BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

I would attend a Motorcycle Maintenance Clinic

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
2008 Yamaha FZ6
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello Everyone,

I'm wondering if anyone is interested in volunteering their time to hold a FREE motorcycle maintenance clinic? Example

Like me, I am sure there are many others here that would benefit and appreciate a few pointers. I would definitelty attend.

You don't have to know everything about a motorcycle to hold a clinic. Just hold a clinic for what you do know. Then maybe someone else can hold a clinic for what they know. Etc... End the end, we'll all learn a little something and make riding more fun and a safer experience.

Who would be willing to hold a clinic?

Who would attend?

The more input the better.

Cheers,

Eric

·
Registered
489 Posts
Another +1 for Bernie. He has two classes: the 101 where he shows you maintenance tips on a motorcycle in shop and the 201 where you bring your own bike and you perform your own maintenance on your bike under his supervision.

Both classes highly recommended.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
where can I find such a clinic? I know randy and the mechanic at orca bay do this as well but I think it was just for the women.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Does Bernie go over how to change chain & sprockets?

Thanks...
I would email Bernie (PRSmecahic). The stuff he usually goes over is the basic motorcycle maintenance (changing oil, lubricating clutch cable, checking and lubricating drive chain). Ask if he would be willing to go over changing chain and sprockets in one of his classes.

·
Chronic
4,472 Posts
Thanks for the kind reviews.
True, it's not free, but after 11 years, I think I have a very good idea of what riders should know, and what they can safely try until they learn right from wrong.
In 4 hours I can straighten out a lot of the advice you get on here!
It's at Pacific Riding School, but I do take people from BCSB, as long as you're polite and courteous to the other students.
I do hold occasional Ladies Only courses, but I practice old school respect, so beginners, woman, young and old will find it relaxed but informative. Questions are encouraged.
If you find someone who actually knows their stuff, and as important, is good at passing on to you advice you can understand and use, that's good, as long as you learn.
If not, my course is 4 hours now, I have props and a good outline, and you should save more than the $60 the first year.
I can send you a bit more info if you like.

As for changing chain and sprockets, I can do that at the end of class, no problem, but it's not as thrilling as you might think ;-)

Thanks
[email protected]

·
2008 Yamaha FZ6
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
PRSmechanic... More info needed

PRSmechanic,

Thank you for the information and yes, can you please post some more specific information in regards to what, when, where and how much does your class(s) cost? How to sign up? Etc...

I am interested in learning more about the maintenance end of my motorcycle, motorcycles in general and your help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Eric

In addition, again if there is anyone that can volunteer their time and share their motorcycle maintenance skills in a group setting, that would be great.

·
Chronic
4,472 Posts
Eric, I think it's smart that you want to increase your knowledge about your bike. I can't believe how many people own fast bikes, and don't even know the proper tire pressures for their bike. There are right answers, close answers, debaitable ones, and just plain dumb advice. You see a lot of the latter ones here unfortunately:devillook
A clinic is good only if the information is sound and practical.

The class is $50, runs for 4 hours, and I teach it at Pacific Riding School. It's for their students, but I have no problem having other people there, as long as they are there to politely participate and learn.
Tires/tire care/sizing/pressures, chains/sprocket/lube/chain slack, electrical/battery, controls and adjustment, cable lubing, brakes/pads/fluid/, some suspension, oil/filter/oil changes, how a 4-stroke works, and a few other thngs, depending upon itme and interest. It's a busy 4 hours, but lots of fun.
You email me at [email protected], and I let you know when I'm running the next ones.
The 201 (you bring your own bike and practice what we learned in 101) is also run when I have enough interested people.

Thanks
Bernie

1 - 11 of 11 Posts