BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The muni elections are roughly 4 weeks from now. If you live in Vancouver (or even if you don't), please remember to bring the issue of motorcycle parking up with your council hopefuls. Everybody knows by now that it's VISION Vancouver's objective to eventually ban anything with a tailpipe. Consequently, virtually all available public street space in the city is designated as high cost parking for cagers. We've got some space (220 spots) designated for motorcycles but progress on that front ceased to move forward about a year ago. Many spaces that have been designated also have high cost meters. Transportation 2040, Vancouver's blueprint for future transportation, left out motorcycles entirely from the report. Suggestion: Please bring up the issue with candidates in person or at all candidates meetings so that no matter who wins, they will know it is an issue. It will make our job easier to follow up post election. Follow us on twitter @MCPARKING, on Facebook (MCPARKING), or the website at mcparking.ca. Thanks.

·
I like traffic cones :S
15,773 Posts
can motorcycles help build more condos? no? then moonbeam doesnt care.

·
Registered
6,183 Posts
Thank the heavens above I don't pay property taxes to Vancouver City Hall. I'd grind my teeth down to nubbins in doing so.

·
Formerly kanelupis
5,252 Posts
Actually, motorcycles can build more condos.

Motorcycles should be promoted as a way to overcome the traffic infrastructure limitation problem, in the pursuit of eco-density.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Motorcycles should be promoted as a way to overcome the traffic infrastructure limitation problem, in the pursuit of eco-density.
We definitely got our foot in the door with the small eco footprint argument. However, Engineering said they stopped adding parking last year when they received noise complaints from West End residents who claimed adjacent parking spaces attracted more motorcycle traffic. Those were the free spaces attracting motorcycles, while the metered spaces continued to go empty. One of the busiest (free) spaces in town at Alberni and Bute was removed. According to engineering, truck drivers were complaining they couldn't make a turn west onto Alberni from southbound Bute.

·
Formerly kanelupis
5,252 Posts
Thus: I'm all for SIGNIFICANT crack down on motorcycle noise, trade for more privileges.

And by significant, I mean: fuck all of you who run loud pipes. This is why we can't have nice things.

·
Registered Luser
2,115 Posts
catering to motorcyclists is even stupider than catering to cyclists. it's such a tiny subset of totally impractical transportation that even the discussion is a total waste of taxpayer resources.

on an unrelated note, I would like to see exclusive parking for my dildo powered monowheel

ITSP.jpg

·
15,773 Posts
Thanks to those hipster "lords" and pirate assholes no doubt.

Steve, if you only had 25k per set to pay for dinner with mr moonbeam, you could have voiced your concerns.... along with the rest of the developers.

Who wouldnt like more grey towers going up obstructing viee of the mountains. Pffft. Natural beauty of Vancouver.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Motorcycles aren't even on the radar for municipal planning/engineering departments let alone city councillors and mayors. That being said it would be really nice if they gave us some consideration.

Anyhow, I'd trade upwards densificaton over urban sprawl and more cars any day of the week.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Motorcycles? Hell, when the bike lanes went in they decimated the commercial vehicle loading zones. Trying to work downtown can be hell at times.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
catering to motorcyclists is even stupider than catering to cyclists. it's such a tiny subset of totally impractical transportation that even the discussion is a total waste of taxpayer resources.

on an unrelated note, I would like to see exclusive parking for my dildo powered monowheel

View attachment 120537
There is no one solution for transit. It comes in many forms. The point is that motorcycles have been EXCLUDED entirely from the Transportation Plan for Vancouver. Cars, bikes, buses, taxis, other transit, pedestrians etc. are included but not motorcycles. Why do you suppose? http://vancouver.ca/files/cov/Transportation_2040_Plan_as_adopted_by_Council.pdf

·
15,773 Posts
it is a crime to silence the V4.

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
we are fortunate to have motorcycle parking in our building. Existing car parking spaces were repainted to provide 4 new motorcycle parking spaces. But this was only because we have a large motorcycling workforce here (large, I mean about 6!!!!) I parking in one.

·
Registered
8,759 Posts
Motorcycles? Hell, when the bike lanes went in they decimated the commercial vehicle loading zones. Trying to work downtown can be hell at times.
this, trying to make a delivery on 10tonne truck became an absolute nightmare...

big words, big dreams... guess you havent noticed who really runs the province, ICBC would never allow it, much better profit margins bible thumping about how dangerous we all are...
everybody in politics is too chicken shit to challenge the status-quo... car sales / manufacturer's have way more lobbying power than a few bikers ever will anyway...

but good luck with that :thumbup

1 - 16 of 16 Posts