BC Sport Bikes Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi y'all,

I used to live in a house rental, washing my bike was never an issue then. Now that I live in an apartment Downtown keeping my ride clean is such a hassle. I've asked several wash and detail places if they can wash my bike, cash in hand, and they all say, 'we do no bikes yo'.

Any ideas on where to find a coin-operated car wash where I can handle the hose. I'd be happy with that.

(ps The other threads are 4 years old)

·
Registered
3,410 Posts
Are you sure your building doesnt have wash bay somewhere? Mine is on the last floor of the garage. They have hose and such there. My folks have it outside of their building, in the back alley. There is a box that when opened has a hose.

Dont know of any places around dt that you could use. Good luck.

·
Three hour tour guide
8,750 Posts
There's a coin operated wash wand and spray at the Husky station #3 and Blundell in Richmond.

·
Registered
603 Posts
There used to be one a block or two south of Imperial, on the east side of Royal Oak in BBY

"Royal Oak Carwash" 6900 Royal Oak. I haven't been there for a couple years. Still there, maybe?

Is there one at 716 12th street in New Westminster, still? Again, haven't been there in a long time.

·
Registered
510 Posts
There used to be one a block or two south of Imperial, on the east side of Royal Oak in BBY

"Royal Oak Carwash" 6900 Royal Oak. I haven't been there for a couple years. Still there, maybe?

Is there one at 716 12th street in New Westminster, still? Again, haven't been there in a long time.
The one in New West is still there, i frequent it, but its not terribly convenient for anyone living downtown Van or west of there. I find my bike gets washed very infrequently throughout the winter months because there just isnt anywhere good to wash it when the weather is the shits. In the summer its not so bad to take a ride out to. I think its a conspiracy, because Vancouver is the only place i've been to that just doesnt have any coin-op self wash operations, its a little ridiculous.

·
Registered
3,410 Posts
I think its a conspiracy, because Vancouver is the only place i've been to that just doesnt have any coin-op self wash operations, its a little ridiculous.
yeah, there used to be few gas stations that had coin op car wash, but they shut down a while ago. Not sure why Van doesnt have any anymore.

·
Registered
603 Posts
The one in New West is still there, i frequent it, but its not terribly convenient for anyone living downtown Van or west of there. I find my bike gets washed very infrequently throughout the winter months because there just isnt anywhere good to wash it when the weather is the shits. In the summer its not so bad to take a ride out to. I think its a conspiracy, because Vancouver is the only place i've been to that just doesnt have any coin-op self wash operations, its a little ridiculous.
There used to be a tiny one hidden away just off of like Fraser or somewhere, by the Dairy Queen I think, and one on Main street near where the Volkswagon dealership is, but I know those two have been gone for a loooong time, sigh.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Actually, there are some older buildings in Van that have wash bays that it seems like anyone can just drive up and use :) The one I'm thinking of is in Burnaby.

·
Registered
126 Posts
there is a place called AutoWash in North Vancouver on Main St. near the 2nd Narrows. It has self service dog wash bays that are coin operated....worth a shot??

I have a wash bay in my condo building, so not an issue for me, never used the one in North Van.

·
Registered
510 Posts
there is a place called AutoWash in North Vancouver on Main St. near the 2nd Narrows. It has self service dog wash bays that are coin operated....worth a shot??

I have a wash bay in my condo building, so not an issue for me, never used the one in North Van.
i've seen this place, its quite the operation. i've always wanted to give it a try, its quite near my office actually. I think i'll try one of the 'dog bays' this week, in the interest of BCSB research, i'll post my findings.

Also, top marks to the Sea to Sky car wash on industrial way in squamish. Lots of bays, no bullshit token system in place, and makes for a nice pitstop thats not starbucks in squamish. Got my whip washed up for less than 4$ a few weekends ago.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
@blueflamegsxr : no luck with my building having a wash station. And even the water outlets are cut-off.

Lots of great ideas, thanks! I'm going to try the North Vancouver one and the Squamish ones and will also report back.

North Shore Auto Wash - Car Wash
(http://www.autowash.ca/home.html)
1501 Main St
North Vancouver, BC V7J 1E1

Sea to Sky Carwash
http://seatoskycarwash.com/
1113 INDUSTRIAL WAY,
SQUAMISH, BC, V8B0H1, CANADA

·
Premium Member
9,052 Posts
If you take you bike on day-rides away from Vancouver, get in the habit of spraying down your bike at a wand wash on your way home. That way you can use wand washes on the North Shore, Coquitlam, NewWest, Chilliwack, etc. Been doing that for years and while it doesn't completely clean your bike, it sure does get 90% of the bugs and dirt off, making for a 5 min detail job once you are back home.

·
Green
2,290 Posts
The one in north van is all automated, non touch.

The dog bay is a small room not suitable for a motorcycle. But I could be wrong.

Finding a wand wash is the play. They are a dime a dozen in the OK, I spray my bike, car nearly daily. But they have all dissapeared down here.

·
lover of twins
6,128 Posts

·
Registered
3,083 Posts
I've got an outside hose bib on a side lane that I use for washing up my bike. If it's just occasional use and prearranged ( so my wife and/or others in the house don't get surprised), I have no problem with you washing up at my place. I'm at roughly 22nd and Oak - not sure if that's convenient for you. PM me...

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
I've got an outside hose bib on a side lane that I use for washing up my bike. If it's just occasional use and prearranged ( so my wife and/or others in the house don't get surprised), I have no problem with you washing up at my place. I'm at roughly 22nd and Oak - not sure if that's convenient for you. PM me...
Now there's a nice guy!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Nice guy indeed! Thanks @doser, proves there's fine people out there still. I ended going to (north van's dog area is a hassle)

Royal Oak Wash
http://royaloakcarwash.ca/
6900 Royal Oak Avenue,
Burnaby, BCV5J4J2

Turns out I only had to use 2 tokens ($4). Got it done quick! The pressure wash was useful to clean the tires, but used the wash without the pressure for the rest, it's enough that you can get the soap off without sending water into unexpected electrical crevices. So, t'was good. Found it that detailing was a pain though. The brush is made for cars, big and clunky, definitely not good to wash under the bike or on the sides of the engine (just under the fairings). So tonight gonna follow @syncro's advice and get a sprayer and toothbrush to clean the engine.

Next time what I'd do is just take the sprayer and the tooth brush, 1) de-gunk and wash the engine bits on the parking side with soap (grease-cleaner for the hard bits), 2) put in a token ($2) which gives you 3 mins, soap the rest (seriously you don't need more than 1 min for that. 3) change the dial to "wash" and rinse all in the 2 mins left. Done, wash for a toonie.

·
I like traffic cones :S
15,773 Posts
With those brushes, be careful and check em first for debris.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts