BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just read the sticky about tire reviews and it's mostly for race/sportbikes
:(. I ride mostly highways and city (commute to and from work) but also do occasional group rides on days off. I'm at 12,000km's on Bt-014's on an 02 SV650 and the rear is at about the halfway point, maybe slightly below halfway. The front is excellent 80% left. Is that good for mileage for a sport tourer (for the rear that is)? I like the 014's but if there's other tires that's better for mileage i wouldn't mind getting those. I am looking at the dunlop 205, metzeler sportec M-1, Metzeler M1 and Michelin Pilot Sports... anybody had experience with these tires on a sport-tourer bike?

Thanks for any input

·
contradiction incarnate
2,748 Posts
The BT020 will supposedly give you better mileage while still maintaining a good amount of grip.

·
Registered
551 Posts
bboylanky said:
.. I'm at 12,000km's on Bt-014's on an 02 SV650 and the rear is at about the halfway point, maybe slightly below halfway. The front is excellent 80% left.
Wow, 12k and almost half left in the rear? That's very good! The 014 rear on my SV was down to the wear bar at ~8500 kms (due to squidly straight line acceleration). I think the rest of your rear tire will be wearing out pretty quickly. Like slam says, you can replace just your rear tire with an 020 (if it is still available) to get more mileage. The 010/014 front and 020 rear seems to make for a popular combo.

I currently have about 8k on the Michelin Pilot Roads. The rear looks like it is at the half way point.

If I got 12k out of 014s, I would've stuck with them.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Napolean, how do you like the michelin pilot road? Good grip? I like the Bt-014's grip... however i am biased since I'm comparing it to the stock metzeler's.

Slam, thanks for the tip, i'll look into it

·
Member #899
2,611 Posts
Can you still get the Pilot Sports? I thought they replaced them with the PP's... I bought these tires last year & they seem to be giving me some miles. They're a great predictable tire. I had the BT's on my Bandit... I think that I got 24,000 Km on them (I was pushing it though).

·
Registered
551 Posts
bboylanky said:
Napolean, how do you like the michelin pilot road? Good grip? I like the Bt-014's grip... however i am biased since I'm comparing it to the stock metzeler's.
At temperature, I don't find the Road any less grippy than the 014. Since the Pilot Road is a sport touring tire unlike the 014 sport tire, the profile is different. You may or may not like the sport touring profile that gives you a 'progressive feel' during cornering. I find that if you try to ride like you are on sport tires, the tire starts to resist leaning and you have to really force down the front. The 014 falls into corner with ease obviously, since it is designed for sport riding.

All in all, I am happy with the tires. The extra mileage makes up for any other perceived shortcomings. Good luck!

·
Premium Member
11,195 Posts
Pilot Road or similar in any other brand sounds like what you need. If you made the 014's last this long for that little wear then you've never seen their maximum grip and never will most likely.

R

·
0 Posts
I'm in the market for a new rear BT45 tire. Where's a good place to purchase/get it installed? Seems like there are some horror stories out there o.o

·
Ride Solo
4,214 Posts
Ratzilla said:
I'm in the market for a new rear BT45 tire. Where's a good place to purchase/get it installed? Seems like there are some horror stories out there o.o
Try 5th Gear in Richmond.

R

·
0 Posts
TeeTee said:
Pilot Road or similar in any other brand sounds like what you need. If you made the 014's last this long for that little wear then you've never seen their maximum grip and never will most likely.
Totaly agree!
if you can stretch 014's so long, you should try 020's, or equivalent. seems like you don't need all the grip.

·
Registered
913 Posts
GF has 17,000 kms on her stock Pilot Sports on her 600RR, being replaced this week by Pilot Powers.

I have 12,000 kms on my pilot powers for my 600RR and they are still going strong at about 40% tread left. Replacing those just cuz i have a plug in the rear and want that xtra piece of mind.

·
Jason #8,946,528
305 Posts
The Metzeler Z6s are great sport-touring tires. I put on 13,000kms(with approx. 30-40% of tread left) before switching to Pilot Powers for the spring. I will be switching back to the Z6s for my summer vacation, as I will be riding to Newfoundland and back.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
TeeTee said:
Ya, I don't think i'll need the extra grip, so I will be going for the pilot road.

·
contradiction incarnate
2,748 Posts
here's a nice little grouping of tire models and suggested applications.

Sport Touring: When mileage is as important as performance.

Avon AV45/46-ST

Bridgestone BT-020

Dunlop D220

Metzeler Roadtec Z6

Michelin Macadam 100X

Pirelli Dragon GTS

Sport: The latest sticky buns for street use.

Avon AV49/50-SP

Dunlop D208ZR

Bridgestone BT-014

Maxxis SuperMaxx

Metzeler ME Z3

Michelin Pilot Road

Pirelli Dragon EVO

High-Performance Sport: Street riding with the occasional track day.

Avon AV49/50-Pro Series

Bridgestone BT012SS

Dunlop D207RR
Dunlop D208GP-JLB
Metzeler Sportec M-1

Michelin Pilot Race H2

Pirelli Diablo and Diablo Corsa

DOT Race: The ultimate in grip for the track.

Bridgestone BT002

Dunlop D208GP A

Metzeler Rennsport

Michelin Pilot Race S2 and M2

Pirelli Super Corsa

1 - 18 of 18 Posts