BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 20 of 118 Posts

·
can't decide
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey hey hey,

i'm holly. i'm currently living in sydney australia and at the end of this year (whenever i get the money and citizenship and passports sorted - be it august or hopefully no later than october) i'm moving to vancouver, bc.

so, no, i've never been - but i'm eligible for citizenship as my mum was born there as were 4 other generations or more. and i'm sick of australia - want something new and exciting!

i guess i'm just wondering what places to look at namely to live. i don't know much obviously, but i've been thinking richmond? it's close to the airport though, so would it be crazy loud? is it a $h!thole?

just looking for suggestions - yes, i'd rather be close to the city even though i'm more of a country girl... i kind of love convenience too, so having chinese food and the movies and cafes close by would be awesome.

i love the look of victoria island, but don't like the cost of the ferry with my motorcycle each time - that would add up quickly!

i'd rather not have to travel more than 30 minutes to get to the city centre - is that a bad thing?

probably just buy a cheaper apartment, with 2+ bedrooms, hopefully in a nice neighbourhood with undercover parking for my bike...

ah i'm rambling. sorry! :)

xx
hols

·
Bad Motherfucker
2,457 Posts
No such thing as 'Cheap apt"... Stay in Aus... wish I could move there..... lol

·
Fookin Prawn
7,006 Posts
A cheap 2 bedroom apartment in the city is north of $600,000. There's no such thing as a secure underground for your bike either.

Unless you're fluent in Cantonese/Mandarin I wouldn't bother with Richmond :laughing .

It's Vancouver Island, Victoria is the capital city.

·
can't decide
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A cheap 2 bedroom apartment in the city is north of $600,000. There's no such thing as a secure underground for your bike either.

Unless you're fluent in Cantonese/Mandarin I wouldn't bother with Richmond :laughing .

It's Vancouver Island, Victoria is the capital city.
Haha whoops - Vancouver Island.

What's wrong with living with people who speak another language? :/ Is the area nice?

·
Three hour tour guide
8,750 Posts
Hey Hols, sorry but I gather my daughter never got in touch as I said she would, kids, what are you going to do...

Richmond is fine, I live here.

On this forum you will find you'll get a lot of nonsense answers and folks promoting their own agendas and prejudices, you have to be able to separate the good info from the crap.

Good luck and feel free to PM me any time on here or the other...

·
can't decide
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey Holls, sorry but I gather my daughter never got in touch as I said she would, kids, what are you going to do...

Richmond is fine, I live here.

On this forum you will find you'll get a lot of nonsense answers and folks promoting their own agendas and prejudices, you have to be able to separate the good info from the crap.

Good luck and feel free to PM me any time on here or the other...
that's cool - i'm a pretty efficient house hunter! :) i'll pm you soon - and i've been on various forums before, nothing gets to me... don't feed the trolls ;)

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
north shore, close to tons of recreation and close proximity to dt. or burnaby, centrally located and close to everything.

·
awful human
3,139 Posts
hey hey hey,

i'm holly. i'm currently living in sydney australia and at the end of this year (whenever i get the money and citizenship and passports sorted - be it august or hopefully no later than october) i'm moving to vancouver, bc.

so, no, i've never been - but i'm eligible for citizenship as my mum was born there as were 4 other generations or more. and i'm sick of australia - want something new and exciting!

i guess i'm just wondering what places to look at namely to live. i don't know much obviously, but i've been thinking richmond? it's close to the airport though, so would it be crazy loud? is it a $h!thole?

just looking for suggestions - yes, i'd rather be close to the city even though i'm more of a country girl... i kind of love convenience too, so having chinese food and the movies and cafes close by would be awesome.

i love the look of victoria island, but don't like the cost of the ferry with my motorcycle each time - that would add up quickly!

i'd rather not have to travel more than 30 minutes to get to the city centre - is that a bad thing?

probably just buy a cheaper apartment, with 2+ bedrooms, hopefully in a nice neighbourhood with undercover parking for my bike...

ah i'm rambling. sorry! :)

xx
hols
Go to Whistler, you know you want to.

:laughing:laughing:laughing:laughing:laughing:laughing:laughing

·
From N00bie to Wannabe
4,839 Posts
Please stand by hols.
I can hear bandildo's reply being prepared as we speak!

·
can't decide
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Plenty under 600K.

Also, sydney is just as expensive if not more so.

Finding a decent place near the city will cost you 650+ at the absolute minimum unless it's a tiny 1 bed and bathroom etc. Often, 1.5 mill is about the minimum for within 20-30 minutes of the city.

Here's a few I found on a quick search just then:
http://www.realtor.com/realestatean...1_Vancouver_Bc_V6p6y1_M42361-38984?source=web

http://www.realtor.com/realestatean...8_Vancouver_Bc_V6z2s8_M39847-53086?source=web

http://www.realtor.com/realestatean...9_Vancouver_Bc_V6b6m3_M31337-88070?source=web

http://www.realtor.com/realestatean...8_Vancouver_Bc_V6j4x9_M42330-36801?source=web

http://www.realtor.com/realestatean...5_Vancouver_Bc_V6z3g6_M38509-31942?source=web

this one sounds awesome - it's so large!
http://www.realtor.com/realestatean...6_Vancouver_Bc_V6h3w9_M36299-93725?source=web

·
Dam I got old fast
1,027 Posts
More popcorn, this girl should fit right in around here!

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
Haha whoops - Vancouver Island.

What's wrong with living with people who speak another language? :/ Is the area nice?
Don't mind frosty. He is a racist. Just ignore him and he goes away.

But... Bring a f#cking umbrella.

·
02 Busa outa Poco
582 Posts
You say your a bit of a country girl then you don't want to live in richmond, or burnaby, honestly unless you have a ton of cash your going to have to be realistic about what you want and move out to either surrey or langley or north of the fraser in pitt meadows or maple ridge. Any of these places your looking at about an hour drive to downtown but there are thousands of people that do that drive everyday including myself. Housing here is ridiculously expensive. the market is in a bubble. Better to rent for a few years first, decide where you want to live because the lower mainland is really diverse and you may find there are areas you really would not want to live.

·
can't decide
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Now we are past the small talk.

Do you like Chicken Wings?
Not only are they useful for chickens, they're also delicious for me!

Meat eater through and through. Nom. Now you've made me hungry... bacon and eggs for breaky me thinks.

·
Got Hammer?
5,552 Posts
Hard question to answer without knowing more about what your plans are and what you intend to do here. It sounds like costs of living are a bit of a concern and you don't neccessarily have any ties to a particular community. Are you thinking customer service/resturaunt gigs to pay the bills while you explore and have fun? Do you have any specific skills/training that are transferrable here? If you like winter stuff and can handle smaller communities, I would add a lot more communities to the list.

·
can't decide
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
You say your a bit of a country girl then you don't want to live in richmond, or burnaby, honestly unless you have a ton of cash your going to have to be realistic about what you want and move out to either surrey or langley or north of the fraser in pitt meadows or maple ridge. Any of these places your looking at about an hour drive to downtown but there are thousands of people that do that drive everyday including myself. ....
NO WAY! NEVER AGAIN! I used to make a 40km trip (80k's return) each day for work from where I lived to the city. 1 hour, or 45 minutes on a good day with little traffic and riding enthusiastically.

And then working an 8-10 hour day, and then getting home again - I had almost no energy whatsoever on the weekends as I'm a hard worker and I don't just go to work to sit around and do nothing. I wore myself out. I now travel 15 minutes to one job, and got a trial for a second job which is 18-20 minutes away. Don't want to travel much longer than that at all!

I might be a rural girl at heart (house, a couple of acres, horses, dogs, the whole shebang) but I'm being realistic and an apartment will do me fine, so long as on the weekends I can head outdoors and go to nice open places and not be near the city.

1 - 20 of 118 Posts