BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Terror on the Terrafirma
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've checked the BCSB FAQ, did a forum search as well as scan through the Motor Vehicle Act [MVA] but I can't find where it describes exactly what the helmet laws are in BC... does anyone know [remember 10,000 opinions aren't worth 1 exact definition of the law]
Also I was pulled over by a VPD motorcycle cop and he told me my aftermarket signals were illegal... they're not flush mount and the way the MVA reads they're totally legal - he didn't tell me why, just that they were. I'll try to take a pic and let you guys be the judge. The Kawi's have flush mount signals but apparantly their legal??
My fender eliminator was also illegal but only because there was nothing to light up the plate. He was cool and didn't bust me, but I'd really like to know how these guys are interpreting the law... I don't mind playing by the rules, I just would like to know what they are!

·
Get to da choppah!
1,133 Posts
Regarding turn signals etc, I'd also like to get more info. I was under the impression that there is a minimum required distance between the left and right signals. I'm fairly sure my integrated signals are in violation of that, but I'd like to confirm.
I too have a fender eliminator without a licence plate light. Though, it's mounted directly beneath the tail lights which are constantly illuminated. So, technically my plate is lit. Though, I'm sure according to the MVA it's still not legal.

I'd like to know more though :)

·
Fast Pack Slow Guy
4,722 Posts
I remember a post recently that spelled out the MVA on turn signals and license plate mounting. The skinny of it was that if it isn't OEM, it's ticket city.

I'm just wondering what would stop anyone from taking photos of their motorcycle in completely stock trim to court with them and claim that there never was aftermarket anything at the time of the ticket. I know, lieing is bad but really, what's to stop someone?

·
Ghost SV Rider
1,469 Posts
Warning: I'm relying on my bad memory. :D

Regarding turn signals, I remember that you must have a specific distance from the centre of the headlight to the centre/closest part of the turn signal. Obviously the lights have to be seperated by a "reasonable" distance.

As for the plate holder, I think it has to be a white light to illuminate the plate, not your red brake lights.

If it's illegal to "modify" your bike... I wouldn't know. That requires a LOT more checking. The MVA is actually very easy to search online. I'm just too lazy at the moment.

·
Jackie Chan's stuntdouble
1,535 Posts
For the helmet regulations, it's all there in the MVA, and MVA Regulations.

Basically, you are required to wear a helmet, and there is a list of approved helmets. If you pay attention, you'll notice you are required to wear a helmet, not necessarily an approved helmet.

That's something of a moot issue as the approved list is out of date and none on the list are still manufactured.

·
Terror on the Terrafirma
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Can anyone give me a quick link to the MVA... the one on the gov site that I went through had all sorts of stuff but nothing specific to what I'm looking for. It included cars, trucks, tractors and trailers but nothing really focused on motorcycles; Google just keeps bringing up bicycle helmet laws in BC.
It shouldn't be this hard to find - hopefully someone has it in their favs.

D

·
0 Posts
search for "approved helmets"

it's been covered, and all the links and facts are there. several of the better threads are in the rider's gear forum.

·
Registered
12 Posts
TerrorFirma said:
Can anyone give me a quick link to the MVA... the one on the gov site that I went through had all sorts of stuff but nothing specific to what I'm looking for. It included cars, trucks, tractors and trailers but nothing really focused on motorcycles; Google just keeps bringing up bicycle helmet laws in BC.
It shouldn't be this hard to find - hopefully someone has it in their favs.
here are some of the sections.

Licence plate lamp

4.16 (1) The rear licence plate of a vehicle must be illuminated by a lamp that is capable of displaying only white light so that the numbers on the licence plate are legible from a distance of 15 m to the rear of the vehicle.

(2) The lamp required by subsection (1)

(a) must illuminate whenever the headlamps or parking lamps are illuminated, and

(b) must not project white light to the rear of the vehicle.

here are the rest of the links

http://www.qp.gov.bc.ca/statreg/reg/M/MotorVehicle/26_58/26_58-00.htm

http://www.qp.gov.bc.ca/statreg/stat/M/96318_00.htm

I hope it helps

·
Registered
12 Posts
Tattoodles said:
I remember a post recently that spelled out the MVA on turn signals and license plate mounting. The skinny of it was that if it isn't OEM, it's ticket city.

I'm just wondering what would stop anyone from taking photos of their motorcycle in completely stock trim to court with them and claim that there never was aftermarket anything at the time of the ticket. I know, lieing is bad but really, what's to stop someone?

The problem with that situation is some police cruisers are equiped with in- car cameras and can be used as evidence.

Oh ya the other thing is it's perjury to lie in court.

That can be real bad.:evilgrin

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
Motorcycle Man said:
For the helmet regulations, it's all there in the MVA, and MVA Regulations.
Actually, it's not. The MVA was superceeded years ago by a Letter from the Minister of Highways that states that the working definition of a motorcycle helmet in BC is one that has (my paraphrasing here):

a) a hard outer shell
b) a padded inner layer
c) a chin strap

That's it. Ministerial letters are commonly used to define interpretations of Acts, I run into them all the time in PST leglislation in BC. In this case, it saves them the trouble of actually bothering to set a standard and updating the legislation as needed.

It trips up a lot of new RCMP that move here, because they read the MVA, but don't know about the Letter. Then you get a bunch of people pulled over for beanies, brand new Shoei's etc. until someone from BCCOM contacts their supervisor and gets the charges dropped.

I've seen a copy of the letter years ago, but never kept a copy of it. Anyone have it (BCCOM maybe? They always seem to know about it.)

·
Registered
8,725 Posts
Become a member of BCCOM.
For $40 per year, THEY WILL fight those questionable tickets for you.
Questionable tickets include helmet tickets.
They will not fight speeding tickets for you as they are not questionable.

·
Registered
401 Posts
ocs811 said:
here are some of the sections.

Licence plate lamp

4.16 (1) The rear licence plate of a vehicle must be illuminated by a lamp that is capable of displaying only white light so that the numbers on the licence plate are legible from a distance of 15 m to the rear of the vehicle.

(2) The lamp required by subsection (1)

(a) must illuminate whenever the headlamps or parking lamps are illuminated, and

(b) must not project white light to the rear of the vehicle.

here are the rest of the links

http://www.qp.gov.bc.ca/statreg/reg/M/MotorVehicle/26_58/26_58-00.htm

http://www.qp.gov.bc.ca/statreg/stat/M/96318_00.htm

I hope it helps
That is a good link thanks. Makes me see that I could get into a lot of crap. But I am finding that you guys in the coastal area get a lot more hassel from the police then those of us out of the area. The police here only bug the Harley riders.

·
Get to da choppah!
1,133 Posts
Turn signal devices
4.13 (1) A vehicle may be equipped and mounted with

(a) a lamp type turn signal system, or

(b) a semaphore turn signal device,

functionally equivalent to original equipment supplied by the vehicle manufacturer or of a type or make approved by the director.

(2) A lamp type turn signal system must

(a) have 2 lamps, mounted on the front of the vehicle, that are capable of displaying flashes of white or amber light which are visible to the front,

(b) have 2 lamps, mounted on the rear of the vehicle, that are capable of displaying flashes of red or amber light which are visible to the rear,

(c) be visible on each side of the vehicle at a distance of 100 m in normal sunlight at an angle of 45° from the longitudinal axis of the vehicle, and

(d) include a tell-tale lamp which gives a clear indication that the system is activated.

(3) During the time specified in section 4.01, a semaphore turn signal device must be capable of illumination by light or reflection visible from a distance of 100 m.

(4) A public passenger vehicle or a commercial vehicle that weighs more than 4 500 kg may be equipped with supplementary turn signal lamps in addition to the turn signal system required by subsection (2).

(5) A turn signal lamp must be mounted on the vehicle at a height of not less than 38 cm and not more than 1.83 m.

(6) Subsection (5) does not apply to highway construction vehicles, maintenance vehicles, tow cars or vehicles being towed by a tow car.

(7) A vehicle which is being transported in a drive-away/tow-away operation, or is being towed by a tow car, must have turn signals that are synchronized with the turn signals of the towing vehicle when the tow vehicle turn signals are illuminated.

(8) Despite subsection (5), a tow car may be equipped with supplementary turn signal lamps mounted within the maximum allowable vehicle height (4.15 m) and as far forward as the rear of the cab.

(9) The centre of the front signal lamps must be at least 10 cm from the edge of the low beam headlamps

[en. B.C. Reg. 476/98, s. 2; am. B.C. Reg. 135/2003, s.1.]

Interestingly, it says nothing about a required distance between the signals. So, as long as you can see my integrated signals past my highmount from 45 degrees to the longitudinal axis of my bike, I guess I'm ok! :)

·
builder of bikes
4,802 Posts
Remove your turn signals. It's legal then.

But you must use hand signals. I rode like that for a long time. I actually felt safer most of the time.

·
Get to da choppah!
1,133 Posts
So, I was going over the MVA again in an attempt to find regulations pertaining to motorcycle rear-view mirrors. Maybe I'm just blind, but I couldn't find anything. Anyone know the scoop on mirrors?

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
Rear views?
I think it's in the Motor Vehicle Act Regulations.
(bigger book than the Act) but I don't have the link handy at the moment.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts