BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
Easyrider are you installing the NOS yourself ? I would be really interested in doing that on my 6R, can you explain how much it would cost ? any side effects ? long term engine damage ?

·
Premium Member
11,195 Posts
These two items were clipped from a thread in Buy and Sell and moved here. Have fun guys....

NOS on a 12R.........:eek

·
Super Moderator
5,114 Posts
BMatthews said:
NOS on a 12R.........:eek
= hold on for dear life and be prepared to get sent.... BACK... TO DA FUTURE! lol :) :laughing :laughing

I dunno if I wanna use NOS on a daily street ride bike, not sure what kind of longevity it does to the engine, but my guess is you'll need keep a good watchful eye on any problems and you'll probably need a rebuild much sooner if you use NOS frequently??

D

·
0 Posts
Wow i thought i was a need for speed freak but frankly.. you guys are NUTS!

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
what's wrong with a bit of NOS ? :rolleyes not like I would use it everyday, those cans are quite costly but just imagine, straight road, me cruising along, busa/12R flies by, I turn nos on, I fly by......:roflmao, you get the picture

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Human said:
what's wrong with a bit of NOS ? :rolleyes not like I would use it everyday, those cans are quite costly but just imagine, straight road, me cruising along, busa/12R flies by, I turn nos on, I fly by......:roflmao, you get the picture
I don't know whether NOS is legal on tracks.. but that sounds like the kind of activity that is best suited for one.. :p

Jim.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Oh my god. That's kinda funny in a way. Hope the guy had fire coverage.:laughing

·
Premium Member
11,195 Posts
There was a story about a guy that forgot he had a scuba tank in his trunk. Parked in a bank lot on a hot day, the bottle pressure went up past the safety limit, it was in the days before the valves had safety releases and BOOM. Tank ripped apart the whole rear of the car and shot across the parking lot and tore a hole in the concrete block wall of the bank. No one was hurt fortunetly but the bottle's remains were inside the teller's area at the end of it.

The only difference here is that NOS burns........ quite well by the looks of it........ :eek

·
Registered
872 Posts
N2O (nitrous oxide) is legal both on the track and on the street.

With a well tuned setup N2O will not make an engine wear any quicker.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
As far as I know, N2O is not legal on the street unless you have the proper paperwork and placards to carry dangerous goods. Anyone have any info on this?

Jim.

·
Registered
872 Posts
Big Jim said:
As far as I know, N2O is not legal on the street unless you have the proper paperwork and placards to carry dangerous goods. Anyone have any info on this?

Jim.
Not true. The reason is N2O is not considered a dangerous good unless there is more than 20lb's worth on the vehicle. N2O is also NON flammable. It is an Oxidizer.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Anything over 20lbs is considered comercial shipping and you need a dangerous goods license to carry it. But I have one so it would not matter for me:D. But nos is illigal if its connected and push button ready, as long as the hose is off they cannot ticket you or charge you at all.;)

·
Registered
872 Posts
That is also not try Ryan,

There is no law in BC (north america actually) saying you are not allowed to use nitrous. Just like there is no law saying you cant use a turbocharger.

The government TRIED to have nitrous outlawed in Nevada about a year ago but S.E.M.A. stepped in and lobbied and won.

They were trying to make it illegal to use on the street.

for more info check www.sema.org

EDIT : correction, I checked with sema, Nebraska and georgia tried to ban nitrous from public highways. both of these were shut down as there is no legit reason to ban nitrous.

There are already speeding laws in place to take care of speeders.

·
Registered
872 Posts
Xyban said:
Isn't it NO2?>
nope. NO2 would be Nitrous Dioxide (does this even exist ?)

Nitrous oxide splits up at around 572 degrees (i think) and turns into 2 nitrogen atoms and one oxygen atom (pure oxygen) the pure oxigen causes a hotter faster burn (more torque due to increased cylinder pressure)

The nitrogen acts as a buffer to avoid detonation and helps to cool things down.

if it was NO2 it would i guess split up into nitrogen and O2 which is water.

:thumbup

·
Premium Member
11,195 Posts
jonathan said:

nope. NO2 would be Nitrous Dioxide (does this even exist ?)

Nitrous oxide splits up at around 572 degrees (i think) and turns into 2 nitrogen atoms and one oxygen atom (pure oxygen) the pure oxigen causes a hotter faster burn (more torque due to increased cylinder pressure)

The nitrogen acts as a buffer to avoid detonation and helps to cool things down.

if it was NO2 it would i guess split up into nitrogen and O2 which is water.

:thumbup
That's a provisional pass in Chemistry for you Jonathan

Nitrous is actually N2O. So you got that one right but that bit about water is off. Water is H2O. And splitting it makes 2 atoms of hydrogen and one of oxygen. Read chapter 7 of the text and there will be a review test tomorrow......... :D

1 - 20 of 36 Posts