As a bar-end it kicks.
You engage it by turning the bar-end (the steel bit on the end) towards you. This moves a piston (the brass thing in between) against the grip. To disengage it you turn it away from you. If you have hotgrips, as I do, it presses against the grip's side, if you have normal grips you must add a 'friction plate' that is provided with the kit.

Hotgrips..

Without hotgrips....

I was primarily looking to dampen some of the vibrations out of my clipons. It does this so well that I found myself riding faster since I was not getting the expected vibrations from the bike.

Don't get those soft neoprean grips, they don't stop vibration. Barends dampen vibration. That is why they are there. This is also why some harleys dont have them. :) :)

When it comes to cruise control the throttlemiester is not one. It does not hold a speed, but a throttle setting. It simply adds resistance to the throttle movement. You can still change the throttle position, but if you let it go it will not 'snap' back to idle. To utilize the throttle miester you MUST be on a flat, strait road such as highway one. You must also be alone. It should NEVER be used while riding in a group unless you are leading. With it turned on you cannot simply pull in the clutch and let go of the throttle. If I have to stop fast (bunny on the road) I just let it rev, that's what limiters are for.

It might seem to be an inconveniance, but when you are heading home on a cold highway, being able to streach out your right hand/wrist for a couple minutes at a time feels sooo gooood.

Remember to read all the warning labels.
-Sandworm

PS..

If you plan on ordering both hotgips and the throttlemeister do not tell them that you are doing this. The two companies will not sell you thier product if they know that you have installed the other. I don't know exactly why, everyone I have met has installed them together as a set.

#20 ·
Type- Tankbag
Maker- Joe Rocket
Model- Sport Tank
Bike(s) used on- Yamaha V-max
Recomendation- 1-poor to 5 excellent - 4
Comments - I've used it in the city going to school and or work, as well as going on longer 3 day trips... no complaints except in the city the the handlebar/ steering stem strap gets in the way, but can it be tucked into the main bag compartment. The 2 pieces easily zip together, but I only use the top piece for long rides. In the city the bottom part (the main piece that has the magnets) just barely fits notebooks which is helpful. I've tried to use a thin piece of felt between it and the tank (to prevent scratching the paint), but it doesnt hold well this way unless the steering stem strap is used.
No real complaints, but a slightly larger base size would be good for notebook duty :)

Type - Throttle Rocker
Maker - " "
Recomendation - 5
Comments- the Throttle Rocker is a simple plastic material "flap" which clips onto your throttle grip allowing you to lessen your grip on the throttle control as the palm of your hand takes some of the effort needed to keep the throttle open. Potentially much safer than a throttle lock and simple to install (all of 5 seconds) and cheap ~10 bucks or so. I only really use it on long droning rides where my cramped hand needs relief.
http://www.throttlerocker.com/

#21 ·
Type - Strap on Tank Bag
Maker - Teknic
Model - Deluxe
Bike(s) used on - 1990 FZR600
Recomendation - So far it's allright. I give it a 3 (1 poor, 5 good)
Comments - The instructions say 10lbs max. That's not even enough clothes for a weekend! As with most strap on's it tends to slide a bit. A little of that non-slip matting works good though and a result is that your tank (or tank cover on fizzers) doesn't get all skuffed up. Mounting was a little strange as my front strap goes around my steering stem right above the rad and the back strap goes under the seat off to one side.
http://www.teknicgear.com/pages/collections/luggage/deluxe_tank_bag.html

Type - Magnetic Tank Bag
Maker - no-name
Model - ???
Bike(s) used on - 1985 Kawasaki GPz305
Recomendation - 5
Comments - I bought this bag from BK last year. It's expandable at the top and the top zips off to boot. It's a huge bag and I used it on my trip to Port Hardy last year. Wonderful carrying capacity and because of the expanded height I could rest my chin on it on the highway. It has (I think) 4 magnets on each side and it doesn't move at all. If I could fit a steel tank on my fizzer I would use this bag again.

I'll try and get a pic of it.

#22 ·
Type- Tankbag (magnetic)
Maker- Gear
Model- Gear
Bike(s) used on- 03 Kawasaki ZX6R

Comment:
$75.00 excellent price,
Expandable, Removable magnetic base included. Both Magnetic and Storage case have map viewing compartments.
Storage cover has to side storage compartments and turns into a backpack, Also included is locking straps and shoulder strap

#24 ·
Pvt. BLOGGINS said:
Anyone try "Oxfords" yet? They look pretty good (tank and saddle bags)
Type- Tankbag (magnetic)
Maker- Oxford
Model- Oxford Sports Lifetime Luggage Compact Tankbag (OF660)
Bike(s) used on- 03 SV650S
Price - I paid $100.00 for it from my dealer when I picked up my bike.

I have an Oxford tankbag. The 10L one. It is nice. Has a map pocket on top. Also comes with a raincover and shoulder strap and zip out rucksack straps. It is magnetic, but has removable straps for plastic tanks.

One nice feature is that you can unzip the bag from the magnetic base, which just leaves the base on teh tank, which also has a map pocket on it. The bag also expands from being the same height at the front and rear, to increasing the height by approximately 4".

It is low and narrow at the front and high and wide at the rear. It also has one pocket on each side, running the whole length of the bag.

I use it around town when I am picking small things up or doong errands. It will hold several UK bike magazines in it.

http://www.oxprod.com/pages/compactlife.html

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.