BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have made some great progress in terms of securing parking for riders in Vancouver. So far we have approximately 300 spaces allocated (most fitting 3 to 8 motorcycles) in Vancouver. Pricing needs to be worked on. Many riders are still unaware of the work to secure space for motorcycles in Vancouver. To help spread the word (besides the website, Facebook, Twitter and Youtube) we now have business cards available at Carter Motorsports, Urban Wasp, Metro Vespa and Daytona Motorsports (Vancouver)... and soon to be other dealers. Please pick up the cards and give them to fellow riders to help spread the word.
BCCOM-MotorcycleParkingCard-115362.jpg

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
I've had some frank discussions with Jerry Dobrovolny in the Engineering department and he said to call 311 if you see particular spots you want converted to motorcycle parking. the more people call into 311, then the city will act on it. This is the only way they will know where to put them and what type of demand there is. He also said there is no guarantee there will be a meter on it, but if there are already meter spaces for cars, it's pretty sure there will be a meter on the motorcycle parking. No discussion about the rates though.

so call in and let the city know where you want the spaces.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
... he said to call 311 if you see particular spots you want converted to motorcycle parking. the more people call into 311, then the city will act on it. This is the only way they will know where to put them and what type of demand there is. ... so call in and let the city know where you want the spaces.
I also recommend snapping a pic with your cell phone also and emailing with location. You can email Randy Zeegers in Engineering at [email protected]

They are responsive and want this to work...

We've crossed one hurdle which was to get the city to recognize the need and encourage motorcycles. Pricing is still an issue....

·
countdown to next crash..
2,658 Posts
I also recommend snapping a pic with your cell phone also and emailing with location. You can email Randy Zeegers in Engineering at [email protected]

They are responsive and want this to work...

We've crossed one hurdle which was to get the city to recognize the need and encourage motorcycles. Pricing is still an issue....
I'm not downtown enough anymore to know which locations would be most popular to have motorcycle parking, and I don't mind paying for it, however I would like to see an even lower cost for the times I do want to go downtown on the bike. Good luck

·
Registered
708 Posts
I'm not downtown enough anymore to know which locations would be most popular to have motorcycle parking, and I don't mind paying for it, however I would like to see an even lower cost for the times I do want to go downtown on the bike. Good luck
Use pay by phone, it recognizes the 'S' plate as being a motorcycle and automatically deducts 50%. Pretty sweet IMHO.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I remember when motorcycle parking spots were free. Theres still some, buts its now mostly pay parking with those green capped meters, unless your a crappy scooter then its free. I talked to a by-law enforcement guy and asked how it worked. Yeah if you call and pay by phone for meters is 50% off. If theres more than 1 person parking in a meter spot you have to pay the meter or else the person who paid by phone will be the only person who doesnt get a ticket. Now those free spots are way over crowded and the green capped meters are ALWAYS empty.

EDIT: Wow basically my observations are identical to what the website says

I see a lot of bikes just squeezing at the end of a block where the last meter has about 10 meters of space. Gastown is notorious for this stuff. Bikes squeezed everywhere

·
padawan
1,942 Posts
Knuckles - not quite:

According to the City's Motorcycle Parking page:

Space sharing

If there is already a motorcycle or scooter in a parking space, you can share the spot if there is room. The rules are:

• All vehicles must fit within the painted lines
  • Only one vehicle needs to pay for the spot
  • If the meter expires, all vehicles in the space will receive a ticket
So check the amount of time left on the meter, and if you're going to be there longer than that, top it up.

BTW, there's "PayByPhone" apps for Android and iOS.

--------------------------------

Also, it's only electric scooters that are free - gas scooters pay the same as motorcycles.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Yeah, I was told only one person needs to pay. I didnt know gas scooters had to pay. Also I usually park outside the line. Its my grade 3 coloring habits come to haunt me, could just never color within the lines. But in all honesty I do park outside the line in the free spot I found and pray I dont get a ticket.

YOu think if we complain enough we could turn those greencaps back to free spots?

·
padawan
1,942 Posts
BTW - I figger the end of every city block should be reserved as free motorcycle parking - especially because bikes don't impede sight lines like cages do.

I'm not mentioning that out of parking self-interest, I'm all about Safety First!!

No, really! :devillook

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
BTW - I figger the end of every city block should be reserved as free motorcycle parking - especially because bikes don't impede sight lines like cages do.

I'm not mentioning that out of parking self-interest, I'm all about Safety First!!

No, really! :devillook
That's a good point, along with the facts that the spots are/were non-revenue generating to begin with, that motorcycles should be encouraged as a fuel efficient, environmentally friendly (for the most part) solution for transportation, and that there are many other cities worldwide that offer free parking.

·
padawan
1,942 Posts
OK, and talking about impeding sight lines, I'm gonna throw something out there that could be somewhat controverial.

Grendel's Modest Proposal:
- whereas: all rider and driver training materials recommend viewing several seconds down the road to anticipate potential hazards; and
- whereas: taller vehicles impede these views for other road users; and
- whereas: tinted windows impede these views for other road users; and
- whereas: motorcycles and scooters impede views far less than any other licensed road users
- let it be resolved: that ICBC implement surcharges for vehicles based on the above factors in the interests of enhanced road safety (baseline is a mid-sized sedan).

I know this is gonna piss off all the people with their blacked-out Escalades and F350s and Hummers and all the FUVs etc.

But Boo Feckin' Hoo. :devillook

·
Ridin Dirty
5,011 Posts
OK, and talking about impeding sight lines, I'm gonna throw something out there that could be somewhat controverial.

Grendel's Modest Proposal:
- whereas: all rider and driver training materials recommend viewing several seconds down the road to anticipate potential hazards; and
- whereas: taller vehicles impede these views for other road users; and
- whereas: tinted windows impede these views for other road users; and
- whereas: motorcycles and scooters impede views far less than any other licensed road users
- let it be resolved: that ICBC implement surcharges for vehicles based on the above factors in the interests of enhanced road safety (baseline is a mid-sized sedan).

I know this is gonna piss off all the people with their blacked-out Escalades and F350s and Hummers and all the FUVs etc.

But Boo Feckin' Hoo. :devillook
I prefer less laws to more, but I have to say it pisses me off to no end when I see these completely blacked out vehicles, especially when I had to remove a modest "legal" tint from my Front Windows in order to license my Ontario Car in BC....

·
One of these days....
183 Posts
Yes... we'll be going back to council next Spring for a pricing review.
My beef with the green bike meters lies in the whole 'share the meter' policy.

I work downtown and start early, meaning I'd typically be the first bike to the spot and be the guy paying. If I put a bunch of money in the meter for the day, everyone else (typically these spots have room for three or more bikes per meter) gets to park for free. If I just put a little money in, the other bikers might (or might not) add some money, but I'd be risking a ticket. I can't run out from work every couple hours to check the meter.

This share the meter policy might work for a bunch of buddies parking together for a couple of hours, but it doesn't work for most of us parking downtown for work.

A analogy (or basically the same thing) would be a bunch of car parking spots covered by a single meter. Whoever gets there first gets to pay for everyone else. I don't think this would fly with the public. Not sure what the city was thinking, except this allows them to spend less on installing meters.

PS: I've questioned the city a few times on this by email, but received no response.

·
padawan
1,942 Posts
Yeah, the share the meter policy isn't optimal because, sadly, most people are too cheap to chip in.

One suggestion: use PayByPhone to get the 50% discount, and enable the option to receive a text message before it expires. That way you can top it up without having to run around.

Maybe put a note on your bike: "Hey, if you're going to share my spot, please chip in. I've already paid for the first 2 hours."

·
Formerly kanelupis
5,252 Posts

I work downtown and start early, meaning I'd typically be the first bike to the spot and be the guy paying.
Simple: Pay by phone.

Not only do you not have to pay for other ppl's bikes, you get 50% off the meter.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Actually, the beef should be with the fact there are METERS. Per my earlier post, there's no reason for them other than to satisfy the ideological needs of some on council. They (council) might argue the need based on managing demand or cost recovery, however there's NO SHORTAGE of MCPARKING other than an artificial one created by the city and there would be no cost recovery necessary if they hadn't gone the expensive route of painting, signaging and metering the spaces that were dead space to begin with. All they had to do was change a bylaw and be done with it.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts