BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Fast Pack Slow Guy
4,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To lighten up all of the 'rider down' stories on the boards for the past few days, I wanted to share my motorcycling zen experience from today.

I'm in Maui at the moment, so I rented a Honda 750 Shadow today and rode up and around the Haleakala volcano. Perfect 80 degrees with only a few puffy clouds in sight. Hawaii doesn't have a helmet law and the helmets they provide at the bike rental shop are massive piles of crap, so I Top Gunned it all day. Riding without a helmet feels like screwing a Bankok hooker without a condom on - so dangerous but feels so good, especially in the tropical heat. The Shadow didn't want to do much more than 100kph anyhow, so I kept it to the speed limit most of the ride and rode like gramma on her way to church.

Up around Hwy 31 is where it got interesting. What little traffic there was totallly vanished and I was riding along the side of the volcano on newly paved assfault, weaving through the volcanic rock formations and charging over little hills and burms. The view was massive around each corner, with unfettered vistas of the horizon into the South Pacific and majestic scenery of beaches far below.

I rode for about 3.5 hours and then returned to the condo we're renting for a little chill time, but not without a traditional rest at Starbucks for a few minutes for a tasty iced caffienated bevvy.

I was looking forward to this day since I put my bike away for winter last November.

I got the Shadow until tomorrow evening, so I'm going to go explore the North Shore all day tomorrow, and watch the surfers do their thing.

Life pretty much ruled today.

Thanks for reading.

·
Addicted to speed
237 Posts
"Riding without a helmet feels like screwing a Bankok hooker without a condom on - so dangerous but feels so good"

hahaha fuckin hilarious. Sounds like a good time man

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Hey man, that's one of my dreams - gotta rent a bike and ride around Hawaii. Explored a bit in India, Australia and scootered around China. Definitely want to do Hawaii.

Who did you go with and how much did it cost?
Thanks

·
Fast Pack Slow Guy
4,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
$90 per day with Island Riders.

·
West Koots, I'm here....
3,226 Posts
OH I know that feeling well......... thanks for reminding me.
Which part, the helmet or hooker?:evilgrin

·
Get to da choppah!
1,133 Posts
Mmmmmm, reminds me of when I rented a beemer 650GS in Interlaken last summer...

·
Old Dirty Bastard
1,650 Posts
I know that feeling...love the Bankok hooker analogy!

When I was kid, I used to ride my Triumph Bonneville in Pt. Roberts where there was no helmet law.

Although I wouldn't ride without a lid today, I can understand why so many people love to do it.

·
BADUNKADUNK
1,408 Posts
Tattoodles said:
Riding without a helmet feels like screwing a Bankok hooker without a condom on
Thanks, now I know exactly what it feels like to ride without a helmet on. LOL

·
Registered
11,614 Posts
Very cool. Thanks for bragging! :D

·
Registered
622 Posts
Your two wheeled experience in Maui sounds a little better than mine was...possibly because I was on a scooter. Still fun though. Just make sure you dont get a farmers tan from riding in the sun all day.

·
Born to be WILD
2,495 Posts
Tattoodles said:
To lighten up all of the 'rider down' stories on the boards for the past few days, I wanted to share my motorcycling zen experience from today.

I'm in Maui at the moment, so I rented a Honda 750 Shadow today and rode up and around the Haleakala volcano. Perfect 80 degrees with only a few puffy clouds in sight. Hawaii doesn't have a helmet law and the helmets they provide at the bike rental shop are massive piles of crap, so I Top Gunned it all day. Riding without a helmet feels like screwing a Bankok hooker without a condom on - so dangerous but feels so good, especially in the tropical heat. The Shadow didn't want to do much more than 100kph anyhow, so I kept it to the speed limit most of the ride and rode like gramma on her way to church.

Up around Hwy 31 is where it got interesting. What little traffic there was totallly vanished and I was riding along the side of the volcano on newly paved assfault, weaving through the volcanic rock formations and charging over little hills and burms. The view was massive around each corner, with unfettered vistas of the horizon into the South Pacific and majestic scenery of beaches far below.

I rode for about 3.5 hours and then returned to the condo we're renting for a little chill time, but not without a traditional rest at Starbucks for a few minutes for a tasty iced caffienated bevvy.

I was looking forward to this day since I put my bike away for winter last November.

I got the Shadow until tomorrow evening, so I'm going to go explore the North Shore all day tomorrow, and watch the surfers do their thing.

Life pretty much ruled today.

Thanks for reading.

They have starbucks in Hawaii???:coffee

·
Posing with conviction
5,396 Posts
Good tale Adam!

Have others rented bikes when they go vacationing around the US?

When you factor in tire wear, maintenance costs and those surprise repairs, $90 a day is a very good deal, if you ask me. Plus you don't have to haul you don't have to get your bike down there (this assumes you are going on a family trip and are sneaking away for a day of riding, so riding your bike down isn't an option).

·
Fast Pack Slow Guy
4,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That's the daily rental price, too. Weekly was around $350 per week, so it's even more affordable for the longer haul. It's actually cheaper than the car we're renting while we're on the island.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts