BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Tai-Pan
3,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok what is with all the highway signs that have been programed to read "MOTORCYCLISTS WATCH YOUR SPEED"...."RIDE SAFELY"

What the hell is this? Maybe they should read Minivan drivers pay fuckin attention! or Blonde drivers put down your phone!
Or how about Prius drivers move over please. (feel free to add more we can submit them to the ministry of highways later)

Does anyone else find this somewhat insulting? Like it is only Motorcycle riders who need to watch their speed?What about the asshats in the beemers and audi's?

·
Resident Contrarian
634 Posts
Yeah I saw that this morning, wasn't impressed. The "speed" part of that bugs me the most - tell that to the minivan drivers with Kids in the back who do impound speeds.

Every morning on my commute in I see people on phones, cars swerving due to texting, women putting on make up, etc. Heck, on my way home today the car in front of me side swiped the barrier diving eastbound and westbound at Brunette. He'd been swerving in his lane for a bit, probably texting, and as the corner curved left he went completely into the wall and then continued driving. Mirror came right off and is probably still sitting there.

·
Tai-Pan
3,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is this somehow part of motorcycle awareness month? Are they now suddenly aware of motorcycles and they see them as speeders and feel obliged to tell everybody?
Paging Bccom..... WTF?

·
Registered
806 Posts
I agree that the message feels a little bit derogatory towards motorcyclists, as if we're all shitty road users who always speed and constantly break the law. Interesting that there are no signs targeting the guy I followed home driving his lifted toyota 4runner with a tail light out, swerving all over the place, passing another vehicle on the shoulder, and switching lanes a number of times without signalling.

·
Registered
3,410 Posts
Seen "Motorcyclist watch your speed" yesterday just after portmann bridge (going towards Vancouver). I thought it was because roads were so shitty, full of bumps and dips and dirt and crap due to the construction, that it was warning motorcyclists of the dangers. Never thought of it as being said in the way others mentioned.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I'm pretty sure there for the many squids wearing their white tube socks and low cut white sneakers lane splitting between motorcycles on a completely empty highway.

Either way it was an idle threat that you have it over 40 km/hr your going to be impounded. I say idle because I passed by a couple of those signs and saw the only cop at a station.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Seen "Motorcyclist watch your speed" yesterday just after portmann bridge (going towards Vancouver). I thought it was because roads were so shitty, full of bumps and dips and dirt and crap due to the construction, that it was warning motorcyclists of the dangers. Never thought of it as being said in the way others mentioned.
I've seen the same thing last year along the #1 during construction.
But it also said "road grooved ahead"

·
Registered
8,725 Posts
Is this somehow part of motorcycle awareness month? Are they now suddenly aware of motorcycles and they see them as speeders and feel obliged to tell everybody?
Paging Bccom..... WTF?
Too funny,
Sportbikes don't support BCCOM, but aren't shy about asking for help. :p

·
Green
2,290 Posts
I brought it up with her this morning, unfortunately it was lost in between us calling each other idiots.

Not sure what BCCOM focuses on but Adele said the signs are a direct reflection of fatalities... Whatever that means.

·
I like traffic cones :S
15,773 Posts
how about

Police Officers - Signal when changing lanes!

·
Insert User Title Here.
4,868 Posts
Ya, fishy you're outnumbered on this one. I was thinking the exact same thing there Zombie. They've altered the wording this year. For sure.

·
++++++
382 Posts
Ya, well I was lectured for ~10 minutes about how unpredictable we motorcyclists are, how we lack the special skills and training to drive properly and how we are recklessly endangering ourselves and the general public. Apparently this is all true even when our bikes are standing still...

Needless to say this isn't really helping our public image; so much for civil servants maintaining impartiality. Clearly the powers that be elected to cite speed as being exclusively responsible for all motorcycle collisions.

1 - 20 of 76 Posts