BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

181 - 200 of 224 Posts

·
Fastronaut
6,508 Posts
Lots of freaking goats on Westside. Most I've seen. Group of them on the outside of a sharp corner scared the crap outta me. Made me gun-shy the rest of the ride. Buggers.

If I ever disappear from the forum I've probably smoked a deer, bear, goat, horse, or a ffnn testicle truck on my side of the corner. Buggers.
The sheep there have never really bugged me they've always kept off the pavement. Deer though when headed South and just the reserve a few close calls there.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Two of those sheep in my photo were smack dab in my lane when I came upon them. I had to go in the oncoming lane to get by them. I was worried the buggers might have a go at me. Westside Rd is not nearly as fun as Hwy 6 to me, but if I have to go to Kelowna it beats the hell out of hwy97.

I think the false laser that i got Thursday(and the one I got today on my commute home on Hwy 6) are the illegal laser jammers. I had a car let me by right before a couple of real nice corners so I laid into it some and as I came around the first big sweeper I got lit up hard by laser and the only thing coming my way or around was a sport touring bike and as I was practicing emergency braking while cornering I swear he was the one. The signal ended as if it was coming from him. *

So how are people rolling around with these illegal setups? * And not getting busted and thrown in the slammer?

I'm not a fan of laser jammers at all now that I'm potentially getting lit up by them. *

·
Registered
8,228 Posts
So how are people rolling around with these illegal setups? * And not getting busted and thrown in the slammer?

I'm not a fan of laser jammers at all now that I'm potentially getting lit up by them. *
LOLOL

Same way people do the myriad of illegal things without getting caught ..... it doesn't happen until they run across the wrong cop. But they aren't very common. I've run across two in 10 years. Most people have enough functioning brain cells to avoid doing something that stupid.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Hit up Westside Rd again yesterday. No wildlife and very little traffic. Seems Monday is a good day for it. The section with the lumpy/sunken pavement can be a handful. I will say second time thru in a matter of days and with the quietness of it I enjoyed it a lot more. A few fine spots on that road for sure.*

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Saw a rare sight last weekend. Motorcycle cop between Osoyoos and Rock Creek. I had gotten the cop signal from another biker so was expectant. My R1 might have given me 1/2 klick warning. He didn't wave I didn't wave. They can ticket you for removing hand from steering if I remember right although the local guy waves. Never saw a police bike so far out of town.

·
Fastronaut
6,508 Posts
Saw a rare sight last weekend. Motorcycle cop between Osoyoos and Rock Creek. I had gotten the cop signal from another biker so was expectant. My R1 might have given me 1/2 klick warning. He didn't wave I didn't wave. They can ticket you for removing hand from steering if I remember right although the local guy waves. Never saw a police bike so far out of town.
I don't think a ticket for waving would stand. You can remove a hand to indicate turns.

Now if you did a horn mono then maybe you'd get note in the mail.

·
Registered
8,759 Posts
I don't think a ticket for waving would stand. You can remove a hand to indicate turns.

Now if you did a horn mono then maybe you'd get note in the mail.
agreed.. thats kinda reaching there. i often see bikers riding one handed as copper drive by and nobody cares.

how is it any different from driving with one arm on the door with window open.?

·
Registered
581 Posts
I've waved at a few motorcycle cops. I would hope they'd have better things to do then ticket me for it. Most don't wave back it seems.*

Just went overnight to grand coulee and back and not a single radar enforcement was encountered. Crossed at midway and did Hwy 33 on the Canadian side there and back. Was my first time on hwy 33 in about 20plus years. *What a fantastic blazingly fast road.*

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
I spend quite a bit of time on 33. Lot's of enforcement around Big White. The Midway cops will set up on the straights outside of Beaverdell. Small town cops are bored and tend to watch for speedsters so anywhere between Greenwood and Beaverdell is game on. It is rare to see them but locals say long weekends are prime time. I avoid long weekend rides.

I remember a story about someone getting a ticket for not having both hands on the bars. Probably here and probably bs. I couldn't find anything mentioned in motorcycle law which they beefed up a few years ago.

·
Registered
581 Posts
We hit it at a good time then. On the way down the road was mostly dry after the rain we saw Wednesday and almost no traffic from Kelowna to beaverdell and then on to rock creek was quiet too. On the way back the road was dry and quiet. Probably got lucky on my timing.

My earbud radar setup is fantastic. Alerts clear and loud at any speed. I know this not from having being hit by radar much. But from the OCD habit I've developed of hitting the volume button to 'test' everything is still operational.

·
Super Moderator
9,052 Posts
We hit it at a good time then. On the way down the road was mostly dry after the rain we saw Wednesday and almost no traffic from Kelowna to beaverdell and then on to rock creek was quiet too. On the way back the road was dry and quiet. Probably got lucky on my timing.

My earbud radar setup is fantastic. Alerts clear and loud at any speed. I know this not from having being hit by radar much. But from the OCD habit I've developed of hitting the volume button to 'test' everything is still operational.
We all develop "ticks"......its very distinctive.......

·
Registered
97 Posts
Enforcement between Osoyoos and Rock Creek? Aye aye aye, that's a sad day. I travel Highway 3 to Christina Lake 8 -10 x a year and I have never seen a single officer in the last five years on that stretch. Based on my observations, the Osoyoos detachment stays in town and the Midway detachment I don't see, period.

The only place I've ever seen specific speed enforcement between Osoyoos and Grand Forks is in Greenwood, enforcing the 50 or 60 zone.

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
The only place I've ever seen specific speed enforcement between Osoyoos and Grand Forks is in Greenwood, enforcing the 50 or 60 zone.
...which is fair enough. don't speed in towns, simple. that's what 'remote' highways are for!

·
Registered
8,228 Posts
Enforcement between Osoyoos and Rock Creek? Aye aye aye, that's a sad day. I travel Highway 3 to Christina Lake 8 -10 x a year and I have never seen a single officer in the last five years on that stretch. Based on my observations, the Osoyoos detachment stays in town and the Midway detachment I don't see, period.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBs21CFBALI

·
Fastronaut
6,508 Posts
...which is fair enough. don't speed in towns, simple. that's what 'remote' highways are for!
And that is where they really grab those low hanging fruit.

We all know the ones; red and white plates from a bit to the East that do 40kph when there's a curve in the road and then jack it back up to 140 when they see a big downhill just before Bugtussle.

·
Original Pirate Material
1,071 Posts
Big thanks to CDG for the great conversations around this topic as well as the use of his many different lengthed, shaped, clamped, and screwed world of the RAM BALLs .

The hardware:

i) 2xBT dongles with transmitting and receiving capabilities. Must be with low latency ie: https://www.amazon.com/TaoTronics-Bluetooth-Transmitter-Receiver-Simultaneously/dp/B01EHSX28M
ii) Uniden R1, latest firmware, settings slightly modified from KMPH recommendations as mentioned earlier in this thread.
iii) Ram mounts of assorted types
iv) Cardo Packtalk
v) In-ear safety headphones
vi) In-helmet speakers that came with the Cardo Packtalk

The setup:

On the bike, Uniden R1 connected via 3.5mm jack to BT dongle #1 (BT1) acting as a transmitter. Transmitter is velcro'd to the top of the radar, and the radar is velcro'd to the ram mount plate. RD is hardwired and has a couple of usb micro cables adjoining the stalk for charging of cardo/BT dongles.

On the helmet, Cardo Packtalk is adhesive mounted and will be connected via 3.5mm jack to safety headphones. In-helmet speakers are placed in speaker cavities and connected to the BT dongle #2 (BT2) that is velcro'd to the back of the helmet.

Full Cardo communication is maintained as well as the ability to enjoy music/podcast/whatever at a reasonable volume. Audio alerts from the detector are maintained and one is alerted without having to withdraw visual focus. The detector is mounted on the left side, high and forward, between the visual field height of the mirrors and gauges. It can be reached as well without redirection of visual focus as it is in the lower peripheral field of view.

Speakers are loud enough that others can oftentimes hear the alerts over my Cardo transmissions (via my mic). Thanks to Squisher, I modified your idea with the BT headphones.

181 - 200 of 224 Posts