BC Sport Bikes Forum banner
61 - 80 of 109 Posts
I didn't feel like making my own thread, soooo....

I've been pricing out gear(roughly) and, for good leathers I keep coming up with a price around $1000. This'll be my first gear, should I be spending this much? If it's worth anything, I'm looking at an Icon helmet, Alpinestars jacket, tour master pants(not sure how good they'd be for street?) and Shift racing boots.

Yea, Nay? Anybodies opinion?
$1000 seems a bit much for your first leathers. Especially if you are looking right now in the off season. Are you talking about the whole package deal (including helmet and boots) for the $1000? If so, then that seems like a fair price for everything.

I know a lot of people are against it...but try on different leathers in store for sizing then check on ebay. http://parts.listings.ebay.ca/Motor...QQfromZR11QQsacatZ6750QQsocmdZListingItemList

I bought a 1 piece Joe Rocket leather suit brand new on ebay for just under $300 shipped. Retail in store was close to $1000. ( <----as pictured in my avatar) I know I like to support the local stores...but thats just too much of a price difference to pass up.

Yeah it's whole thing. I'm with you too, I'd really like to support local shops, but NewEnough.com has an HJC helmet for $70, not to mention the Shift boots for $100 :rolleyes I haven't seen those boots anywhere else, but $100 seems like a great price for them.

Yeah it's whole thing. I'm with you too, I'd really like to support local shops, but NewEnough.com has an HJC helmet for $70, not to mention the Shift boots for $100 :rolleyes I haven't seen those boots anywhere else, but $100 seems like a great price for them.
Yup. Just remember, if you can...try stuff on in stores first. Helmets, the tighter the better. Try one on that feels good, then get a size smaller. (to an extent, you want it to be comfortable) All boot companies fit differently. Its not like shoe sizes. If you are a size 10 boot, chances are you wont be a size 10 bike boot.

Rivercity Cycle is having a huge one day sale on the 16th of Feb. Clean out the shop, selling gear and stuff that is in stock really cheap. Boots and most everything else that you have on your list.

I'm just wondering, did you guys go out and buy all the best equipment right from the start (e.g. when you first started learning)? Do you really need to buy a full suit when you're just starting to learn?
I went out and bought full gear at the start, went top of the line (Arai) on the helmet and bought a one piece leather suit, boots gloves etc. that were probably on the 'disposable' end of the equation from BK. This is several years ago now, late 90's. The Fieldsheer suit was plain black and cost about $400 IIRC, and like the current non-big-name stuff at BK is miles better than denim or textile, and I still think a very good value. The boots were not fully articulated plastic armored but they were all leather and it all did the trick for my first highside. It is all still functional enough to keep as a back-up/passenger suit (except for the helmet, which was a 1-shot deal). The soft armor worked just fine, the big point is that I was in leather, with some kind of armor and a good helmet, and walked away with some bruised ribs and the only permanent damage was to my gear and ego. NO concussion. Money on a helmet is money well spent both on comfort AND protection.

I now have a 2 piece A'stars suit that has nice articulated hard armor and a bit more armored boots (GPS?) but would recommend anyone on the fence to just make sure that it's all covered in leather with *some* kind of armor first and foremost. And get a good helmet and a real back protector.

Yes, the A'stars stuff fits pretty well and looks good, but the big thing in my mind is, YES! get a full suit of some sort, *especially* at the start - you're more likely to need it at the start.

Steve

http://www.newenough.com/protective...lpinestars/rc1_leather_motorcycle_jacket.html

Would this be too much for a first jacket? Just looking for what types of jackets to look for, I'm going for leather though, not textile.

there is not too much of your skin to spare right or body parts to replace? just remember that... of course money decides too but i mean at least don't cheap out... and if you really thing you'll be riding for few years... spending the extra bit right now is better than buying another one next season...

http://www.newenough.com/protective...lpinestars/rc1_leather_motorcycle_jacket.html

Would this be too much for a first jacket? Just looking for what types of jackets to look for, I'm going for leather though, not textile.
There really isn't such a thing as "too much" for a first jacket the way that it's possible to start off with too much for a first bike. If the question is are you are getting too much protection for your needs, the simple answer is you're not. You will never look back and regret buying too much protection for yourself.

Having said all that, there is no way I would spend that much money on something I couldn't try on. If you know for a fact it's going to fit you the way you want, go for it, but if it's your first jacket, it's a $500 gamble. You'd be surprised how differently some gear fits from "normal" clothes sizes, and how brands fit differently from each other.

Has anybody tried anything from here: www.rubbersidedown.ca? Just wundering what the quality is like.
I went and checked them out a few weeks ago. For the money, it's not quite up to par. Leathers weren't that thick and the jackets weighed in light.

It sounds like a good deal when you compare to new retail at the local stores selling at MSRP, but when you consider that they're basically 'replicas' and no-name gear, plus the fact that you can get brand name gear for less money on eBay, there is no comparison.

I bought my Shift M1 jacket from eBay for $150 USD shipped. $200 after duties and tax. It is new, but old stock.

It's an older model but retailed for $475 locally before.

I like to support local stores as well, but Kneedraggers and Motorcycle Superstore and eBay have too big of a price advantage.

u should buy somthing that fits you and is comfy...thats how i see it..a desing is great and all but would u rather look like a poser or feel like a poser?

thanks rosso. i like to support the local shops too but as you said, sometimes the internet prices are just too good.
No problem.

Also, I bought my helmet online, an Arai Quantum II brand new for $350 USD shipped. The seller even declared it as a $45 dollar gift so that I didn't have to pay tax + duties.

Compare this to $899 local tag price + 12% tax. Yikes.

The best I've seen locally for the Quantum II was $600 + tax including a visor at the Bike Show.

Hey, does anyone know where I can pick up this two piece suit? Or what it's called? I'm looking for it in Blue and White - I think it's last years model - Joe Rocket.

I saw it today @ Pacific Yamaha & BMW on sale for $499 but it was a size 40... The jacket fit PERFECTLY but the pants were a bit big. I need to try on a pair of 38's in pants.

I've been searching online and can't find it - any pointers would be appreciated.

Also would anyone recommend wearing a suit like this in the rain - or is that just plain old stupid?

Hey, does anyone know where I can pick up this two piece suit? Or what it's called? I'm looking for it in Blue and White - I think it's last years model - Joe Rocket.

I saw it today @ Pacific Yamaha & BMW on sale for $499 but it was a size 40... The jacket fit PERFECTLY but the pants were a bit big. I need to try on a pair of 38's in pants.

I've been searching online and can't find it - any pointers would be appreciated.

Also would anyone recommend wearing a suit like this in the rain - or is that just plain old stupid?

If its last years model, you may have to look around at all the stores. Chances you probably wont find the exact one you want locally. Try online, Im sure you will be able to find it or something similar.

my thought is give up on the idea of having to have Yamaha branded leathers. If these don't fit you then you will have to deal with returning them.
+1...other branded leathers are probably just as good. Dont get stuck on one just cause it says Yamaha. What if you get another brand bike later on?...then you may be riding a Kawi with Yamaha leathers.

Something like these are fine...

1) http://cgi.ebay.ca/AGVSPORT-LASER-1...oryZ6750QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

2) http://cgi.ebay.ca/AGVSPORT-LASER-1...oryZ6750QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

They don't look as nice IMO. Besides if I ended up scrowning enough money to buy another bike - 1. i would have the $ to buy another suit and 2. the color I choose could be different.
You do have a good point though, but I'm digging the Yamaha branded ones much more. I guess I'll have to keep hunting!

61 - 80 of 109 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.