BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. I am taking my MST on May 4th and wondering if anyone has done one recently? Did you find it difficult? Were they pretty strict? Did you get more than chance?

It has taken a month to get this appointment so I really want to pass as I am sure it will take another month to book again. Its sucks having to ride with a "supervisor" all the time. Although all my Class 6 buddies are awesome it would be nice to just get on it a go.

Thanks for any insite you can offer.

:)

·
I'm a she-male.
1,410 Posts
I did it with action. They practice each part with you over and over, then you get to practice what you need. Then when you do it, there's only 1 chance and they don't tell you anything.

golf4me said:
Hello everyone. I am taking my MST on May 4th and wondering if anyone has done one recently? Did you find it difficult? Were they pretty strict? Did you get more than chance?

It has taken a month to get this appointment so I really want to pass as I am sure it will take another month to book again. Its sucks having to ride with a "supervisor" all the time. Although all my Class 6 buddies are awesome it would be nice to just get on it a go.

Thanks for any insite you can offer.

:)

·
Thanks for that...
672 Posts
Easiest test in the world. You'll be laughing and wondering what the waste of time was in the first place.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the reply but I should have specified.

Anyone done the skill test through ICBC?
I have heard about the bike schools....sounds beneficial but at this point I am going the ICBC route and was just looking for some tips.

cd

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Miguel said:
Easiest test in the world. You'll be laughing and wondering what the waste of time was in the first place.
Really?? Well that is a relief? Do you think they help you to pass???

·
8=(,,,)==D
458 Posts
Appointment? Since when did you need an appointment for the MST?

Its only a 10min test. Just don't drop the bike or touch the ground with your feet while making turns and you'll pass.

·
I'm a she-male.
1,410 Posts
Well i think it depends on your confidence and skill (duh). I failed it the first time. So did another guy from my class. Yeh, i know i suck.

I called ICBC, in Burnaby between 10-3 M-F they will take drop in for MST+road test all at once.

·
Magyar ember
431 Posts
Yes its very easy! Just practicing riding very slowly. Also practice doing a sudden stop without locking up your tires from about 40kmh. Slow speed turning, braking and shifting from 1st to 2nd is all thats too it. Good luck.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Like integra, I took the Action course. But just make sure you u-turns are solid and that you can slow maneuver...peice 'a' cake.

·
Mmm...beer
2,144 Posts
All the MSA test is, is slow-speed manuevers. Practice a short slalom in a parking lot using anything to swerve between, could be pop cans. Do a tight u-turn, no throttle, just idle speed. Last part of it was an emergency stop, basically just get up to 25 km/hr, then stop as quickly as you can. I found the test really easy, and couldnt believe thats all I needed to do to ride on my own.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
its pretty easy...the biggest piece of advice i can give you is to stay calm. If you make a mistake, you won't automatically fail; even if your feet touch the ground or you stall..its not an automatic fail.

practice uturns and the slow ride.

1 month for appointment? burnaby is drop in so you just have to show up...

·
Thanks for that...
672 Posts
golf4me said:
Really?? Well that is a relief? Do you think they help you to pass???
I did mine at ICBC, with no schooling from Action or anything. It is ridiculously easy. I practiced and practiced and practied u-turns in parking lots. When I got there the test is less than 10 minutes and I almost felt cheated for practicing so hard for such an easy test, lol. They are pretty nice about it too. You can make a few mistakes and still be fine.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hey thanks to all of you for your advice. At least now i know what to except.

I am fairly confindent....but I will keep you posted K!! May 4th.......then independance!!!!!!!!!!!!!Ya hooo!!

cd

·
Thanks for that...
672 Posts
Well, from what I remember the test consists of.
Pushing your bike to a point. Turning your handle bars as sharp as they go, and pushing it (sitting or walking beside, your call) 180 degrees so they know your turning radius, they add 1.5 metres. Take bike back to the point you started, and ride in a straight line with your instructor walking beside you. Do that twice. You have to do two u-turns both directions. A slalom twice. Right hand and left hand "traffic style" turns. And some emergency braking. When you break ONLY PUT YOUR LEFT FOOT DOWN! To show "controlled braking" That you're using the rear brake. PM if you got some questions, I know this was kind of unclear.

·
The Comedy is in the Back
11,948 Posts
make sure your bike doesnt stall under low rpms lol, i had that issue. otherwise its pretty simple, just gotta go around in a snake formation avoiding some cones, lol

·
I'm a she-male.
1,410 Posts
There are a couple things that have auto fail and stop test. There are a few mistakes you can make and it's ok. but i forget which is which. Speaking of which, are these forms available to us for viewing? I want to know what i will be marked on for my road test.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
F1_Fan said:
I believe that if you leave the course (that is, you completely blow a corner and go outside the cones) then that's an immediate fail and the test will stop. *I think* a sustained lock-up on the emergency braking will fail you (skid and brake modulation to correct it is OK though). As long as the evaluator is talking to you you're still in the game.
well, the guy in front of me stalled when he did the stop...and he didn't get an automatic fail for that. A rear tire lock-up...depends on the examiner..some will fail you ..some wont. Leaving the course...yeah..well...>_> not doing what the examiner said isnt good

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Stewy said:
Why everyone gets so worried about road tests is beyond me.
skills test stewy, not road test.

dropping the bike is pretty much auto fail. a stoppie, probably a fail.

if you hit cones on your slalom, chances are you get docked and do it again.

make sure that you not only stop and put your left foot down, you stop in 1st gear too.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
have no worries, its easy as long as your are used to riding slow.

the girl i had seemed pretty strict (actually really really strict) on me but at the end, all she did was give me a little advice (locked my back tire but it was pissing down rain in january when i did the test), and she had me do two u turns, on the second one through i for some retarded reason put my foot down. oh and i also have the bad habit of putting my right foor down (taking the bike out of gear when stopped) which is a no no.

even with those little mess ups she passed me.

just don't be nervous, take it easy, and just keep it slow and controlled. u'll be fine

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Red the Dog said:
have no worries, its easy as long as your are used to riding slow.

the girl i had seemed pretty strict (actually really really strict) on me but at the end, all she did was give me a little advice (locked my back tire but it was pissing down rain in january when i did the test), and she had me do two u turns, on the second one through i for some retarded reason put my foot down. oh and i also have the bad habit of putting my right foor down (taking the bike out of gear when stopped) which is a no no.

even with those little mess ups she passed me.

just don't be nervous, take it easy, and just keep it slow and controlled. u'll be fine
you're supposed to do two u-turns. most things, they make you do twice...or at least they'll make you do the same thing + somethign else

1 - 20 of 23 Posts